Julius Caesar - Conflicting Perspectives (1 Viewer)

Manwithaplan

HSC
hey i was wondering if anyone had any info on julius caesar in regards to conflicting perspectives. my friend has a visual representation to do on this topicand asked me for help. anything would be appreciated. tia

gmez

HSC
N/A
Not sure whether this helps but reading from a crit summary- The play Julius Caesar has different characters presenting the action. In Act I Cassius dominates, in Act II it is Brutus. Antony dominates Act III while in Acts IV (4) and V(5) both Cassius and Brutus have the focus.

The play has a balanced strucutre, Act 1 intorduces the conspirators and focuses on the plan to kill Caesar, Act 2 is the preparation for the assasination, and the action builds until in Act 3 we have the climax and with the assasination of Ceasar. Act 4 protrays the reaction to the killing of Caesar, and Act 5 shows the retribution that is the fate of the conspirators.

So there is a lot to play with visually with these different viewpoints in the play. good luck

Jenna Lee

HSC
Hey,
I can't remember the conflicting persepctives off the top of my head but i do remember one of them. There is conflicting persepctives regarding the death of Julius Caesar in the fact that Brutus does not see the purpose in killing him where as Cassius then persuades him to believe that with Caesar's death it will bring good for all of Rome.
There is also conflicting persepctives in the character of Julius Caesar as Brutus proclaims he is an 'ambitious' man whilst Marc Antony says that he is of noble stature.

These are only a couple of what i canr emember. I will have more ocne i start to put together my english study notes!
Hope these are of some value.

arrisonhay

HSC
On a cursory consideration, it may well appear that the inclusion of conflicting perspectives would ensure an even-handed representation of people, events r situations. The existence of conflicting perspectives suggest that different, even opposing viewpoints are allowed to be put forward. However, a more careful exploration would yield the conclusion that composers are able to manipulate the way they present these points of view, and are thus able to position responders to sympathise with or accept the often biased perspective of the author. Shakespeare, in “Julius Caesar”, presents multiple points of view of the eponymous character and overlays this with his own representation of Caesar. Yet we are left with the distinct impression that Shakespeare deliberately creates – that brutus may be naïve and misguided, but that he is heroic and pays the price for his altruism. Thus, Shakespeare is able to comment on the nature of politics in his own, or indeed any other time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)