K-Mart (1 Viewer)

nathdapunk

HSC
I've applied for a position at K-Mart via their website on 18/1/10. I have the following questions (all the info I can find is pre-2009 or is US-revelant). I am 15 years old.

* How long is turnaround for a response to your application (I've recieved a email on 18/1 about submitting my application, nothing since)?

* What is the procedure for hiring? Is there another phrase I need to go through before I recieve a call for a interview?

* Are Group Interviews conducted or are just 1-on-1 interviews conducted?

* What questions are asked at the interview(s)?

* Am I required to join a Union, or is this optional? If optional, what are the benifits of doing so?
** What union do retail employess belong to?
** Am I penalised for not being part of a union?

* What does training usually involve?

Thanks, I've only applied to earn some cash, however there are some points I'm not sure on and would like to find out before I get "the call".

Last edited:

justinw

HSC
Did you apply for a vacant job, or for expressions of interest?
Me, i applied for the second, and in two months no reply.
I think there's soo many people applying, particularly older ones, its hard to get anything decent at 15. Like when you walk in kmart you see 40 year olds working, thats who your up against.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Some employers prefer 15 year olds to older people, as you get paid less :p.

Be prepared for a long wait. I've registered with major companies wesbites before and never had one interview offer, and I had over 5 years retail experience at the time.

It's best to be proactive and update your employee profile a lot and apply for positions on the website as they appear. Don't wait for them to chase you, because in most cases they won't.

Jepotle_

HSC
Woolies replied to mine in like 1 1/2 hrs...

usually 7 days after the close u will know either way.. if they want you for an interview or dont want you

nathdapunk

HSC
Woolies replied to mine in like 1 1/2 hrs...

usually 7 days after the close u will know either way.. if they want you for an interview or dont want you
More a Woolies question than a K-Mart one, was that after creating a profile or actually applying for a job?

desktopwhat

HSC
N/A
I got lucky for when i got my job at Kmart. I completed the online induction and went to the store and asked a manager if Kmart was hiring. They said have you done the online induction, i replied yes and they hired me...basically i skipped the interview process. I work in stock replenishment so i'll tell you a little bit about my typical shift.

Night stock replenishment starts at 8pm and finishes at 12am. The first thing you do is sign in by entering your pin. We then walk into the back area with and have a little chat. Team leader tells us what section we are in and we take out the cages and head to our section (kitchen,pets,toys....you get the idea). We start putting the new stock on the shelves. Some people take the rubbish back in to the 'compactor'. 2 hours later (We get 4 hour shifts) we go on a 15min break (suppose to be 10) and continue on where we left off. 10mins before end of shift we start packing up our cages and head out back. Last couple mins we are sweeping the floor then we sign off.

You can other have 2 types of people who tell you what to do. The first is the team leader who just doesn't give a shit about Kmart but still do what they do..lots of swearing goes on out back and talking about how retarded managers are.

The second type of people who tell you what to do are the strict assholes who couldn't care less about you and give you multiple tasks and to be expected to do them perfectly. You will often be repeating the work you just did as 1 manager will tell you what to do and another will tell you it isn't how they want it done and you end up being the person to be blamed. You really have to stick up for yourself and tell them that is what the other manager wanted so you talk to them, otherwise you'll be seen as a weakling and they will continue to treat you like this.

A few tips which i have learnt:

1) Don't be in the building any more than 4 hours. You will be desperate to get out. Sign in right before you begin, do your shift, sign out right when your shift ends. Don't say i'll start packing up when i have 5 mins left as you will be taking longer to pack up and you will be signing off late. This is a no no!.

2) If you need to go to the toilet, you don't have to ask, just go. Make your way to the toilet by walking to the back of the store and walking in there to avoid customers.

3) Customers can be unbelievably stupid. Be prepared to be asked "What is the difference between product x and product y" It isn't your job to be answering that question so tell them to ask the 'Fitting rooms'. If you don't know where a product is, don't walk around aimlessly, just ask a more experienced person to help the customer out. Also if a customer can't find an item and neither can you, tell them to head to the fitting rooms and they should be able to help you out there.

4) 2 good times to be working are other a) morning (8am-12pm) - time will go alot faster but the downside is there are more potential idiot customers, and you get the rest of the day to do whatever. b) night shift (8pm-12am) - Less customers unless you are working on late night shopping and the negative is you will most likely be tired quickly as you may have been doing something during the day.

5) Be prepared to be called in a night when you are not shifted, an hour or so before they want you to work. If you want shifts, this will not be a problem but generally, it'll piss you off.

6) Bring some food with you as you will be getting hungry. Banana and a drink is fine.

7) Walk fast and make it look like you are doing the work fast, even if you can't do a particular thing. If managers see you working slowly they'll shift you less and be generally pissed at you.

8) Some customers will bitch about the store and how something is wrong. Just smile and tell them to either go to the customer service desk or the fitting rooms - depending on their needs.

Hope this helps!

nathdapunk

HSC
I got lucky for when i got my job at Kmart. I completed the online induction and went to the store and asked a manager if Kmart was hiring. They said have you done the online induction, i replied yes and they hired me...basically i skipped the interview process. I work in stock replenishment so i'll tell you a little bit about my typical shift.

Night stock replenishment starts at 8pm and finishes at 12am. The first thing you do is sign in by entering your pin. We then walk into the back area with and have a little chat. Team leader tells us what section we are in and we take out the cages and head to our section (kitchen,pets,toys....you get the idea). We start putting the new stock on the shelves. Some people take the rubbish back in to the 'compactor'. 2 hours later (We get 4 hour shifts) we go on a 15min break (suppose to be 10) and continue on where we left off. 10mins before end of shift we start packing up our cages and head out back. Last couple mins we are sweeping the floor then we sign off.

You can other have 2 types of people who tell you what to do. The first is the team leader who just doesn't give a shit about Kmart but still do what they do..lots of swearing goes on out back and talking about how retarded managers are.

The second type of people who tell you what to do are the strict assholes who couldn't care less about you and give you multiple tasks and to be expected to do them perfectly. You will often be repeating the work you just did as 1 manager will tell you what to do and another will tell you it isn't how they want it done and you end up being the person to be blamed. You really have to stick up for yourself and tell them that is what the other manager wanted so you talk to them, otherwise you'll be seen as a weakling and they will continue to treat you like this.

A few tips which i have learnt:

1) Don't be in the building any more than 4 hours. You will be desperate to get out. Sign in right before you begin, do your shift, sign out right when your shift ends. Don't say i'll start packing up when i have 5 mins left as you will be taking longer to pack up and you will be signing off late. This is a no no!.

2) If you need to go to the toilet, you don't have to ask, just go. Make your way to the toilet by walking to the back of the store and walking in there to avoid customers.

3) Customers can be unbelievably stupid. Be prepared to be asked "What is the difference between product x and product y" It isn't your job to be answering that question so tell them to ask the 'Fitting rooms'. If you don't know where a product is, don't walk around aimlessly, just ask a more experienced person to help the customer out. Also if a customer can't find an item and neither can you, tell them to head to the fitting rooms and they should be able to help you out there.

4) 2 good times to be working are other a) morning (8am-12pm) - time will go alot faster but the downside is there are more potential idiot customers, and you get the rest of the day to do whatever. b) night shift (8pm-12am) - Less customers unless you are working on late night shopping and the negative is you will most likely be tired quickly as you may have been doing something during the day.

5) Be prepared to be called in a night when you are not shifted, an hour or so before they want you to work. If you want shifts, this will not be a problem but generally, it'll piss you off.

6) Bring some food with you as you will be getting hungry. Banana and a drink is fine.

7) Walk fast and make it look like you are doing the work fast, even if you can't do a particular thing. If managers see you working slowly they'll shift you less and be generally pissed at you.

8) Some customers will bitch about the store and how something is wrong. Just smile and tell them to either go to the customer service desk or the fitting rooms - depending on their needs.

Hope this helps!

Still havent heard :(

nathdapunk

HSC

Still havent heard :(
OK. I've just came back from a extended long weekend, and my applications submitted section now has a new application, in addition to the "Expressions of Interest" one, title being "[store name] Team Members". The status of this application is "Under Consideration".

Does this mean I'm closer now to a interview? Nothing is in our inbox too.

jirwin

HSC
OK. I've just came back from a extended long weekend, and my applications submitted section now has a new application, in addition to the "Expressions of Interest" one, title being "[store name] Team Members". The status of this application is "Under Consideration".

Does this mean I'm closer now to a interview? Nothing is in our inbox too.
I think one of my Coles Group applications is still 'Under Consideration' and that's from 2004...

cozlingzs

HSC
N/A
:shouting:There seems to me allot of useful and none useful information here in relation to Kmart and how one would go about getting a job at Kmart.:pain:
First of all may I please draw desktopwhat attention to Kmart's recent brief into the correct behaviour when it comes to online communication. this was signed by all Team members and states what is ok and what isn't. You may want to ask your store manager if you could please read over this again so that you have a better understanding.:cry:

Now as for getting a job at Kmart.:cake:
This is dependent on what store you are seeking employment at..?

The best advise i can give you without any further information is this

Step 1
Apply online

Step 2
Write your ColesGroup application Number on a hard copy of your resume.

Step 3
You may think about writing a cover letter, and adding this to your resume.

Step 4
Take your resume with your application number and ask to speak to a manager.
Shake hands introduce yourself, and hand over your resume (highlighting the fact you have recorded your application number that was issued to you when you applied online)

If Step 4 does not go to plan.

Step 4.5
If manager does not come up etc. Leave your resume in an envelope addressed to store manager at the service desk (even if they tell you just to apply online)

Step 6
One week and no response.
Call up store.
If you handed your resume to a manager, ask for that manager by name.
If you handed your resume to the service desk ask for the Store Manager.
"I am calling to see if you have had time to consider my application that i handed in last ..... to you/service desk? and to also let you know i am still very interested and eager in obtaining a job at kmart" (Or what ever you think will work for you)

If your have any question I am happy to answer them
:angel:
A Kmart Manager.

nathdapunk

HSC
:shouting:There seems to me allot of useful and none useful information here in relation to Kmart and how one would go about getting a job at Kmart.:pain:
First of all may I please draw desktopwhat attention to Kmart's recent brief into the correct behaviour when it comes to online communication. this was signed by all Team members and states what is ok and what isn't. You may want to ask your store manager if you could please read over this again so that you have a better understanding.:cry:

Now as for getting a job at Kmart.:cake:
This is dependent on what store you are seeking employment at..?

The best advise i can give you without any further information is this

Step 1
Apply online

Step 2
Write your ColesGroup application Number on a hard copy of your resume.

Step 3
You may think about writing a cover letter, and adding this to your resume.

Step 4
Take your resume with your application number and ask to speak to a manager.
Shake hands introduce yourself, and hand over your resume (highlighting the fact you have recorded your application number that was issued to you when you applied online)

If Step 4 does not go to plan.

Step 4.5
If manager does not come up etc. Leave your resume in an envelope addressed to store manager at the service desk (even if they tell you just to apply online)

Step 6
One week and no response.
Call up store.
If you handed your resume to a manager, ask for that manager by name.
If you handed your resume to the service desk ask for the Store Manager.
"I am calling to see if you have had time to consider my application that i handed in last ..... to you/service desk? and to also let you know i am still very interested and eager in obtaining a job at kmart" (Or what ever you think will work for you)

If your have any question I am happy to answer them
:angel:
A Kmart Manager.
Thanks for that infomation :)

Unfortantlyn though I ended up recieving a email from HR (I had applied for a store in the Gippsland region of Victoria) rejecting my application, and have since been employed by another employer, who I am attending for my first orientation for this week.

Thanks though for that infomation, I have actually got a few friends currently looking for employment and will point them towards this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)