King Lear - Readings. Help! (1 Viewer)

wintering

HSC
in the hsc essay, how many 'readings' do you have to look at? if my personal interpretation has been shaped by both a nihilistic and familial perspective, can i talk about both?

also, i've been hearing 'compare and contrast' a lot, but if my personal interpretation is in support of both these perspectives (i.e. they are not necessarily conflicting) do i have to do this?

also, how do themes like "from order to chaos" and "human love" fit in with the readings? :s

ps. sorry if these questions are stupid

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Two is probably enough. As long as you know what you're talking about regarding both and your opinions are well formulated.

You should be able to talk about your readings as opposites (if necessary) to show or emphasize differences. They may be small. Or perhaps you could even say that there is no contrast, but you will still be able to compare.

From a familial perspective, human love fits with this reading as it represents the true nature of family bonds/ties and the natural love that occurs between family members. Human love is what's natural and fitting in a family relationship. As for order to chaos, a family is meant to function appropriately and accordingly to their bonds, and the change to chaos represents the destruction and removal of this normality.

Sorry if that doesn't help, as i'm not doing the same readings or themes as you. I tried :eek: I'm not 100% sure of the order to chaos theme regarding a familial perspective.

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
wintering said:
that does help, thank you :)

... is it okay to do just one?
Well... it's probably safer two study two, as there could be a question asking you to refer to different interpretations of the play - and you could give a better formulated answer if you had two. It could earn you better marks for showing the examiner that you know of more than one perspective and you'd surely have more to write about and fill up an essay.

However, in the actual exam you may only need to write about one but my point lies in the fact that it would be a safer option (and a better prepared one) to have two.

If that makes sense :eek:

wintering

HSC
okay, gotcha.

one more (important) question... since the focus is on 'your personal interpretation', is this one essay where we're allowed to use first person? ie. "my personal interpretation has been shaped by..." because i've seen it done in past high-range example responses. thanks

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
It depends how they want you to respond to the question. If they say they want a speech or a personal debate, journal entry, radio interview, letter or feature article then you'd most likely write in first person.

It's difficult to say whether you're able to write in first person just because it's "your interpretation" only due of the essay format. Essays are not generally written in first person, however it is up to the question and how you interpret it and wish to respond accordingly.

If a reading has shaped your interpretation, and is only part of the essay (or at least you wish to include your intrepretation) then you cannot obviously switch person during the essay (following suit to the format).

Just be careful with what the question is solely asking and then you can respond accordingly with which person to write in.

Good Luck, Xx.

Smokee

HSC
Far out I am so confused.
Our teacher taught us NOTHING on King Lear.
We literally sat and read through the book whilst watching the Richard Eyre version of King Lear.
No wonder we all failed the exam.

Would someone be able to some up what is expected?
Like how the different readings/productions fit into it...
I have no idea.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Smokee said:
We literally sat and read through the book whilst watching the Richard Eyre version of King Lear.

I have no idea.
Your readings and productions analysis is meant to provide evidence for the point you are attempting to argue or demonstrate in an exam question.

You provide this evidence to support your essay. You illustrate your understanding of the question and your readings/productions by weaving it all together.

Possible questions about intergrating this knowledge include:
- How might different productions dramatise the struggle between chaos and order in King Lear?

- "Texts have the power to move and challenge us." ~ Compose a speech for an audience of senior students that argues how this is evident in The Tragedy of King Lear.

- "The varying ways audiences or readers responded to King Lear reveals a great deal about the complexity of this work" ~ Discuss this in relation to at least two different productions that you have seen or read about.

- To what extent has your personal response to King Lear being shaped by the enduring power of Shakespeare's characterisation of King Lear? ~ Support your evaluation by using two key extracts from King Lear.

- "Every new reading of King Lear implies a reconsideration of the ways audiences value the play and respond to it" ~ Discuss this view with reference to TWO scenes from the play and how these scenes impact on the play as a whole.

Try writing essays from these questions to build you ability to intergrete productions/readings as evidence into your answer.

Last edited:

vmoore

HSC
wintering said:
okay, gotcha.

one more (important) question... since the focus is on 'your personal interpretation', is this one essay where we're allowed to use first person? ie. "my personal interpretation has been shaped by..." because i've seen it done in past high-range example responses. thanks
YES! use first person (in any question or any form - essay). sylabus requires your interpritation so make it out as its yours.

N

Nicola1616

Smokee said:

I have no idea.
I can help you if you like but it's a big job for you I guess if you're feeling so lost. Email me if you like or send me a private message. Maybe you could send me something you've written to see where the problem is - jstanghe@bigpond.net.au
I'll leave it with you

Appleseed

HSC
wintering said:
okay, gotcha.

Using first person language is what they do want to see, because it is about how 'YOUR' personal interpretation has been shaped. It doesn't matter what the text type is always use first person in King Lear responses.

kangms

HSC
All King Lear is about is CONTEXT. How CONTEXT shaped understanding of the composers. E.g. Richard Eyre's context of 1990's family breakdowns has led to his understanding of King Lear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)