• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Just starting the PIP .... help needed (1 Viewer)

mariel89

HSC
Hey everyone...

Ive just started my HSC course for Society and Culture and Im currently in the process of starting my P.I.P...

I havnt decided on a specific focus question but Im interested in the "abuse of trust from people in authority". Im not sure exactly how to go about researching this topic and Im in need of some advice.

If anyone has any information regarding this topic which may be of some use to me I would gladly appreciate the help.

Thanks..

mishka

HSC
N/A
First question is: people in which authority? Are you going to focus on a particular part of society (for example, looking at police's treatment of criminals) or do you want to focus on a few? Because there IS so much authority in society, you might have to narrow it down by deciding exactly what you want to find out.

It is so good to see that you have already thought about what you'll be doing for the next 8-9 months. :) It is also good to see that you haven't just leapt into the deep end and know that you have to research first.

I would start looking around at resources out there - what information can you find? Will there be enough for you to base your conclusions from? How can you use the information to formulate a really good PIP question?

A good place to start is with statistics... any articles that might crop up, and looking for agencies that might deal with these sorts of issues.

spanish_rose

HSC
The first thing you really need to do is narrow down your topic - make it more specific, and also don't forget that everything you do in the PIP has to be related to the society and culture concepts.

Once you have done this, deciding how to research will be much easier. There are different research methods which need to be used, depending on your PIP topic.

You need to use both primary and secondary research methodologies, which means that you can't get all your information from a book, or the internet (that's secondary).

You should ask your teacher for info. on the research methodologies if you haven't already got it. You can read about the pros. and cons of each and find the ones which would be easiest for you to do, and which work well with your pip topic.

PS. If you decide to do an interview, make sure you find someone reliable who will actually SHOW UP for the interview, also someone who can give you the detailed, precise answers that you need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)