King Lear Help A.s.a.p On Context And Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

sal17

HSC
hey everyone :p
can someone plz tell me about the context in king lear and how i should structure my essay (what order should everying go in?) e.g. interpretations, scene analysis, etc
and everything i need to include in my essay, (how may interpretations, readings, scene analysis)
also what is the difference between readings and interpretations?

Brad.1990

HSC
KING LEAR is the module that is going to let me down in English.
I need to know heaps of stuff on it.
Does anyone know of anywhere I can get my hands on a summary of what I need to know??

danz90

HSC
Mod.B with King Lear is perhaps one of the most difficult modules in English adv.

For this module, I would recommend you not focus much on context (however it is vital that you still integrate it into each body paragraph)... but the readings/interpetations of King lear (eg. family-psychological by Eyre, and Absurdist by Brook) and how the composer uses language devices in highlighting the meaning of their interpretation (eg. close-up shots and intimately positioned characters in Eyre's family-psych reading reveals the intimacy and electric relationships and emotions between family members).

For this module, you must include in each paragraph:

Topic Sentence - Make sure to include question's key words here.
Context - A very brief overview of the scene chosen.
Quote/Ref - Use a quote from the book here - remember, you still have to display thorough knowledge of the text by Shakespeare, not just its modern interpretations.
Language - Analyse the quote's language devices used by Shakespeare.
Director's Reading - Here is where you need to specifically analyse how the director has constructed that part of the scene or shot, in order to highlight the values in the play they want to bring out with their reading.
Textual Integrity - Make sure you state how that specific scene contributes to the play's meaning as a whole. e.g. Exposes Lear's folly which leads him on a path of tragic decisions leading to his abuse of regal powers. (this is a rough sentence)
Audience Response - Give an overview of the audience's response to that particular scene. e.g. Sympathy of the pain endured by Lear as he come's to terms with his tragic flaws (storm Scene).
Closing sentence - Make sure you keep nailing in the question's key words here to make sure you marker knows you're directly addressing the question.

'Peppering' the question's key words throughout your body paragaphs (not just in opening and closing sentences) shows your marker that you're directly addressing the question.

Also, I'd suggest that you establish links/comparisons between scenes of different readings (to get into an A-range).
e.g. Act 5.4, where we observe destruction and the symbolic downfall of a society in Brook's Absurdist reading (Lear's death) richly contrasts Act 4.6 (i think?), where Lear and Cordelia rekindle their relationship and ignite a spiritual communion, enhancing familial connections.

JDurrant

HSC
According to my teacher, and seemingly from recent exam questions, they are moving away from questions regarding filmic and theoretical interpretations as this is a 'close study of the text'.

vmoore

HSC
yes id say your essay is on King Lear.. not on filmatic responses. What danz90 says is great because he acknowledges the need for chakespeare language and its affect. most ppl just think its analysing movies - this is wrong and will get you a poor mark.

You can add analysis of movie scenes... but not too much.
as far as context goes you need to relate the interpritation to the context of the reading and how it realtes to taht time. this sounds difficult and worded funny but its easy. eg. brook's existerntialist reading was done at the time of the vietnam war. very bleak time in history.

or much clearer - a family reading is relavent to everyone and any context. if you have your own interpitation and disuss it, you need to say why it relates to you in YOUR context of 2008 Australia. for instance it isnt worth you saying a Jacobean polictial commentary as your interpriation (although you can very well argue this) but it doesnt relate to your context. Link every interpritation with its context.

A reading is the same as an interpritation.

How i structure my essays is 1 interpritation cronological scene analysis (2-3 scenes) then another interpritation (again 2 or 3 scenes - i suggest same scene). within each i adress context and critics interpritations.

hope this helps, just ask if anything else needs clarification.

it is also good to have very opposing interpritations as to heighten the rich language of the play and show you have accepted and understood differnet weays of reading

parky2008

HSC
vmoore said:
yes id say your essay is on King Lear.. not on filmatic responses. What danz90 says is great because he acknowledges the need for chakespeare language and its affect. most ppl just think its analysing movies - this is wrong and will get you a poor mark.

You can add analysis of movie scenes... but not too much.
as far as context goes you need to relate the interpritation to the context of the reading and how it realtes to taht time. this sounds difficult and worded funny but its easy. eg. brook's existerntialist reading was done at the time of the vietnam war. very bleak time in history.

or much clearer - a family reading is relavent to everyone and any context. if you have your own interpitation and disuss it, you need to say why it relates to you in YOUR context of 2008 Australia. for instance it isnt worth you saying a Jacobean polictial commentary as your interpriation (although you can very well argue this) but it doesnt relate to your context. Link every interpritation with its context.

A reading is the same as an interpritation.

How i structure my essays is 1 interpritation cronological scene analysis (2-3 scenes) then another interpritation (again 2 or 3 scenes - i suggest same scene). within each i adress context and critics interpritations.

hope this helps, just ask if anything else needs clarification.

it is also good to have very opposing interpritations as to heighten the rich language of the play and show you have accepted and understood differnet weays of reading
you probably should listen to what vmoore says

i sit next to him in economics! :D

vmoore

HSC
parky2008 said:
you probably should listen to what vmoore says

i sit next to him in economics! :D
hahaha! who is this,
alistair ??

danz90

HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't this module require a close study of the text IN ADDITION to study of at least two modern readings/adaptations, which you MUST refer to in your answer, regardless of the question. If you don't refer to the readings in your answer, you will get a really low mark.

vmoore

HSC
danz90 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't this module require a close study of the text IN ADDITION to study of at least two modern readings/adaptations, which you MUST refer to in your answer, regardless of the question. If you don't refer to the readings in your answer, you will get a really low mark.
Module B: Critical Study of Texts
This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.
Each elective in this module requires close study of a single text to be chosen from a list of prescribed texts.
Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.
Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

straight from the syllabus itself... umm where does it say 'IN ADDITION to study of at least two modern readings/adaptations' ?
it says 'they research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text.' nothing about modern... nothing about productions... it is about others interpritations.
here you need to compare your own and someone elses... modern texts are good - dont get me wrong - but dont get into the trap of ONLY talking bout films. and there is no set number of interpritations you need... 2 in detail is good. you can have more but like writing about 3 or 4 texts.. your analysis runs low with time constraints.

parky2008

HSC
vmoore said:
hahaha! who is this,
alistair ??
yep pretty much. was procrastinating so i though i may as well be semi-productive and try and look at stuff to do with lear as opposed to msn

and then as i was reading i saw your name and was like "ZOMG ITS VAUGHAN" so i thought i'd comment

lol i went to the bottleshop and didnt get asked for i.d AGAIN

i havent been asked once since i turned 18, its so depressing now i actually want them to ask =(

frostysnow

HSC
If you are confused about readings and all that, i would recommend NOT using it at all. You are not required to quote Eyre or Bradley or whoever. my teacher marked that section for the hsc last year and she said it is not required to quote other people's readings.

YOu must have a personal response and textual support to back it up.
If the question asks about context, do the jacobean context and our current context (2 readings)

HSC
readings and productions arent required this yr. however it wouldnt hurt to refer to one or too IF u know how to use it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)