King Lear intro - plz help (1 Viewer)

sly fly

HSC
Hey guys, I'm trying to write a generic essay for King Lear but I can't seem to get it right. Here's my intro......would somebody be so kind as to tell me how I can change it, reword it, what to leave out or whatever. I don't really like it because it seems kind of messy......what do u guys reckon?

William Shakespeare's, deliberately ambivalent 'King Lear', is regarded as a 'universal tragedy' because of the scope for it to be revalued for a modern context. While first composed in 1606, King Lear encompasses timeless issues such as gender roles and justice thereby maintaining its relevance to contemporary society. A variety of interpretations of the play have emerged, each with its own values and receptions regarding the essential meaning of the play. Two such interpretations include the feminist reading realised by Megan Finlay in her 2004 CUT Theatre 'Queen Lere' production and the nihilistic reading which inspired the 1966 Peter Brooks production. These readings of King Lear have inevitably been influenced by their individual contexts in terms of both their content and their attempt to present the textual integrity of the play.

SmileyCam

HSC
William Shakespeare's, (deliberately ambivalent)?[I wouldn't say it's deliberate] 'King Lear', is regarded as a 'universal tragedy' because (of the scope for it to be revalued for a modern context) [odd sentence try, "because it has been revalued for various contexts.). While first composed in 1606, King Lear encompasses timeless issues such as gender roles and justice thereby maintaining its relevance to contemporary society. A variety of interpretations [and productions] of the play have emerged, (each with its own values and receptions regarding the essential meaning of the play)?[again, odd sentence]. Two such interpretations include the feminist reading realised by Megan Finlay in her 2004 CUT Theatre 'Queen Lere' production and the nihilistic reading which inspired the (1966)[isn't it 1962?] Peter Brooks production. These readings of King Lear have inevitably been (influenced) [shaped] by their individual contexts in terms of both their content and their (attempt to present)[watch your modality, "presentation of"] the textual integrity of the play.

yes, it is a bit messy, you need to clarify your ideas about the topic, although, there's not much time left

sly fly

HSC
Thanks heaps for ur help:)......yeah I do need to clarify my ideas about it but yeah theres no time left. I've tended to focus more on my other two modules coz I don't like King Lear. Here's the new intro - I made some adjustments. It's not as messy, but it's still not great. Lemme know what u think

William Shakespeare's, 'King Lear', is regarded as a 'universal tragedy' because it has been revalued for different contexts. While first composed in 1606, King Lear encompasses timeless issues such as gender roles and justice thereby maintaining its relevance to contemporary society. A variety of interpretations of the play have emerged, each with its own philosophies regarding the essential meaning of the play. Two such interpretations include the feminist reading realised by Megan Finlay in her 2004 CUT Theatre 'Queen Lere' production and the nihilistic reading which inspired the 1962 Peter Brooks production. These readings of King Lear have inevitably been shaped by their individual contexts in terms of both their content and their presentation of the textual integrity of the play.

SmileyCam

HSC
William Shakespeare's, 'King Lear', is regarded as a 'universal tragedy' because it has been revalued for [many] different contexts. While first composed in 1606, King Lear encompasses timeless issues such as gender roles and justice thereby maintaining its relevance to contemporary society. [From this] A variety of interpretations of the play have emerged, each with its own philosophies regarding the essential meaning of the play. Two such interpretations include the feminist reading realised by Megan Finlay in her 2004 CUT Theatre 'Queen Lere' production and the nihilistic reading which inspired the 1962 Peter Brooks production. These readings of King Lear have inevitably been shaped by their individual contexts in terms of both their content and their presentation (of) the textual integrity of the play.

just a bit of tweaking, but it looks good, just remember to mould it to the question in the exam

[] = add
() = remove

mynameisgone

A quick question, are you doing Brook's 1962 stage production or his 1971 film in black and white.
both maintained similar nihilstic themes although the techniques and acting used are very different due to the different medium.

plz reply

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
sky fly, my advice is that you DON'T do a generic essay for KING LEAR!~
their questions are sometimes specific and other times they r broad
just make it up in the exam.
I was thinking bout doing one for KL, i'm doing prepared essays for my other 2 modules but yeah this one is too risky.
They can ask: themes, YOUR interpretation, productions, characters, about the play itself, certain scenes, different readings or whatever...
does your essay cover ALL those? see...thats why KL is not a good one 2 go generic for.
Good luck.
I hate King Lear but have had luck just making it up in the exam. hopeufully it will be good 2moro too.

sly fly

HSC
Mynameisgone - umm u mean stage production in terms of theatre? coz I haven't haerd of that, I'm just doing the Peter Brooks film that's in black and white (I'm assuming that's the one ur talking about)......I haven't even watched it lol, I'm just making it up

Goan crazy - I guess ur right but I've already got notes on all those things u mentioned ie.scenes, characters etc......so I'm just doing an essay for extra preparation (I'm pretty sure KL will be an essay). Thanks for your advice

positive

HSC
Yup this topic sux, it is way too broad to write generic answers for, so lately I've just being studying it as if it were Modern History or something by breaking it into the sections like themes, productions, scenes, readings etc.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yep, I have to agree with you guys on this one. Module A will definitely be good if you have a pre-prepared answer, though for King Lear, really its just way too complicated to do so. Best bet is memorise interpretations/productions/quotes and perhaps contextual influences and themes.

Hence, use your 10 minutes reading time really really wisely. Lol, also what I'm about to say was actually said at an ETA conference, its like a small way of cheating an extra few minutes for planning, you all know the procedure of filling in your student number and centre number at the top right? Open up one booklet, and allow one of its sides [i.e. the front cover to reach into the exam paper itself, apparently in some situations you may be able to see the first question [that is if the 1st question is Transformations/In the wild]. Its a few precious minutes...but hey ^^ its useful!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i still think that a generic essay is good for all modules. however my term of generic is knowing your ideas and knowing how to express them in the essay in relation to the question.

the intro is to introduce your argument. so why not have a planned angle of attack on the essay. well the module does ask for your own view, so your own view can be in the form of a planned thesis.

well it is also bad having a pre-planned response as some people take it literally. you do it to a degree.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
man.........ITS OVER! ITS FINISHED......you realise how long ago that thread was? the day before the 2nd english exam......its been 2 weeks........get over it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)