John Savage (1 Viewer)

BigBear_25

HSC
This is kinda stupid question, but why does john kill himself.

Cause i always thought that we couldn't take living in Brave New World.

But i read else where that he killed him self cause we took part in the orgy.

thank you in advance

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hmm, imo,basicallly the culmination of all the negative emotions he has witnessed in the 'New World', which contrasts with the 'Reservation' caused him to commit suicide, and it was elevated by the bizarre scene at the end. Also, the Savage represents the 'old world' or 'natural world' of the Reservation, and he cant possibly co-exist with the citizens of the BNW, which was Mustapha Monds experiment as well i think. And he proved that he cant survive outside his natural world by commiting suicide.

“But I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin.” - John the Savage

Last edited:

passion89

HSC
By john killing himself, Huxley shows the hopelessness of life in the BNW and how something that has been brought up with emotion and with natural instinct cannot survive in the brave new world. It's a message to the responder that because we have all been (sort of) brought up 'in the wild', slowly giving into a state-controlled society (with no trace of nature left in the world) would surely do us harm.

Take that and link it in with what STx said, expand on it and you have yourself a paragraph =)

DonnaLily

HSC
I just wanna thank you for the answers (even though it's not my question) cause I'm doing a speech through John's eyes, and it's helped me heaps! Thanks!

robo-andie

HSC
The death of John leaves the story with a sense of failure. There is no hope.
His death signifies the harsh resistance to change that is present in this New World.
You link this with Bernard and Helmholtz being moved to an Island, and it is clear that Huxley wants you to see this. Once you are there, you can't go back. This new world will never be any different.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I'd also chip in that a very succint response is that he did it to escape the Brave New World, and ultimately be at one with nature =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)