Knocking off Ruse (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Re: Knocking off to Ruse

One of my students transferred to Ruse after a few years at Girra, and then transferred out of Ruse as quickly as she could, because she was so disgusted by the hyper-competitive environment. I am reminded of a story from my own school days, when back in 2002 as year 12 students, our boys volleyball team went up against a bigger, stronger, faster Ruse team. By all rights, Ruse should have slaughtered Girra - but the final score showed the opposite. While Ruse were stronger, they couldn't work together for crap and they did as much fighting among themselves as they did against the Girra team. So even though Girra's team weren't as big, fast or as well trained, our team slaughtered the Ruse team.

Ruse may be known for its academic brilliance, but when you put a Ruse student into an environment where they have to work as a team, they can't do it. That's where schools like Girra have it all over Ruse, and I think potential students should consider things like this as well as the academic reputation of the school.

Bookie

Banned
HSC

phanatical said:
One of my students transferred to Ruse after a few years at Girra, and then transferred out of Ruse as quickly as she could, because she was so disgusted by the hyper-competitive environment. I am reminded of a story from my own school days, when back in 2002 as year 12 students, our boys volleyball team went up against a bigger, stronger, faster Ruse team. By all rights, Ruse should have slaughtered Girra - but the final score showed the opposite. While Ruse were stronger, they couldn't work together for crap and they did as much fighting among themselves as they did against the Girra team. So even though Girra's team weren't as big, fast or as well trained, our team slaughtered the Ruse team.

Ruse may be known for its academic brilliance, but when you put a Ruse student into an environment where they have to work as a team, they can't do it. That's where schools like Girra have it all over Ruse, and I think potential students should consider things like this as well as the academic reputation of the school.
ands thats why Ruse = LOSE.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

Are you saying that James Ruse doesn't work as a team?

You are right. There's other things besides academic success to consider when choosing a school.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Then why don't these schools with 'awesum teamwork' form a strong accademic team to snap ruse in the hsc? study together and work your arses off! come on you're a team :rolleyes:

A l

HSC
N/A

Just in - the median UAI for James Ruse Agricultural High School last year was 99.25. This was a drop from the previous year's median UAI (2004: 99.5). Further statistics will be posted when available.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

A l said:
Just in - the median UAI for James Ruse Agricultural High School last year was 99.25. This was a drop from the previous year's median UAI (2004: 99.5). Further statistics will be posted when available.
Thanks. Last year's statistics?

milton

HSC

its the 10th year in a row that JR has topped the HSC. In fact the 2004 year was the best ever and probably will be with a median UAI of 99.55 and 7/8 100 UAIs i think. In 2005 it fell slightly to a median of 99.25 and 5 100 UAIs.

Still, we're so far ahead of our nearest rival that i doubt we can be beaten in the foreseeable future. Last year, we had at least one student represented in every international olympiad, a first for any school.

and yes, it is a pretty competitive environment, not many people like to broadcast their hard-worked notes and essays, but that's only for in-school assessments. For school assessments we're competing against each other, but in the HSC we're competing with each other i.e. we work as a team and thats how we achieve the insane scaling with our marks.

choccie monster

HSC

Bookie said:
Also, Ruse only takes those who apply to go there in 11 and 12, not the best. The guys who left for Ruse in my grade werent that special really, and would have ranked around 90th - 100th at High (agreed fellow Highboys?), and not necessarily near the top.
what you're forgetting is that students go to Ruse in yrs 8, 9 and 10 as well, before the senior years. the "guys who left for Ruse" in your grade, they weren't at the very top of Ruse, now were they? for the sake of argument, assuming they were at the bottom of Ruse, or indeed the middle, that would explain a previous theory, (i cant remember who posted it), that the middle bracket at JR is equivalent to a top bracket at another school. there's no evidence to support that notion, and its probably just a product of your imagination anyway.

phanatical, your volleyball story proved to me one thing and one thing only - that Ruse lost a game of volleyball. and possibly, it was because of a lack of teamwork. so what? that happens everywhere. dont tell me everyone at your school is best friends with everyone else and can work together extremely well. Ruse is still a normal school in many respects - its not like everyone gets along with everyone else.

funnybunny said:
"Like they are so competitive that they don't bother helping each other in case the other person gets better than them etc"
do u actually know that as a fact or is that something stereotypical u've made up? i know a lot of ruse students and trust me, most of em do help each other out academically....i dont mean just some help here and there... i mean ALOT of help...like when there's no teacher around, since most of em go tutoring and have learnt everything already, they help those ppl who havent and have trouble in some areas... The know that if the go well as a group, in the end they'll get better marks individually
"Ruse may be known for its academic brilliance, but when you put a Ruse student into an environment where they have to work as a team, they can't do it."
u cant exactly say that just cause of 1 event..
seriously...next time u post stuff on ruse, don't post stereotypical things most ppl say about them.
dually noted. i agree with the vast majority of what you have said, though many of us do fine without tutoring (though it is common). im sure many of us appreciate your lack of bias =)

as milton said, for school assessments where we compete with each other, there is a lot of rivalry, but we still do share notes and all. and come school cert or HSC time, there is little need to hinder each other, as it will only reflect badly on the school, and ultimately ourselves when entering uni or looking for a job.

and finally, for those of you who want to knock Ruse off the top, well theres no way i could stop you from trying, but maybe it would help if you focused your energy more on your HSC rather than your jealousy, and maybe spending a bit less time complaining would help.:wave:

Last edited:
HSC

I think I can safely say that Burwood Girls will be knocking James Ruse from number 1 this year.

Feiyt

HSC

Feel free to try and knock us off all you want. What you people are forgetting is that it's your individual achievements that count- not your school as a bulk.

The attitude of some people in this thread is honestly shocking- stop treating our school of 900 students as though we are one body of non-stop studying students that have no social life, no emotions or conscience.

Think about it. Is there even a particular reason why you dislike James Ruse so much? List some reasons for me, if you'd like. To dislike us so much, surely you must have some overwhelming reason, correct?

Generalisation will get you no where- I don't hear anyone bitching about SBHS. I honestly wonder- if it wasn't James Ruse but some other school such as Hornsby Girls that was first for 10 years, would you exert your prejudice upon them too?

Oh, and if you were going to say ' shut up you're in year 10'- go for it if it makes you happy. I honestly couldn't care less.

=)

A l

HSC
N/A

You just had to revive an almost 6 month old thread for the sake of letting that out.....

Last edited:

phrred

HSC

most of their alumni dont seem to get that far compared to schools like sydney grammar

maybe coz u cant wrote learn things your whole life

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A

phrred said:
most of their alumni dont seem to get that far compared to schools like sydney grammar

maybe coz u cant wrote learn things your whole life
It's a good thing that you can rote learn some things in life though. Does it really matter how people from other schools do in comparison to people from your school? It doesn't affect you.

If rote learning actually works in the HSC then there would be a whole lot more people getting good raw scores in exams than there currently are. So I think it would be foolish to draw parallels between HSC results and rote learning.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC

yea except that you cant really rote learn at university
you dont get spoonfed as often as you did in high school, so students have to get use to the fact that you have to start learning by yourself instead of regurgitate out of the textbook

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A

My comment about "rote learning" was clearly a jibe at the person I was quoting. God damn, it's people like you who give asians a bad name. I mean you couldn't even understand the obvious intention of my previous post. As a side note, I did many questions, read lecture notes and obtained scores in the 90s at uni. So hard work can pay off. By the way, no one actually tries to memorise questions from a textbook or quotes (ie. rote learn). The reason people do well is because they familiarise themselves with the course content, not because they "rote learn." Some people can't seem to make that distinction.

A l

HSC
N/A

Since this thread has been revived, I might as well join in....lol
Here are some statistics from last year's HSC:
HSC 2005:
- Median UAI: 99.25
- 5 students scored a UAI of 100.00
- 760 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- 81 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- Students in 1st place in Agriculture (achieved by a Year 11 student), English (Advanced) and Comparative Literature Distinction Course
- Percentage of Distinguished Achievers in main subjects (i.e. the percentage of the whole grade in the school who took that subject and scored band 6 or band E4):
* Agriculture: 43%
* Ancient History: 30%
* Biology: 88%
* Chemistry: 68%
* Economics: 44 %
* English (Advanced): 65%
* English Extension 1: 78%
* English Extension 2: 52%
* French Continuers: 67%
* Geography: 81%
* Information Process and Technology: 63%
* Japanese Beginners: 100%
* Japanese Continuers: 56%
* Japanese Extension: 63%
* Mathematics: 83%
* Mathematics Extension 1: 85%
* Mathematics Extension 2: 76%
* Modern History: 43%
* PD/H/PE: 50%
* Physics: 61%
* Visual Arts: 43%

ImSoHot

HSC

Nerrrrrrrds!

To be honest I don't want to "knock off" Ruse from their perch. I like it when there's a nerdier school to laugh at. Haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)