John W. Howard - Love him or Loath him? (1 Viewer)

John W. Howard - Love him or Loath him?

• Love him mate

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Loath him

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • honestly, dont really give a fuck

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • BOOYAH!

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Well he's the anti Howard really. Supremely talented and down to earth bloke whom has dedicated most of his public life to helping first Paul Keating to remain prime minister then Kim Beazley to almost become prime minister. Only now with Beazley well and truly gone has he embarked upon any real self advancement and since entering the ministry unlike Rudd, Gillard and Swan has really not had a serious charge leveled against him. In short he is beyond reproach.

Stephen Smith is quite handsome. He has a real confident, masculine look, unlike Howard who always seemed like an awkward geek.

In short;

Smith fucks bitches.

Howard fucked the country.

cabina

HSC
John Howard - the golden years.

agreed with whoever posted above, adorable eyebrows and loved that blinky bill kinda voice. so cute <3

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
arguably the worst pm in australian history he contributed nothing except commiting us to wars we had no business being involved in. if you also count his record as treasurer... he easily becomes the worst australian politican

just because I can't emphasise this enough I'll post the wiki article:
Howard Government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everything.... fail (except what he criticised Labor for admitting and then enacted which was a necessary evil) so thats dishonesty if anything (GST)

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
second best, after menzies imo

philphie

Banned
HSC
Howard was not as bad as Menzies. For me either Keating or Whitlam, they were the greats. I wonder what Anthony Albanese would be like as PM, it's about time to have someone from the innerwest be a PM

Lentern

HSC
now i see the reason for the Thatcher avatar.
Irons praising of Thatcher is related to his love of Menzies and Howard but not for the reason you think. He isn't a staunch conservative in the Nick Minchin mold, rather he is easily intoxicated by greatness and grandeur which certainly Menzies and Thatcher oozed. I think Howard was extraordinarily helped by circumstances beyond his or his rivals control in 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2007 and that in the past twenty years there have only been three major party leaders with less ability then Howard. One of them currently leads the liberal party. None the less electoral success seems to conjure high praise no matter how undeserving.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think Howard was clearly the most successful PM after Menzies, but he also had a good solid conservative attitude to government itself I think; most of the time government is about not doing something (contrary to what the labor party says)

Hawke is self-obsessed/evil. It takes great discipline to be blind to your vanity like Howard was

Lentern

HSC
I think Howard was clearly the most successful PM after Menzies, but he also had a good solid conservative attitude to government itself I think; most of the time government is about not doing something (contrary to what the labor party says)

Hawke is self-obsessed/evil. It takes great discipline to be blind to your vanity like Howard was
I forgot about Hawkies agnosticism of course you didn't like him. At any rate the notion that Howard believed in small government is a nonsense. Not since Whitlam have we had a prime minister who extended the arm of federal government so much as Howard.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Who mentioned small government?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
u stupid APE lentern

redmayne

HSC
Yeah jeez Howard was great...

I mean there was only:

Children overboard

NT intervention (seizing Aboriginal land and sending in the army...great)

The almost sedition laws (any libertarian should hate him unconditionally for that)

Iraq

Undermining the entire republican referendum process (should have just done his job, and provided an unbiased vote)

Thanks to him university fees are higher than ever, unaffordable for many

Pretty much hated all Asians

Friend of Bush (should be enough to dislike him for anyone)

Inconsistency on GST

Reconciliation

When he was treasurer he absolutely screwed the economy. He left it in a state of low growth (<2%), low investment and low profit, huge unemployment (10.5%), interest rates (22%)and inflation (11%) and high tariffs. He killed small business as treasurer as well.

Yeah, he was a great guy...

I don't know how, looking at all that, you could possibly call him the "best ever".

YouTube - Chaser War on Everything - John W. Howard

Last edited:

Senator111

HSC
I am a conservative - but he didn;t set the world a light for mine!

I voted, loved him in the poll but it is more of a moderately liked him!

Reagan remains the best!

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
The further we get into Rudd's reign of apathy, the more you admire a real leader in Howard. He made the tough decisions, and he got the job done. Such a travesty that Rudd will likely get a second term. Until he gets shafted by the far more astute Gillard, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)