• Best of luck to the class of 2019 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Like us on facebook here

JulioClaudians (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Messages
15,908
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Because it might still be helpful for others
 

Magister

Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
98
Location
Riverina
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Re JCs

YES!!

Keep this thread open! All previous info will be helpful as well as any new constructive additions. Keep those posts coming in!!

Magister.
 

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
154
Location
Kenthurst (Still in Sydney!) Just
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
well who here is actually doing augustus and the julio-claudians as a subject?

it may seem to be bad when compared to the fall of the republic, it is still a really interesting time period studing...(this coming from past experiance :p)
 

natilee

New Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
4
I'm doing augustus and the julio-claudians! We just finished the intro bit to Augustus and now we're starting on Tiberius. I think it's really interesting, especially the social legislation that Augustus introduced.
 

Master Gopher

Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2005
Messages
87
Location
Lost
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
It's like that with Fall of the Republic - there's been a 'role of senate' every single year so far. My teacher kindly put one in the half-yearly as well, which was good, considering I was expecting the trend to continue. I'll be quite surprised if there's nothing along those lines in HSC this year. Likewise with Aug, I kinda expect there to be a question on him

It is "Augustus and the Julio-Claudians" after all - not "Tiberius and the Julio-Claudians" or "Claudius and the other Julio-Claudians". And the old HSC had him separate... More of the syllabus dot-points relate to him than to anything else. It would be really odd if there *wasnt* an Augustus/principate question, though still possible.
 

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
154
Location
Kenthurst (Still in Sydney!) Just
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
yeah but like i asked my teacher last year about this...and he said while im generally right about it....the area of augustus and the julio-claudians is just covering that time period....cause you cant call augustus a julio claudian, cause he was of julian heritage, while the rest of the julio-claudians were a result of the combination of the julii and the claudii due to augustus's marriage to livia
 

Don Mackey

New Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
15
Essentially there will always be a Augustus question. It is unlikely that there will be another one on the constitutional development of his powers. When creating notes for this topic ignore Gaius there is not enough to ask about him and there has not yet been a single question on him since the 3 unit old HSC. preparing for Tiberius and Augustus is probably pretty safe and then the other 2 emperors if you wish but go through previous papers they will all essentially ask you especially on Augustus to talk about reforms maintenance of power etc. Thus you can create a maliable response to answer a question on him. Remember that you are only allowed to answer certain questions in combination with your second historical period. Thus be careful what you choose to use.
Good Luck
 

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
154
Location
Kenthurst (Still in Sydney!) Just
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
actually i would disagree....yes while focusing on augustus is a must for anyone studying this period....having a look at claudius and perhaps nero is also a good thing to do....

my advice would be to go over the key relationships in each emperor's reign....e.g. senatorial reforms, foreign policy etc => focus on the important areas and skim over the rest
 
X

xeuyrawp

Guest
Don Mackey said:
Essentially there will always be a Augustus question. It is unlikely that there will be another one on the constitutional development of his powers. When creating notes for this topic ignore Gaius there is not enough to ask about him and there has not yet been a single question on him since the 3 unit old HSC. preparing for Tiberius and Augustus is probably pretty safe and then the other 2 emperors if you wish but go through previous papers they will all essentially ask you especially on Augustus to talk about reforms maintenance of power etc. Thus you can create a maliable response to answer a question on him. Remember that you are only allowed to answer certain questions in combination with your second historical period. Thus be careful what you choose to use.
Good Luck
True about there always being an Augustus question. The way they worded the question creation criteria means there will be. That's why they're splitting him up in later years (but not making him a personality, rather a period).

False about not doing Gaius; they could ask about him in a combination with another princeps, or just ask about him alone. The year before me had one HSC question on Horemheb's military. This is a tiny Pharaoh with a tiny concept (military), but people who bothered to study him nailed the question.
 

Don Mackey

New Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
15
I will have to stick to my guns on Gaius, his principate is simply irrelavent. His administration is not sound and his impact is almost nothing. We miss out on Tacitus' evaluation of his principate as his books are missing on him. The syllabus also says significant individuals in the period, arguably he was a princeps but his significance in the period only comes about in a thematic response where you look at the change from principatus to dominatus and again arguably the change in principate comes under Tiberius.
The historical tradition of Caligula is also very coloured and thus it is difficult to ask a HSC student to write a convincing essay that is not dependant upon the gossip of Suetonius (Brain Fever, Picking up Sea Shells -actually tents etc.)

For further study in this fabulous next 3 weeks concentrate on Augustus especially looking at him in the big picture thematic understanding of his achievements rather chronological essays is recommended.
If you are covering all bases probably safe to study for a question on Claudius as well something along the lines of impact of his principate in which you must consider his wives and freedmen and his imperial centralisation of the bureacracy and possibly his imperial building program.
Good Luck
 

Keys

New Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
23
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
Is Augustus really such an important part of this study, because we hardly did anything on him...which means i hardly know anything on him,let alone able to write anything on him!!
Do i really need to know Augustus well??
 

Skryp

.The Master.
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Messages
29
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
^ Haha dude. Augustus is like the central figure of this study, I believe the topic is, "Augustus & The Julio-Claudians"...In just about any exam you will do for Ancient in Year 12...there will be one if not multiple questions relating directly to Augustus. I've only really seen one exam where he hasn't featured. I strongly suggest that you look at past papers and see how much Augustus is really a part of it and what areas you should know. Check the Syllabus, its all there and check the notes section on this site for some basic notes.

Best of Luck, Peace.
 
X

xeuyrawp

Guest
Skryp said:
^ Haha dude. Augustus is like the central figure of this study, I believe the topic is, "Augustus & The Julio-Claudians"...In just about any exam you will do for Ancient in Year 12...there will be one if not multiple questions relating directly to Augustus. I've only really seen one exam where he hasn't featured. I strongly suggest that you look at past papers and see how much Augustus is really a part of it and what areas you should know. Check the Syllabus, its all there and check the notes section on this site for some basic notes.

Best of Luck, Peace.
You do realise that 2006 HSCers chose either Augustus or the Julio Claudians? I mean, for 2006, they're different Period options:

Section IV — Historical Periods

...
Question 35 — Option J – Greece: Fourth-century Greece to the death of Philip of Macedon
Question 36 — Option K – Rome: 264–133 BC
Question 37 — Option L – Rome: Political revolution in Rome 133–78 BC
Question 38 — Option M – Rome: The fall of the Roman Republic 78–31 BC
Question 39 — Option N – Rome: The Augustan Age 44 BC – AD 14
Question 40 — Option O – Rome: Rome in the time of the Julio-Claudians AD 14–69

Question 41 — Option P – Rome: The Roman Empire AD 69–235

...
 

gorgeousjai

New Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
19
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
hey im having some issues with this whole topic 2... i missed the entire work on claudius and i just dont get any of it... i have an exam 2mz so if u guys could send me some stuff it would be sooo appreciated
 

els29

New Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
4
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
I missed the whole week on claudius too. stuff this. jay its all in our ancient rome textbook...its just...not exactly summarised...
 

Joe Geranio

New Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
9
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
Oh how much you miss if you only focus on the pricipate of Augustus!!

Look at propaganda that changed just on the coinage after Augustus!! for Tiberius, and especially Caligula, then you have the intrigue of Claudius and his wives, along with all the great or awful thing Princeps Nero did? Read The Annals of Imperial Rome by Tacitus for Nero, most of Caligulan history was lost in ANNALS, and beware of Suetonius who had an axe to grind?

Joe Geranio
The Portraiture of Caligula
portraitsofcaligula.com
 
X

xeuyrawp

Guest
Joe Geranio said:
Oh how much you miss if you only focus on the pricipate of Augustus!!

Look at propaganda that changed just on the coinage after Augustus!! for Tiberius, and especially Caligula, then you have the intrigue of Claudius and his wives, along with all the great or awful thing Princeps Nero did? Read The Annals of Imperial Rome by Tacitus for Nero, most of Caligulan history was lost in ANNALS, and beware of Suetonius who had an axe to grind?

Joe Geranio
The Portraiture of Caligula
portraitsofcaligula.com
The Board looked at it from a practicality point - Augustus is too much to be encorporated within a period. It came to the point where you could guarantee an sole question on Augustus, and a lot of students did feel they were studying 'Augustus and the rest'.
 

Shazzeh

New Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
16
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
what i'm getting confused with is that people are talking about Augustus in the Julio-Claudian section. he wasn't one. it was only Tiberius, Gaius, Claudius and Nero. wasn't Augustus a choice in the personality unit? i'm just going on what i've been told.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top