• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

King Lear is so cool (1 Viewer)

oh_god_the_HSFC

Did anyone go and see the Bondi Production of King Lear (earlier in the year)
When talking about techniques, i was trying to remember what the obvious ones were

Use of the Wheel (i forgot to talk about this in my trial.. how dumb am I?)
Use of coloured letters to signify different emotions/feelings.
Modern Costume then
Change of Costume after interval from long dresses to war stuff...
Incorporation of the audience into the production by use of the widened stage and the back entrances...
Use of Music to back up the fool (singing)

Does anyone have any other ideas/techniques/cricicism. I've heard that this one i a good one to do as long as you dont contrast it with the Eyre production (with the red room) because that is family drama as well. If there were only a few people in your class who saw it, it is also a good one to talk about because it will differentiate you from the rest of you class and make the marker sit up and pay attention to what you have to say...

The_White

No I didn't see that :(

But Lear has to be the BEST Shakespeare play we have ever studied ;)

BTW in your signature "out" is spelled "ou"

allyteaded

Originally posted by The_White

But Lear has to be the BEST Shakespeare play we have ever studied ;)
Lear...? I actually liked Henry IV better, which I studied in year 11. I don't really like Lear. I guess I'm not a "Tragedy" person. I like "Histories" and "Comedies."

Anymew, I saw the Bondi. Out of the ones I saw this was the one I liked least but I still liked it. The others I saw were Genesian Theatre production and the Wesley Institute which was my favourite.

I think the set was very clever - wheel shaped object. (Is that what you would call it...?) Would you say it was minimalist? The fact that it could change shape - it was a circle before when the family was together and as the play progresses, it is broken apart.

I think the play can be interpreted from a familial perspective; family is valued. This is evident in the first scene which compared to the Wesley and the Genesian, was lighthearted, almost cheerful tone.

Costuming - my english teacher pointed out. Note how Gonerill and Regan both had high heals or high shoes on and Cordelia had almost flat heals?

The fool... he was amusing but I didn't see how he fit into the interpretation of the play in the production. He seemed very... 50's? whereas everything else was contemporary. I always envisioned the fool as a young boy. I suppose this was different for me because the fool had an older appearance. I suppose this comes from the older you are the wiser you are...? I dunno, it seemed cliche to me.

Ooh.. and about Edgar, is he the same actor who played Edgar in one of the video versions of Lear? Sorry.. I can't remember which one it was... but if anyone has seen bondi, tell me if that guy looks familiar.

The thing about Bondi and Genesian is that... Edgar seemed a lot younger than Edmond where in the text, Edmond is supposed to be younger. Call me a perfectionist but yeah...

I was disappointed in how they did Act 5, Scene 2. It's a short scene but a very important one from a psychoanalytical perspective which is what I'm doing. I think they should have emphasized it more.

I like the use of space in terms of entrances of characters - characters entered from the back of the audience as well. It might have been confusing, particularly in the storm scene, but all the better, storms are by nature, very confusing.

ok... I beta stop nows.

Ciao Mao!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)