• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Kevin Rudd salutes to his master George Bush!! (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has been caught on film saluting US president George W. Bush - but he says the incident was just a joke.

Cameras caught the gesture as world leaders gathered in Bucharest for talks on NATO's involvement in Afghanistan.

Mr Rudd is seen saluting the President in acknowledgment, bringing to mind Mr Bush's description of former prime minister John Howard as his "deputy sheriff".

But asked about the moment later, Mr Rudd laughed out loud and said it was "a joke".

The Prime Minister will leave Bucharest with Australia's demands for NATO troops to carry a bigger burden in Afghanistan partially satisfied.

But his plan for the destruction of drug crops failed to win support.

He again reaffirmed Australia's commitment to staying in Afghanistan for the "long haul" but said its support wasn't a "blank cheque".

"We have a significant commitment here but it's not a blank cheque, it's a commitment to the long term," he said. "It has to be measured against the benchmarks we have set."

Australia, which has 1000 troops in the southern province of Oruzgan, has repeatedly called for greater burden sharing by NATO allies, particularly the Europeans.

In a declaration on Afghanistan, NATO and other coalition partners "agreed to support each other in sharing the burden".

But commanders of the NATO-led force have fallen short of their target of getting an additional 10,000 forces into the war zone.

The US is sending in an extra 3500 Marines, and France has committed an extra battalion of around 800 troops, with speculation they may also send 200 special forces.

New Zealand and Slovakia will make a modest contribution, while Poland and Britain are also expected to bolster their numbers.

Mr Rudd said more needed to be done but it was still an improvement.

"It is important the contributions have gone forwards, they have not gone backwards," he said.

"The French contribution is of substance and significance."

However, Mr Rudd's key message to the summit - on the need to destroy opium poppy crops he believes is fuelling the violence by providing funds for the Taliban - fell on deaf ears.

A communique on Afghanistan only resolved to "continue to support Afghan-led efforts to tackle the narcotics problem".

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23482793-2,00.html
Heil Bush.:rofl:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Counterpoint: who cares

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Nat3skiz said:
it was just a simple form of acknowledgement. Hardly a big deal.

Yeah you know, you're right, had it been John Howard, it would cause such a huge uproar the United States would consider Australia as their new state.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Yeah you know, you're right, had it been John Howard, it would cause such a huge uproar the United States would consider Australia as their new state.
hahahaha IT WAS SOOOO CLOSE. If he had another year or Prime Minister, god knows what would have happened.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nat3skiz said:
makes me wonder if sometimes there really is that man up there watching out for us.
Mufasa?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Luckily this won't be televised in bias ignorant US media. Because if it had it would have played on America's and much of the world interpretation (or rather misinterpretation) that Australia is a bunch of jokers, as far up as the Prime Minister.

I miss you John Howard. :(

Zrap

glock9
HSC
JaredR said:
Luckily this won't be televised in bias ignorant US media. Because if it had it would have played on America's and much of the world interpretation (or rather misinterpretation) that Australia is a bunch of jokers, as far up as the Prime Minister.

I miss you John Howard. :(
GTFO

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Even by the australian media's low standards, this is a massive beatup. Not that this has prevented brendan nelson informing us that it belittles the office of australian prime minister or whatever.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Triangulum said:
Even by the australian media's low standards, this is a massive beatup. Not that this has prevented brendan nelson informing us that it belittles the office of australian prime minister or whatever.

I think Bobby (Greens party) said that as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)