Jusst wondering about a degree at the Universityof Newcastle..and wanted suggestions (1 Viewer)

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Soo there is this degree at newcastle that I was considering in doing this year where I can major in: Biology, Environmental, Maths, Physics disciplines.. and you know now what the degree is.

Anyways, the cut-off for this course is LOWERING NOW. The ATAR used to be about in the 70's, but NOW the ATAR for 2012 is exactly 66.15

wait...brb

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Re: Jusst wondering about a degree at the Universityof Newcastle..and wanted suggesti

Back...

Now... This institution has a ranking that is close to UTS's Ranking in previous and recent years. [They both rank in somewhere at the top 400'ish I think on the QS ranking system]. So the uni of newcastle is a well REPUTABLE institution now....right?...right....however, it has a degree now that has a CUT-OFF OF 66.15 at THIS POINT in time and this is the degree that I am considering in doing..

My point is... do you think I should apply for this degree? Because I really would like to do it.. well honestly do.. Its something that has been on my mind for a while.. lets just say that. I am now being reluctant and hesitant in placing it in my UAC PREFERENCES even..I dont know why...I just dont want to register it in for some reason and I dont know why. Should I put it in for my preference now? lol..

And I have an ATAR/UAI that is VERY VERY CLOSE to 66.15...so what would be the chance of me receiving an offer for THIS degree? I mean in ALL offer rounds through UAC..including the main round.. my ATAR is lower than 67 [Is that a better hint? lol]

Hmmmm....Im being miserable in 2012....I dont know why..its why I need some online help (lol)

University of Newcastle is seriously becoming an; elite university, reputable, respectable, genuinely advanced and purely a great/ GOOD university to have a high qualification from..close to UTS even...and it has a course that is a cut off of 66.15!! I find that generous to be able to get an offer from...and do you see where I am coming from? It just doesn't make sense...because all these Uni's that are "HIGHLY ranked" have all HIGH cut-offs...all EXCEPT for THIS course..well, along with commerce and business as well...but for the above mentioned course...is just generous.

Sooo...yeahh..dont know if you would care...but thought this might help me a little if I vented my stresses out a little in the open. Makes me feel a little better sharing my knowledge about this..heh XP.

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Re: Jusst wondering about a degree at the Universityof Newcastle..and wanted suggesti

oh forgot to say also...the cut offs so far above mentioned is the c-off for the main round offer rounds only (yr 2012)....so its up to date

lol *getting tired now*... bye

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC

*spams thread* lol

uac.aplcnt

HSC

I guess i think this sounds a bit long for people to read

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

Whatever the degree is, it's cut off is lower compared to UTS because of the distance(as UTS is in the city). And usually with such a low ATAR it probably means Newcastle isn't highly reputable in that course. Overall it's a good university. But each university has some degrees which they own in or they just don't compared to other universties.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

LOL It looks like you are talking to yourself XD
Um... as far as the course is concerned, do what ever you like or are passionate about!
Dnt worry abt the reputation of the uni and the salary and stuff, the most important thing is that you are 100% satisfied by the course and are keen on studying and finding a job in that field.
Remember that the course you choose to study at uni would impact your life greatly as you would end up working for abt 40-50 years of your life in that field. If you are really passionate about the course, then you would most lilkely look forward to work everyday for those odd 40-50 years of your life!
Dnt compare Unis, a degree is a degree and the only thing that matters is the grades you get in em.
e.g someone who did B.Science at UWS with a GPA of 6.8 would be considered for a job position than one who went to USYD and did the same course, but got a GPA of 4.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

Um... as far as the course is concerned, do what ever you like or are passionate about!
Dnt worry abt the reputation of the uni and the salary and stuff, the most important thing is that you are 100% satisfied by the course and are keen on studying and finding a job in that field.
Remember that the course you choose to study at uni would impact your life greatly as you would end up working for abt 40-50 years of your life in that field. If you are really passionate about the course, then you would most lilkely look forward to work everyday for those odd 40-50 years of your life!
Dnt compare Unis, a degree is a degree and the only thing that matters is the grades you get in em.
e.g someone who did B.Science at UWS and getting a GPA of 6.8 would be considered for a job position than one who went to USYD and did the same course, but got a GPA of 4.
Don't put too much money on those words. University does matter in some courses. I wouldn't do law at UWS compared to USYD.(as an example). If i had a lower(but not too signifcantly) gpa at USYD(and usually better extra-circulars because USYD is much more active in law),I still would bet a law firm would pick me,a USYDer over someone from UWS.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

Don't put too much money on those words. University does matter in some courses. I wouldn't do law at UWS compared to USYD.(as an example). If i had a lower(but not too signifcantly) gpa at USYD(and usually better extra-circulars because USYD is much more active in law),I still would bet a law firm would pick me,a USYDer over someone from UWS.
Yes true in some way, I'll go for law and med at USYD anyday!
Other degrees dnt matter as much in terms of uni.

uac.aplcnt

HSC

e.g someone who did B.Science at UWS with a GPA of 6.8 would be considered for a job position than one who went to USYD and did the same course, but got a GPA of 4.
1. I know that each higher institution has its own strength/weaknesses in each course.

2. I think that a highly ranked university DOES matter/reputation/prestige. Why? Because I think there is a good reason why a institution has been CONSISTENTLY ranked for its prestige highly in the QS Leagues ranking repeatedly in the course of mankinds history. Take Cambridge/Harvard University as an e.g...and then compare that to say UNSW...its not much different is it.

A consistently and highly ranked university means there MUST be an upper advantage somewhere in that uni compared to other uni's. Therefore will more likely produce the BEST and most elitist graduates in australia etc at graduation...Yes yes... definitely. They are the ones that contribute more in their career and society as a whole than any other graduates at other uni's....

lol enough said

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)