King Lear - Peter Brook...need help (1 Viewer)

Tommm

Hey i have to write a 2000 word essay on different productions of Lear and i chose to do Peter Brooks 1962 absurdist/existentialist production as one of them. Does anyone have any notes on themes and ideas in it????

Tommm

yep everyone who's doing king lear has to write about different interpretations/readings of king lear.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
tom_37 said:
yep everyone who's doing king lear has to write about different interpretations/readings of king lear.
me! ill post my assessment requirements up

Jacks

HSC
well as you should be aware this version of king kear is a very nihilistic one...it conveys the idea that life is insignificant and that living life is meaningless ...nothing good can come of it etc...I suggest that you just search the internet, use google I'm sure there will be plenty there. Try and link the themes you come across to the context in which the film was created...i.e. how do they reflect the values of the time etc.

If you can maybe you should read an essay titled "King Lear or Endgame", written by Jan Kott...this essay influenced Brook's version... ;)

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Look at the ways Brook creates chaos and nothingness through the black and white, the movement of scenes and the removal of characters. Also he demonises the character of Edgar, through making the killing of his brother at the end more ruthless.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You could also view Brook's version in a feminist fashion as several of the scenes are shown more from the elder sister's viewpoint and also Gonnerill's final madness and suicide seems more a reflection of Lear's more "noble" madness suggesting a humanity in Gonerrill. Also Cordelia's input in this version is reduced so that there is less of a contrast between thee 3 sister's which suggests a neutrality in all of them as well as their treatment of Lear.
Sorry that's all I remember at the moment :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)