Keywords (1 Viewer)

intodisco

HSC
I have always avoided looking into and studying the keywords which are frequently used in all short answer and long response questions.
After looking into it, i found the huge list of the keywords that the Board of Studies use-

Account- Account for: state reasons for, report on. Give an account of: narrate a series of events or transactions

Analyse- Identify components and the relationship between them; draw out and relate implications

Apply- Use, utilise, employ in a particular situation

Appreciate- Make a judgement about the value of

Assess- Make a judgement of value, quality, outcomes, results or size

Calculate- Ascertain/determine from given facts, figures or information

Clarify- Make clear or plain

Classify- Arrange or include in classes/categories

Compare- Show how things are similar or different

Construct- Make; build; put together items or arguments

Contrast- Show how things are different or opposite

Critically (analyse/evaluate)- Add a degree or level of accuracy depth, knowledge and understanding, logic, questioning, reflection and quality to (analyse/evaluate)

Deduce- Draw conclusions

Define- State meaning and identify essential qualities

Demonstrate- Show by example

Describe- Provide characteristics and features

Discuss- Identify issues and provide points for and/or against

Distinguish- Recognise or note/indicate as being distinct or different from; to note differences between

Evaluate- Make a judgement based on criteria; determine the value of

Examine- Inquire into

Explain- Relate cause and effect; make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how

Extract- Choose relevant and/or appropriate details

Extrapolate- Infer from what is known

Identify- Recognise and name

Interpret- Draw meaning from

Investigate- Plan, inquire into and draw conclusions about

Justify- Support an argument or conclusion

Outline- Sketch in general terms; indicate the main features of

Predict- Suggest what may happen based on available information

Propose- Put forward (for example a point of view, idea, argument, suggestion) for consideration or action

Recall- Present remembered ideas, facts or experiences

Recommend- Provide reasons in favour

Recount- Retell a series of events

Summarise- Express, concisely, the relevant details

Synthesise- Putting together various elements to make a whole

Surely this list is too large to memorise or remember all the small differences between them. I was wondering how do you guys remember them all, or what is the best way to get your head around it. (e.g- Do you put them in groups? Make acronyms? Make them simpilified or in your own words?)

Also, which of these keywords will I be likely to find in the following subjects:
  • PDHPE
  • Standard English
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Surely this list is too large to memorise or remember all the small differences between them. I was wondering how do you guys remember them all, or what is the best way to get your head around it. (e.g- Do you put them in groups? Make acronyms? Make them simpilified or in your own words?)
We don't, and i don't know anyone who does.

Might be helpful to know these though

"Analyse" and Discuss"

anything else is really really simple.

Most of the time you can just go with the flow by looking at the question really

bored of sc

HSC
The list can be divided into three groups based on their level of complexity.

1. Low-order thinking keywords i.e. the basic verbs generally used in objective response (e.g. multiple choice) and short-answer type questions. E.g. Define, identify, summarise.

2. Middle-order keywords verbs that tend to be used in short answers and straight-forward essays. They require you to make correlations. E.g. Account, demonstrate, explain.

3. High-order thinking keywords require a significant amount of critical thinking. Doing well in these types of questions can help move you from a band 5 to a band 6. They are generally used in essays. E.g. Assess, evaluate, synthesise.

Just to be clear, ANY keyword in the list could be asked in ANY subject (except for verbs like calculate in English). Be prepared for ANY keyword.

The following is not excessive. They simply list the common keywords in each of the courses.

PDHPE: describe, discuss, explain, outline and summarise.

English: analyse, explain, evaluate, justify and synthesise.

Chemistry: calculate, compare, extrapolate, interpret and predict.

Biology: similar to Chemistry; classify, propose, recount.

Don't be too pedantic about learning the words. You'll naturally get used to them as you complete past-paper questions.

Last edited:

intodisco

HSC
I heard that you are only really assessed on the keywords in the highter marked questions (questions worth 6-8 marks).
Is this true? Or is this mainly because they use the 2nd or 3rd level keywords in these questions, which people are likely to misinterprete? (e.g- They lose marks because they examine instead of investigate).
Also, how many marks am I likely to lose if I accidently do this?

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
It's very important to know the meaning of each of the keywords cause let's face it, if you don't answer the question you can't access the higher grades.

To reiterate, keywords are used in every type of question, not just 5+ markers. I remember getting a question worth 2 marks partially wrong because I didn't properly address the keyword.

It's hard to say how many marks you'd lose for not properly addressing a keyword. It depends on what the marking criteria is, how successfully you've recalled content, how pedantic the marker actually is etc. If you, for example, describe instead of analyse you'll be severely penalised marks because the two words have very different meanings. If (like you said) you examine, instead of investigate, you wouldn't be penalised too harshly because the words have very similar meanings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)