King Lear practise essays (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
answer it for what it is?!

you have to study the original play. you can't just focus on two productions.

it's a critical response, first and foremost you need to know the play. the productions are on TOP of this to say "hey but this is how the original can be interpreted nd dramatised in different ways"

plus, dramatic technique and dramatic structure is emphasising productions - so just do what you'd normally do in an essay but with a slightly more emphasis on productions......

thats a bit of a confusing q though because the first line says "structure and style" which i would have read as textual structure and style of the play
second line says "dramatic"

meh. but yeah. you just use what you know. and adjust that to the question. dont get scared of the Q - 90% of what you know can generally be used, just twist it around.

JulzMighty

HSC
To what extent has your personal response to The Tragedy of King Lear been shaped by the enduring power of Shakespeare’s characterisation of King Lear?

Support your evaluation with a close analysis of TWO key extracts from King Lear.
-- 2006 HSC

what kind of a question is that!? i would get absolutely no marks for anything regarding how things shaped my "personal response to The Tragedy of King Lear".

isn't this heavily biased towards the special few who actually have positive personal responses? (nothing against you; you can like whatever you want)

i'd love to see how other people approached this question.

and no one say "answer it for what it is?!" coz if i do that i would risk hurting the feelings of a marker who thinks the play is worth much more than its weight in paper (which you may have noticed, i don't).

i just want to see how people who are loads better at english than i am would handle it (or did handle it if they did the 2006 paper).

julz

salco

wooop!
HSC
i did the 06 paper... it was pretty good

.. for the personal response bit you just hav to add into your thesis

the last bit of my conclusion was...
"The enduring power of King Lear, through Shakespeare's skilful characterisation, has had great influence on my connection and personal response to The Tragedy of King Lear. This tragedy is, to me, a painful narrative of humanity; Lear embodies humankind in all their fragility. The enduring power and intense complexity of Lear's characterisation has deepend the extent of empathy i have for his character; my connection with the text and its themes."
... i'm one of those people that go on a bit :p ... but it got top marks ...

basically just include 'characterisation', 'enduring power' and 'i' in there as much as you can lol

.... that doesn't help much does it? lol sorry :p

Hallatia

HSC
I actually liked the 2006 hsc Lear question, I thouht it was a really good one and I did a really good practice essay iin response to it

I really liked the question until the stupid teachers at my school gave us the dumbest possible question for our trials with the words enduring nature in it again, I cannot remember the exact question but it made no sense and would not be worth sharing lol

mufti

HSC
Ditzy said:
"Despite differing responses to texts over time, ultimately the structure and style of a text is significant in evaluating its success"

Discuss this statement, evaluating the dramatic structure and dramatic technique of King Lear

how would you attack this question ??
I'm with Ditzy, how would you answer that?
What are they asking for when they say "evaluating its success"?

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
Re: All the questions i have...

ujuphleg said:
Question 4 — William Shakespeare, King Lear (20 marks)

You are the director of a new production of King Lear. Write a director’s proposal
outlining your plan for the production and how it would appeal to the values of a modern
audience.
In your proposal refer in detail to ONE or TWO of the opening scenes from the play and
how these scenes would impact on the play as a whole.
How would you answer this question...like what text type would you use for this? And how would you go about with its structure?

mufti

HSC
Basically, I think you write them as if you were directing the production and describe exactly how you would stage it with lighting, costuming etc.
and just relate that back to the question.
I guess you would structure it chronologically? Like Scene 1 opens with blah blah, then so and so does this etc.

Although Im not really sure, I tried looking it up but there wasn't anything very helpful. Anyone else know?!

spangacrab

HSC
Fucken hell King Lear is hard. Easily the hardest English Adv. Topic. **obviously excludes anything in extension classes**

Ditzy

HSC
spangacrab said:
Fucken hell King Lear is hard. Easily the hardest English Adv. Topic. **obviously excludes anything in extension classes**
im doing english extension 1 and i still find king lear to be a harder text ><

good luck for exams tomorrow !!

morganforrest

HSC
'The subplot, rather than simplifying King Lear, complicates it' To what extent does this reflect your understanding of the purposes of the sub-plot in King Lear'
Nowra Anglican College 2006 Trial said:
Select a significant scene from The Tragedy of King Lear
Evaluate the impact that your critical study has had on your response to this scene and how the construction language and content of this scene contribute to the textual integrity of the play.
Nowra Anglican College Trial said:
A particular emphasis on the roles of Lear's daughters has been a feature of a number of modern productions of King Lear.

How valid are such interpretations?
Nowra Anglican College 2005 Trial said:
You have been asked to contribute an article to a publication called: Student Think Tank that will be made available for future HSC Students.

The focus of the publication is to illustrate how, after researching others' perspectives and ideas on the set text, students have developed their own understanding and interpretation.

Write the article. In your article justify your understanding and interpretation of King Lear through close analysis of the text and reference to any critical material or production of the play that has influenced you.
Hope that helps you guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)