Juat a little question (1 Viewer)

Budz

HSC
Help please prepared question for exam, In two weeks

Question : Asses the effect of the develpment of AC generators on society and the environment

In your answer
-explain AC generators in terms of physics involved
"im guessing write about how it works... slip ring commutators and change in magnetic field + coil of wire"
-Discuss the use of AC generators
"um i think to produce electricity"
-Comparison of domestic and industrial energy before and after the AC generator
"??"
-Asses how society has changed with the availability of AC electricity
"??"
-Asses effects on the environment
"??"
-Overall evaluation
include info about transformers

HSC
Hey, I don't know how to answer all your questions, and im a bit pushed for time so i cant really get out all my textbooks. ill do my best though.

-explain AC generators in terms of physics involved
yeah your answer to this is pretty much correct, just be specific
Basically:
the magnetic field coils (rotor) rotate within the fixed armature coils (stator), in which the coltage and current are generated. The field coils carry a low current so sparking at the commutator is reduced.The current to the rotor is provided through the slip rings. EXPLAIN THIS MORE- esp regarding the physics that allows this all to work.

-Discuss the use of AC generators
Examine what in particular they are used for, and why they are used in that application. Look at their advantages over DC and thus why they are preferred. (easier to alter the voltages,less losses by way of heat, advantages of altering voltages to lower for domestic use and higher for industrial use [generally speaking]...)

-Comparison of domestic and industrial energy before and after the AC generator
ok i dont have my textbooks with me atm, but i would recommend you look up the energy sources that were used before we had AC generators. Discuss the disadvantages of these and compare them to the advantages we have through the use of AC generators. Try to find energy sources used specifically in domestic and industrial applications. It may be difficult to do this, they may be very similar i'm not sure, but make sure you don't jsut address domestic energy and not mention industrial, for example. Even if they are similar make sure you mention both as its in the question!

-Assess how society has changed with the availability of AC electricity
Everyday tasks can be performed with much more efficiency (household chores, cooking). We can store food in our fridges for weeks and months, meaning that we dont have to go to the shops every few days. Also, social habits have changed as a result of electricity and its availability. We can stay up and out later (work longer hours) because we don't have to rely on natural or candle light. Back before electrical energy was commonly used, people used and appreciated the outdoors more than we probably do now. They would have picnics and other outdoor occasions during the day to take advantage of the light. Nowadays most social event occur at night, we are not restricted as to when we can be out. Also, while they would take advantage of being able to be outside we now tend to stay indoors more, we can put on a dvd and throw a bag of popcorn in the microwave. We are more than happy to spend the day sitting at the computer, talking over the internet rather than over a cup of tea. It has been said that society is now lazier as a result of electricity and its availabilty, this may or may not be true, but electricity has definitely had a substantial impact on society and the ways in which we do things.

-Assess effects on the environment
Consider the effects of the use of electrical energy by way of the burning of fossil fuels: global warming, acid rain, radioisotopes. Hydroelectric plants rely on the damning of rivers, causing the water to have more contact with the soil and underground salt deposits.. changing the natural environment often causes the death of nearby plant and animal life, The river downstream is deprived of water, causing blue green algal growth.

Hope the above is helpful and understandable.. i hope your exams go well and you dont stress to much. Mine are the last week of term (april 4-8) and im already feeling stressed.. ahhh!

Last edited:

Budz

HSC
Thanx heaps, if you do add to this, could it be within the next week, if not dont worry. Exam is next week. lol. But thanx again

HSC
okay, have updated it. hope it's helpful. Let me know if i've said something wrong or you have any more questions, ill try my best to help
Good luck.

Budz

HSC
Your exams april 4th to 8th thats the same as me well from the 29th march to the 8th, lol i always stress...
gotta memorise 8 pages for english

HSC
I wish ours were over 2 weeks, that'd take some stress off i reckon. Ah well i only have 4 exams anyway, and only 2 of those are assessments, I shouldnt complain. 8 pages for english? why?

SoVeReIgN

HSC
N/A
Hey william, didnt know you were on here.

Anyway, with the Overall evaluation, is that suggesting to just give an opinion rather than rewrite points that have already been mentioned earlier

(doing same assessment, tomorrow afternoon)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)