Key words & phrases for a good essay! (1 Viewer)

ponny

HSC
Hey people

This is just for anyone with good key words or phrases for imaginative essays, which sound good or you know the markers would be looking for. Feel free to add! :)

"conjured up"

"vast stream of images"

"thrown/delved/dived into an imagined world"

"lulls into a dreamy world"

"boundless images and scenes inside ones mind"

"imagination is a readily available source of power"

beckywecky

HSC
Yes, cliched and wankerish sums up the HSC English course perfectly!

Thanks for those.

*Writes a complete imaginative essay for the first time*

Arr I'm screwed.

ponny

HSC
thats ok...but i was hoping people would put others up! anyyone??

The imaginative texts i'm doing are: coleridge poems kubla kahn and lime tree bower, ivory trail, imagine - john lennon, alice in wonderland, microsoft add,

~FeLiCiTy~

HSC
Yeah we all hate english but what can ya do...

Some phrases for a good essay intro, topic sentences etc:
  • "All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware" M.Buber
  • IJ: Movements where a person does not actually have to go anywhere. The literal expedition is absent and replaced by the human capacity to imagine
  • Imagination can be defined as the ability to dream, speculate or transcend actual existence
  • In a place where imagination ruled, humanity was defined (for tempest)

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
NOTE: HSC English is only wankery and cliched if you let it. More importantly, to get good marks and actually state that it is wankery or cliched in an essay you need to know what you're doing.

I'm guessing, as you're all here posting in the week before an exam, talking about phrases, you need a little more than just the phrases...

To start with:
"loosely linked"
"unusually simplistic"
"alludes to"

Quotes... there are too many to bring up. Look at past papers for ideas of some, google if you need to.

In terms of writing, the only advice I can give as a pathways student is:
- please don't mix split infinitives with unsplit infinitives;
- please reference quotes and texts properly.

My Texts
Coleridge: Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Frost at Midnight / Lime Tree Bower
BOS: Journey to the Interior / Journey's over Land and Sea
Additional: Pirates of the Caribbean, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (book)

I'll decide what I actualy use on the day... no point even considering it until I see the question.

If you don't understand why I've chosen a text, please, don't try and do it. (This applies primarily to Pirates - I spent around forty minutes discussing that with two teachers who had already decided it was a physical journey, only to pull 95% out of the trial, losing marks on Coleridge.)

Last edited:

beckywecky

HSC
One day.

And I STILL haven't written a creative writing piece or essay. Blooooooooooooody hell. This is really not a good time to have writers block!

Symmetries in The Tempest:
The Tempest is like, " 'A hall of mirrors' in which reflection is added to reflection in a curiously claustrophobic dramatic world." - Harold Brookes

"The Journey is a multilayered notion, consisting of several components, all a constant metaphorical road of experience..."

All I know is that I am doing The Tempest... As far as related texts, I think I'll do "Imagine" by John Lennon (alluding to his own Utopian World like Gonzalo's in The Tempest) and "The Wizard of Oz." I have barely looked at the Stimulus booklet yet :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)