• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

King Lear is Killing me! (1 Viewer)

AmericanGirl213

Does anyone have any critical work on King lear in relationto a family drama reading?! I have looked at Sydney Uni's library and they didnt have anything and the due date for the assignment is getting closer! The internet is giving me too much (unless Im looking in the wrong places?!)
Someone please help! Im usually great at English and really think this is going to pull me down!

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
um have u tried watching a family production of Lear? Did ut teacher show u ne in class? Our class watched two prodcutions- a communist by some Russian guy dont ask me his name and a familial reading by Richard Eyre... u coud try hiring it out... although i doubt u could find it!:confused: basically u need to talk about how the play doesnt go along the lines of a tradiotional reading where Reagan and Goneril as seen as evil bitches and see it more as a family squablle. Also Lear is primarily a father not a king and the anger that he feels is not due to his loss of power but to the betrayl of his family. You need to discuss how a composer can use a setting to convey this. Acting, can be used to show Lear as a hurt, frail old man as opposed to a meglomaniac king, as well as staging, setting, lighting... etc etc I did have an essay on this but itisnt on my computer and sorry dude im not going 2 type it up! GOOD LUCK just remeber to mention that a familial reading is only done in a post-modernist context:D

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
well , u basically need to talk abt da different wayz in which the play can be interpreted eg: lit crit , psychoanalytical, marxist, and so on....
in addition u also need to include king lear productions ( 2 atleast i think but confirm with ur teacher) like the STC or Nimrod or whichever one u have seen....

losty

we havent been studying lear in terms of "readings".... yes we have watched various productions and so on but we have focused more on the various techniques used by the directors and how it refers to contemporary society..... i know this can be looked upon as contemporary becasue it suited russian society then etc but everyone else seems to be focusing more on critical readings etc... ahhhhhhhhh are we doing it wrong????????

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
lotsy i dont think u guys are necessarily doing it wrong, but have u looked at how the techniques that a composer uses to convey a certain reading to a responder... argh i know thats confusing! so in essence when your teacher showed you the different productions did they explain what type of reading that you did? and then did tehy show you the techniques that the composer used to convey the reading! but hey dont take my word 4 it i could b all wrong... but i hope im not... coz there goes my uai!

losty

hehe nahh ur making sense....
i guess we kind of talked about it but we havent mentioned it in terms of "family drama" "psychoanalyticalr" or "marxist" etc etc

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Ironic, no_proof_needed, considering he's dead. :)

Lear is the hardest module, and the markers know this. Don't stress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)