Journalism (1 Viewer)

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
Hello...

i really want to do journalism at Syd Uni... is there anything anyone can tell me about the course etc.
anything would be appreciated :D

kimmy5

media at usyd is FANTASTIC.

i know there is a consensus that it is really theoretical in comparison to the journo course at uts.

it is theoretical but very flexible. check out the arts handbook to see the sorts of areas you could branch off into.

the lectures are fantastic, NEVER ever boring and we always have prominent journo's come in as guest lecturers. my tutor is an ex-rolling stones editor.

the ppl are generally really cool and because the course only has about 120 students, it's pretty tight knit.

oh first year subject are an absolute breeze. like how to write news, colours news, broadcast news.

hope that helps!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i heard it's only like 15 hours a week?? which is nothing compared to some science degrees like b pharm who have 30 + contact hours.

i don't do it, but i've been told it's an awesome course. high in demand though and very competitive!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i have heard that it is best to do a b arts or b international studies or b economic and social sciences degree first. And then do a journalism degree. Many people recommend doing the former at usyd and the latter at uts.
That way you have something to write about and you'll find it much easier to get a job.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
kimmy5 said:
media at usyd is FANTASTIC.

the lectures are fantastic, NEVER ever boring and we always have prominent journo's come in as guest lecturers. my tutor is an ex-rolling stones editor.
All I can say to that is F*CK!

Our tutor couldn't mark an essay if her life depended on it, and she got fired from several media jobs....basically my uni is a garbage drop-off for media rejects......

LOL! And yet I proudly display the Uni banner below...LOL

kimmy5

just to let you know,

the majors that you can do aren't strictly confined to media. i'm planning on majoring in government and international relations too.

just remember that the program itself is fairly broad and you don't necessarily have to go into media. most graduates (according to my lecturer) go into PR instead.

each of our tutorials in first year require us to do practical work. so we basically spend an hr, one day a week learning how to 'write.'

i find the course really enjoyable. i was doing comm/arts last year and HATED IT. I just found it so bland and regimented. each to their own i guess.

just pm me for any info!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
To me, this is the ONLY university course that seems interesteing. I wanna be a pilot, but I'd like a uni bachelors before that, and like I said, this is the only course that gets my attention. In the Sydney Uni guide it says a UAI of 98 [which I should be able to acheive] is required, and that for the course you do this, plus one major from B Arts or B Eco/SS. I dont understand the second part...please explain.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bookie said:
To me, this is the ONLY university course that seems interesteing. I wanna be a pilot, but I'd like a uni bachelors before that, and like I said, this is the only course that gets my attention. In the Sydney Uni guide it says a UAI of 98 [which I should be able to acheive] is required, and that for the course you do this, plus one major from B Arts or B Eco/SS. I dont understand the second part...please explain.
It's not a major from B Arts of B Eco and Soc Sci. It's a major from those areas.
So what you do is
Major 1: Media and communications
Major 2: From any Arts subjects or Govt, IR & HRM, Poltical Economy, Economics

heidi_kak

HSC
i don't think it is artificially increased, i think you really would need to get 98 to get into HECS

having said that, they do have a 'flexible entry scheme' for this course, where they let you in if your UAI is a bit lower but you've done some work experience.

but i don't know why on earth you'd want to do this course if you wanted to become a pilot- you're better off just getting straigt into it and getting experience etc rather than wasting flying money on uni degrees that have nothing to do with your desired career. just my thoughts.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
heidi kak said:
but i don't know why on earth you'd want to do this course if you wanted to become a pilot- you're better off just getting straigt into it and getting experience etc rather than wasting flying money on uni degrees that have nothing to do with your desired career. just my thoughts.
Yeah I think that myself Heidi. I could do both at the same time, but that would take up all my time, and money. Its basically cause my parents want me to do a uni course. But I know to be a pilot you better get the qualificatins by age 22/23. So I'm still considering...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bookie said:
Yeah I think that myself Heidi. I could do both at the same time, but that would take up all my time, and money. Its basically cause my parents want me to do a uni course. But I know to be a pilot you better get the qualificatins by age 22/23. So I'm still considering...
you've still got a year left to decide. hopefully in that year you'll toughen up and learn to talk with your parents

bustinjustin

HSC
I-Jester argues otherwise about USyd Media and Comm...
Don't know exactly why, but I'll take I-Jester's word for it.

pablito

HSC
hey.

how would i go about doing a Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences, and then transfering to a journalism degree at sydney uni, or uts, or even int studies at syd uni ...is it even possible?

cheers,

Last edited:

joey...

HSC
ive enrolled in this course for 2008 and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what internships are available... for instance, is it possible to get a placement overseas...?
thanks.

Prosper

HSC
i know that it can be hard getting a job as a journalist in australia with no experience and people i know have gone overseas and gotten a job or two whilst over there and then come back and gotten a job in australia (they went to england)

bustinjustin

HSC
pablito said:
hey.

how would i go about doing a Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences, and then transfering to a journalism degree at sydney uni, or uts, or even int studies at syd uni ...is it even possible?

cheers,
After you graduate from a B.A or B. Econ Soc Sci or whatever, you can do a Grad. Certificate (6 months) or Diploma (1 year) or Masters (1.5 years) in Journalism at UTS, which seems to include the same "professional" units studied in the 3 yr Undergrad Journalism course. Alternatively, you could do a a 3 year BA Communications (Journalism) at UTS, then postgrad Int. Studies, Arts, Econ. at Sydney. I considered, this, and my personal preference is the former (the generalist degree, followed by the vocational qualification).

maz5

HSC
I'm planning on going to London and working after I get my degree, Even an exchange to London would be nice, although expensive!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)