King Lear HSC06 question (1 Viewer)

ane_st

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
So these "different perspectives" are readings e.g. Marxist, Feminist, right?

I've never thought that you needed to write about different productions until I looked at the boredofstudies site so I'm kinda confused again.
Wtf?? You'll learn it when you get to it... Why is it such a worry for you now.. Once you start the topic you'll know what everyone is talking about.....

HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
I'm a bit confused. In Yr11 Critical Study, all we needed to do was the write briefly about critics and then an indepth reading (feminism, psychoanalysism etc) and a personal reading.
Do. Not. Try. To. Link. Yr 11 and Yr 12 syllabi.

One is written by your school, the other is written by the board. Whilst there may be some crossovers, don't assume they will ask the same thing!!!

Oh and second word of advice. Don't try and ask "so what's this module about?" type questions in a last-minute-before-HSC exams start type thread. Once they start getting edgy and you start becoming annoying, you enter suicide territory. (ie stay out of their way until their exams are over)

Last edited:

mara0123

HSC
melllyy said:
nowhere in the syllabus (and my teacher has told me a million times) does it say anything about productions. if you write your whole essay on the production you wont get anywhere, because this module is about the actual TEXT - KING LEAR nothing else. it says evaluate so that obviously says that is one requirement,also we have to talk about its textual integrity another requirement and also context (range of contexts - even todays), also we must talk about the audience. People can choose to decide to write about productions, but are really wasting their time because if they are going to be added only a maximum of 2 sentences should be used, because as i said and so did my teacher this module is about THE TEXT and its context where as module a and c are about THE CONCEPT.

you need to use productions and critical theory to support your interpretation of the text otherwise your argument is basically void!!

ther "other perspectives" in the syllabus means the productions etc...if you dont include productions u dont have enough support for your discussion

and they can ask for productions...you'll be stuffed if u havent prepared any...so do one at least just in case

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
‘Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.’
Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.
In your response, refer to TWO extracts from your prescribed text.

How would you answer a question like this?! Do you need to discuss the context in ehich YOU'RE interpreting it?? Someone, please help!

Tim035

HSC
Whilst I believe this year will focus more on themes and readings, a strong paragraph I feel is still needed exploring how KL has been viewed and received over the years/different contexts. This would involve demonstrating how KL was originally viewed and then moving on to talk briefly about how two other productions in different contexts view/ produced the play differently. BEFORE THEN MOVING ONTO THE FOCUS which will be your own interpretation and possibly another reading.

BTW I havn't done this but I have seen numerous others that have gone "my personal interpretation of king lear is a marxist reading". Surely you can't do that and need to formulate your own original ideas.

So based on the above my stab at KL question 2006 is:

"No doubt King Lear has been produced and received in a variety on contextual settings, perhaps of more interest though is how or why King Lear will continue to be valued in future years".
Discuss this statement through a critical analysis of King Lear and by refering to your personal valuing and interpretation of the play.
Your analysis should focus on the language, structure and characterisation of King Lear.

ane_st

HSC
Tim035 said:
BTW I havn't done this but I have seen numerous others that have gone "my personal interpretation of king lear is a marxist reading". Surely you can't do that and need to formulate your own original ideas.
You can say that your own intepretation is influenced by the Marxist reading etc. etc.

ane_st

HSC
dagwoman said:
‘Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.’
Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.
In your response, refer to TWO extracts from your prescribed text.

How would you answer a question like this?! Do you need to discuss the context in ehich YOU'RE interpreting it?? Someone, please help!
Ok firstly, TWO extracts is obviously two key scenes from KL..

How has your own context shaped YOUR understanding of KL (relate this to your readings) - then relate this to your production (maybe if yours is from diff context e.g. Peter Brook (1971) and Harlos (2006)...

For e.g. Im doing the family and existentialist readings... I would say that the family reading is relevant in my context because the 'family' is an extremely universal theme, the family in society- it is always relevant... Whereas for the existentialist readings i would say that we are responsible for our own future and our choices are what makes us who we are and we need to be ready for the consequences - just like Lear... And then relate this back to context because in todays society we are much more independant etc. etc. How the reading is portrayed in our society and how was it still relevant....

Im not to sure if that made sense??? But i guess thats the best way to explain it cause that was a hard question... I hope that helped and didnt confuse you!!

schmoph

HSC
adn as someone else said, in the syllabus it says "OTHERS INTERPRETATIONS" which means productions on how others view and interpret the play ie richard ayres version focusing on family and femanism, then by using textual integrity AND your OWN understanding of the text by quoting etc thats how u answer the question, my teacher who is an hsc marker of this question drilled us to at least mention other productions, when they mark they see what work u have done and what u know, at least saying u have seen different productions of the play shows that u understand the text and what the inturprettor was tryign to portray THEIR understanding of it. soooooooo maybe not disregard it totally! (note i realsie i am a shcoking speller please excuse!)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
melllyy said:
other perspectives meaning other contexts.
Im not saying dont write about productions, but my teacher and all other teachers at my school said to us so many times that you dont need to write about productions. Someone could write an essay all on productions and it is really good but then someone writes about context - the person with context will get a higher mark because that is part of the marking criteria.
anyway its up to everyone what they want to add in their essay
melllyy, what school do you go to? my school tells me pretty much the opposite. module A is more about context, module B is more about productions.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
A document we were given (by the English department at our school) includes the following:

Module B: Critical Study of Texts
This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.
•Students research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding.
•For this text, students explore its literary qualities and the ways in which different readings are possible and imply different values that may be realised through different productions.

•Your own personal reading of King Lear should form the basis of your discussion. You may refer to this in first person.
•You should only refer to your own reading a couple of times each paragraph, but nevertheless you keep coming back to it.
•Your understanding of the play is informed by many things – your knowledge of Jacobean times, Shakespeare’s context, your own values/interests, understanding of language etc.
•In any response you must:
  • –Establish your own reading or interpretation of King Lear – what do you think it is about?
  • –Demonstrate close understanding of the play itself. How has your understanding of Shakespeare’s language influenced your reading?
  • –Elaborate on how your reading has been shaped by other perspectives (of the play) and productions.
  • –This involves considering how certain aspects of values of different readings relate to your own understanding of the play
  • –Explain how different productions support your reading.

nahian

HSC
Tim0
Your question will never be asked this year
because it is really simiiliar to the 'Does KL have a use-by date' question
I believe the question will ask for a personal interpretation of the play that has been influenced by other productions/readings

nahian

HSC
Yeh I'm going with DagWoman aswell
Module b, although it can lead to diff interpretations in diff contexts,
is not a study of context and this shouldn't form the foundations of your response

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)