Katich will never wear the baggy green while Clarke is captain (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Linky: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...g-from-test-team/story-fn2mcu3x-1226179863793

Dumped Australia Test batsman Simon Katich has sensationally revealed he will never wear the baggy green while Michael Clarke is captain.

Katich and Clarke nearly came to blows in the sheds after the 2009 Sydney Test, and that moment led to his international demise.
Katich, who made a century for New South Wales on the final day of the Sheffield Shield clash with Victoria on Friday, did not hold back when speaking about Clarke.
Asked if he was resigned to the fact his days for Australia were over while Clarke was in charge, Katich said: "I would have thought so because that's why I'm in this position in the first place."
"You don't have to be Einstein to figure out that it's not just the selectors who had a part in sending me on my way," Katich said.
"To be brutally honest, what happened in the dressing room a few years ago didn't help my cause."
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Clarke is currently in South Africa with the Australia team.
Katich was controversially dumped from Cricket Australia’s central contract list in June, despite being the second highest run-scorer in Test cricket over the previous two years.
He unleashed a stinging tirade against CA officials at the time of his axing, and at one stage considered launching legal action for age discrimination.
Katich criticised CA for its antiquated system of part-time directors.
"When you talk about money you get the best in the business for paying. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys," Katich said in June.
"There's been talk about that (full-time selectors) for a while now but nothing's been done about it. It's a business, there's no doubt about that, that's just the way sport has gone.
"This is not just me, there's plenty of other guys out there as well who've gone through this. So maybe something good will come out of this situation.
"Technically I'm still contracted until the end of June 30. So no doubt the phone will ring and I'll probably have to answer for this.
"But at the same time, I'm not going to stand up here and lie about it all, because that's not going to help anyone moving forward."

I say: good on him. Clarke... not sure why he's captain. Bad choice, imo.

Lentern

HSC
I saw that article in the paper this morning and thought "well if there was any chance of Katich getting back, it's gone now." What a stupid, unprofessional thing for him to do

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Katich would never have been recalled though.
Unfortunately.

I remember I saw the big article on the back of the Telegraph today and I was like: "Oh crap... this isn't gonna end well".

I hope for the sport as a whole, this doesn't affect the team's performance. But I still don't like Clarke. <_<

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
He had to be axed sooner or later because of his age, but yeah I admit, he was one of our best batsmen by a while and right now our opening pair look very vulnerable (ie. Hughes).

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Absolute disgrace that he got dropped (Katich). Clarke shouldn't even be in the side, let alone captain.

Lentern

HSC
He had to be axed sooner or later because of his age, but yeah I admit, he was one of our best batsmen by a while and right now our opening pair look very vulnerable (ie. Hughes).
Three years younger than Waugh was when he retired and dare I say in much better form.

Bobbo1

HSC
clarke is an uphimself, egotistic loser, on the other hand ponting wasnt much better...i say bring back katich!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I haven't watched cricket in a while (due to Clarke), but isn't the opening partnership Watson and Marsh or something...?

Hughes is... a bit of a hit and miss, I'll admit.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Three years younger than Waugh was when he retired and dare I say in much better form.
Well these selectors did pick Beer...

I haven't watched cricket in a while (due to Clarke), but isn't the opening partnership Watson and Marsh or something...?

Hughes is... a bit of a hit and miss, I'll admit.
Test partnership I'm sure is Watson and Hughes. Hughes' technique is terrible, batting style is so ugly and continually underperforms.

VegemiteLoverGB

HSC
Mind you, Haddin shouldn't be in the side. His glove work is absolutely atrocious, and only ever gets 20's and 30's with the bat. Cannot wait for Paine or Wade to come into the side.
I'd rather have Ferguson/Khawaja/Marsh in there for Clarke

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Haddin was reportedly told to focus on his glovework instead of his batting. He used to be pretty solid with the bat (remember that insane stand with Hussey at the Gabba against England?) but yes he is declining rather alarmingly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well these selectors did pick Beer...

Test partnership I'm sure is Watson and Hughes. Hughes' technique is terrible, batting style is so ugly and continually underperforms.
Beer. Oh gosh, don't even remind me...

We could have a whole thread dedicated to who the best post-Warne spinner is. I'm of the view it's Hauritz. Though he wasn't very good iirc. Krejza... maybe.

ODI opening is Marsh/Watson then? I know Marsh is there somewhere...

Mind you, Haddin shouldn't be in the side. His glove work is absolutely atrocious, and only ever gets 20's and 30's with the bat. Cannot wait for Paine or Wade to come into the side.
I'd rather have Ferguson/Khawaja/Marsh in there for Clarke
Marsh in there for Clarke, sure. Khawaja... I think he underperforms a bit - Ferguson, too long ago - can't remember if he's crap or not.

Tim Paine... could be interesting. Long term choice, for sure.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hauritz was very unlucky to get dropped, he didn't do that badly you know. It'd be hard to be the next spinner after Warne anyway.
And players such as Vettori and Murali openly admitted he was our best spinner.

ODI opening pair is Watto/Warner. Marsh is down the order.

Test wise, Marsh should be there along with Khawaja. Give him more time, he's got the technique and temperament to succeed at Test level. Ferguson's alright I guess.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hauritz was very unlucky to get dropped, he didn't do that badly you know. It'd be hard to be the next spinner after Warne anyway.

ODI opening pair is Watto/Warner. Marsh is down the order.

Test wise, Marsh should be there along with Khawaja. Give him more time, he's got the technique and temperament to succeed at Test level. Ferguson's alright I guess.
I could've sworn Marsh opened the batting once... was that in Sri Lanka?

Lentern

HSC
No, no he wasn't. He is a dreadful bowler, the idea that sticking with him would have provided anything useful in the Ashes is delusory. He also wasn't Warnes successor, that was Macgill who retired after a mediocre series against Sri Lanka(although infinitely better than Hauritz), Likewise Hogg after he got taken to task by Tendulkar and Sehwag the next year. Mcgain was also tried but got injured, Krejza took a shitload of wickets against India who are generally the best players of spin in the world, but was dropped because he was expensive. Smith, Doherty and Beer all proved to be substandard at test level but gambling is worthwhile when the alternative is Hauritz. Where did Vettori and Muralitharan say those thinks, I'd like to see a link?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It was about a year back when they said that I think on Cricinfo, sorry if I can't find the link.

But I still believe he was our best option compared to the trash you mentioned in players like Smith and Beer.

Okay so he didn't take that many wickets, he bowled tight and whilst I will scoff at his continual armballs, it was a damn safer sight seeing him bowl than others.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My memory of Hauritz bowling was that caught+bowled against Pakistan at the SCG where he had his finger bloodied afterward... shame that it's likely Pakistan threw away the match.

And did we seriously mention Steve Smith? /me facepalms

I swear he probably got picked because he resembles Warne.

Lentern

HSC
It was about a year back when they said that I think on Cricinfo, sorry if I can't find the link.

But I still believe he was our best option compared to the trash you mentioned in players like Smith and Beer.

Okay so he didn't take that many wickets, he bowled tight and whilst I will scoff at his continual armballs, it was a damn safer sight seeing him bowl than others.
Yes but Clarke is just as capable of bowling defensive darts to occupy one end and keep the run rate down, if Australia is going to have a spinner he needs to be there with some wicket taking purpose not just there to be reasonably tight while the seamers take a break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)