Joining COMSOC (1 Viewer)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
hi, quick question:

where/how can I join if I missed the COMSOC stall in the o week thing?

I went on wednesday.. it apparently opened at 3pm.. but I was on the tour which ended at 4 (starts at 2).. and by the time I got back, it was gonnne!! :eek:

thanks.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
i think i signed up for comsoc on tuesday...i put my details down ..and they gave me a bag...but no member card :s

were they wearing purple polo shirts ?? :s

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
aren't we automatically part of comsoc if we do commerce??? o yeah.. i want to become an active member and actually do stuff in the society. How do i do that?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I went today and I couldn't find them either. Someone said that they have an office somewhere on campus and you can go to that, or maybe they have a stall next week. I still want to join as well.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
what was in the bag grizzly? ;) I hear that there's all sorts of cool stuff they give you.

now.. where was I ... ah, yes.

yeah, theres a room.. two of the "yellow shirters" told me.. its near the top of the stair, turn left and into a dark spot. I'd prefer not to go there if I can avoid it lol..

now!
"aren't we automatically part of comsoc if we do commerce??? " thats what I heard from the aybc guys.
Except you get a bag!!! a bag!!! lol, there must be a reason if you need to sign up to grab the bag. otherwise, why would they encourage/ have a stall for people to sign up if they're automatically in it!!

Last edited:

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
On Tuesday they told me that even though we're already in it we have to put our details down on their list. That night I asked my sister (who also did Commerce) and she said there are two types of members, active and passive, so I guess the list was for those who want to become active members, like go to events and all that stuff.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Kazuya said:
On Tuesday they told me that even though we're already in it we have to put our details down on their list. That night I asked my sister (who also did Commerce) and she said there are two types of members, active and passive, so I guess the list was for those who want to become active members, like go to events and all that stuff.
awww...... does that mean i don't get to be an active member???? cuz i really want to be. do u think we can still sign up for it after o-week?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
mushroom_head said:
awww...... does that mean i don't get to be an active member???? cuz i really want to be. do u think we can still sign up for it after o-week?
lol, same... I think.. would like to know whats happening and stuff, but not obliged to participate ;p

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hey guys,

For anyone interested, a really good thing to do on campus for com/Eco students is in the Economics & Business Studies Competitions. They recruit in mid-March and its a really worthwhile project (esp. if you did the comps high school).

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Hey guys,

For anyone interested, a really good thing to do on campus for com/Eco students is in the Economics & Business Studies Competitions. They recruit in mid-March and its a really worthwhile project (esp. if you did the comps high school).
cool! where do we go to join in??

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
mushroom_head said:
cool! where do we go to join in??
There will be info comming out in Week 3 at Uni. Look out for it. We'll also post details on this forum next month.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes yes, join join

It's a very worthwhile experience, and you feel important, especially with setting questions for thousands of high school students nationwide.

Oh, and you make heaps of friends at ComSoc, and get to go on a few social events

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Eagles said:
what was in the bag grizzly? ;) I hear that there's all sorts of cool stuff they give you.
Not sure if it was COMSOC that i joined...or another eco fin society :s .. ididnt get a member card or anything...

in the bag woz hacky sack(wait, that could have been another society..)....macquarie bank lollypop lol, ...and some other flyers from CA , mac bank .... as well as this green flyer "the o.c" :s

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
Yes yes, join join

It's a very worthwhile experience, and you feel important, especially with setting questions for thousands of high school students nationwide.

Oh, and you make heaps of friends at ComSoc, and get to go on a few social events
and where's the BOS stall at o week huh ? :p

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
mr_shittles said:
Hey guys,

lol, let me play!!!

I was personally uh.. lets say amused at the one I did!

What was it again? The one about Barry Blotter's movie?

B

Bambul

I would actually put it as 3 types of people who are part of ComSoc:

1. Members of FCE (Faculty of Commerce and Economics) who are automatically members by virtue of being in the faculty but do not get involved in any of the activities that ComSoc hold.

2. People who get involved in ComSoc actvities. They generally don't have to be from FCE, as long as you pay the entry fee for taking part in the event ComSoc doesn't really care which faculty you're from, although the events are tailored and aimed at FCE people. This can include:
i. Going to the Commerce Cruise, Commerce Camp or Commerce Ball.
ii. Competing in one of the competitions it runs annually such as the portfolio competition or the sports day.
iii. Taking part in the peer mentoring program.

3. Active members of ComSoc. Again, they don't have to be FCE students. They help to organise the events that ComSoc holds annually. They are the camp leaders, the lecture bashers*, the coordinators, etc. These people are usually the ones who run for positions on the executive of ComSoc at the end of the year (the exec is the group that runs ComSoc and has positions ranging from Secretary to Social exec to President to Treasurer).

ComSoc generally runs a stall during O-Week to get people to come to activities (i.e. #2) and to get volunteers for the events (i.e. #3).

There are also some competitions that are run in association to ComSoc (they are not technically part of ComSoc but are run through it). They are the PWC Economics and Business Studies Competition and the BCG Business Strategy Competition. I don't know too much about the BCG Comp, but I have been on the organising committee of the Eco Comp for the past few years and I have found it really rewarding and a great way to meet new people. I've also volunteered for a lot of other activities within ComSoc over the years including being a Camp Leader, helping out at the Cruise, being on the Executive and helping out on the ComSoc stall. I've met some of the closest friends at uni that I have met by getting involved in ComSoc.

*Lecture bashing is jargon for making an announcement in front of a lecture theatre before the lecture starts.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
so if i missed the stall during o-week, does that mean i can't become an active member? i just want to participate in something worthwhile, rather than simply attend lectures and go home.

HSC
yehhh i wanna be an active member in the comsoc...i didnt bother signing up cause someone told me if u do commerce ur automatically a member, so would i still be able to sign up for it? and where?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If you guys want to participate in ComSoc, drop by the office in John Goodsell Building, Lower Ground floor (near the toilets). There'll be plenty of people there so don't be shy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)