juris doctor (1 Viewer)

ashleigh_dupre

HSC
hi there

i finished my BSc in 2008 with good, but not stellar, marks. i'm enrolled to take the LSAT on 27th June and am feeling very good about it.
the way i understand it, melbourne uni makes admissions to its JD prgram based on LSAT scores, undergradute grades and a personal statement; UNSW, UTS and ANU simply look at the undergrad grades. can anyone clear this up? do any other australian unis offer the JD?
has anyone entered the JD course at any of these unis? what was your undergrad WAM like? do you know what a vague cut off mark might look like?

just wondering if i should bother getting my hopes up. i imagine it's pretty competitive.

cheers guys

ash

izzy88

HSC
I can't really answer all your questions but on which uni's are doing the JD:

USYD is introducing the JD for 2011. UNSW, ANU, UTS and UNE all have the JD.

I would think you would have to look up the requirements on each university site as to what they take into account. For USYD, i believe it is just based on your undergrad WAM.

On another note, whilst other universities may not offer the JD, many offer some form of graduate bachelor of laws degree and realistically there isn't much difference at all between the JD and LLB. eg. Macquarie and UWS have a graduate entry Bachelor of Laws.

dste6

HSC
Monash also offers a JD that is quite unique:

-Small class sizes (25~ people)

-Full-time load is 3 subjects at a time, with 3 semesters a year, so you do 9 units a year. Doing 3 subjects at a time means that your workload is manageable (relatively, ha!) at any given time and you still finish in 3 years.

-Allows your electives to be taken from the LLM program (massive list, with alot of interesting subjects)

- Runs out of the Monash Law Chambers in the CBD

Excuse the shameless plug :pirate: . Their admissions criteria are WAM, CV, and Personal statement.

ashleigh_dupre

HSC
thanks for the replies

izzy, the only reason i was looking at the JD over the LLB is that i assumed i would have to start from scratch, as my undergrad studies were in science, not law. is this the case? if i took the LLB road, how long would it take to get to graduation?

cheers

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
thanks for the replies

izzy, the only reason i was looking at the JD over the LLB is that i assumed i would have to start from scratch, as my undergrad studies were in science, not law. is this the case? if i took the LLB road, how long would it take to get to graduation?

cheers
JD is just the re-branded version of the graduate LLB. There's no substantive differences between the courses - they both take three years and, as far as I am aware, are viewed about the same by employers.

Existential

HSC
N/A
JD is just the re-branded version of the graduate LLB. There's no substantive differences between the courses - they both take three years and, as far as I am aware, are viewed about the same by employers.
so after 2011 the bachelor of law (at USYD ect.) will be called the JD?

dste6

HSC
- they are the two best law schools in NSW and the second best in VIC
Thats funny I thought UNSW was the second best school law school in NSW :D

lol now I'm just stirring trouble

izzy88

HSC
so, i can take graduate LLB now even though my undergrad was in science?
Yes. that's the idea. Graduate LLB or the JD is for those that already have an undergraduate degree- in your case science (it doesn't actually matter what that degree is).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)