Jonathan Miller and Lear (1 Viewer)

dramaqueenie

HSC
hey, just wondering if any one can help me out with any info at all on Jonathan Millers production of King Lear? anything at all would be appreciated

richz

go to the resources section and check, you might find something there. I think there is because thats where i got mine.

richz

here's one example i copied from the resources

KING LEAR –BBC PRODUCTION (1982)
Directed by Jonathan Miller

King Lear – Michael Hordern

OVERVIEW
Acting of all characters is less sincere and personalized then in other productions. All actors have less emotion, relationships between characters not strongly shown, audience is less involved with the play. Music and sound effects are minimal; sets are minimal and quite bland.

Traditional, follows the story closely, Elizabethan setting and clothing.

ACT 1
- Set is very bland, background is black and uneven, suggests a cold unwelcoming feel.
- Act one contains no music or sound effects, the entrance of Lear is not as grand as entrances seen in other productions
- Gonerill, Regan and Lear all wear black, G/R also wear black veils.
- The tone of voice and language suggests a bitter family, very formal like.
- Gonerill Looks away from Lear when saying ‘I love you more then word can wield the matter’ suggests she is being untruthful.
- Cordelia wears black clothing, with a white veil, possibly implying that she is innocent, pure and wiser.

ACT 3
- Sound effects: thunder, swirling wind, rain
- Extreme close-up of Lear screaming words into the sky, Camera remains stable the whole time – Shows the importance of Lear and his words, his plunge into madness ‘My wits begin to turn’.

ACT 5
- Sound effects: Minimal, uses trumpets noises at the start of the act
- Both Lear and Cordelia at this time are wearing white showing that they have remained innocent, and guilt free.
- They are surrounded by those wearing black, both Edgar at Kent try to comfort Lear. The camera focuses on these for characters (including Lear and Cordelia) in a middle shot.
- Lear and Cordelia die in the arms of Edgar and Kent, the scene then goes to black and ends.

Some quotes
-‘I love you more then word can wield the matter’ Gonerill
- ‘My loves more ponderous then my tongue’ Regan
-‘I can not heave my heart into my mouth’ Cordelia
-‘My wits begin to turn’ Lear
-‘The wheel had come full circle’ Edmond (the idea of justice)

just go to this site and u'll find a lot of information
http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)