• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Judaism (1 Viewer)

kalinda

HSC
can people convert into Conservative or Orthodox Judaism or only reform

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
yes, you can. it takes a few years of study, but you can definately convert to orthodox if youre that committed.

kalinda

HSC
ok cuz it was my before understanding that only reform judaism would take converts however conservative would not as you had to be born jewish on ur mums side

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
things are changing these days

this would be a very controversial topic for the jews
i can imagine a bunch of rabbis standing around arguing for days and days over this

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i was taught that the orthodox community tends to have more respect towards those who convert because they must have such a passion and commitment towards judaism. usually, those who convert know alot more about judaism then the regular jews because of the strict "conversion process"

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
probably varies from country to country, synagogue to synagogue, variant to variant....
I thought the same about orthodox as well but ppl are converting eg the "kaballah" (sp) is a pretty esoteric barnach of Judaism but is getting a lot of converts (eg Madonna!!)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
that thing that madonna made fashionable in hollywood wouldnt really be considered as judaism by most rabbis.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
kaballah (I must check if this is the correct spelling....) has been around for a very, very long long time (given the recentness of conservative and liberal Judaism..both 18th C???) and from my readings was/is considered a very 'orthodox' version of judaism (note the ""). She has fortunately (or unfortunately) bought publicity to it but has also received other publicity as well eg the bombings in spain occured at a kaballah temple...
probably shouldnt make sweeping statements... unles you are 'most rabbis'!!
LOL

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i meant how people have started copying her and not really practicing or learning about the real kaballah. it seems to be a fashion in hollywood rather than something serious.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snapperhead

and yes, I just realised I was spelling it wrong....*sigh*
there there..youll be ok...i promise

Igor

HSC
N/A
ok, converting is a difficult thing to do if your over the age people generally haev their barmitzvah, simply because years of study has been lost.

I'm a very *very* secular Jew, (no speaky hebrew) but my grandparents felt it was their duty to give me a good long lecture about Judaism and ethics every time i visited them. my grandpa more than my nan, but the worst one was my uncle..... he went fully orthadox, and it was a long hard raod for him.

my dad's family is Jewish on his mum's side, and my grandpa's dad was Jewish, but he only 'came back' to the tradition when he married. so for my uncle, he grew up pretty secular but with a lot of the ethics and teachings of the religion being spoken about, but not necessarily followed. he decided he wanted to become a "proper Jew" (his words) and went abd found the straightest most orthodox synangogue in the country and spent about four years speaking to, learning from and proving himself a good Jew to the rabbi and all the other important men there before he was fully accepted into the synagogue.

it's my understanding that you don't really move from being a reformist Jew to an orthodox Jew by 'official' means, you must be accepted by the synagogue before you an be a part of it though, so if you want to join an orthodox synagogue you must be accpeted by it.

as for converting into orthado Judaism, it takes a lot of study, an a long time proving that you can be 'good Jew'. in the end the idea is that G-d will not exclude anyone from his community.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
so that explains why it takes so long to convert....anything from one year to ten..... acceptance and proving understanding. Wonder why it is that you only hear of 'female' conversions? (eg Sophie Lee has been studying for about 3 years now and is no where near ready). Maybe good jewish girls dont mix with goyim!!! LOL

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
a firend of mine converted. it took him around a year and he even had to have a bar mitzvah.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
how did he manage the blood covenant aspect ie the bris??
just curious as Ive heard of a couple of ways that dont involve circumcision but they were in liberal/reformed synagogues

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i was also curious about that, but he never spoke about it. but this was a fairly strict synagogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)