Kubla Khan (1 Viewer)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
has anyone been able to interpret kubla khan by coleridge successfully? i'm having a fair bit of trouble. thanks

jessum

HSC
our english teacher told us it was about sex and orgasms. yup. using sexual imagery to convey meaning about ummmm i cant remember. oh the creative process. stuff like "the earth in fast thick pants were breathing" and " wailing for her demon lover" was what my teacher used to back up her argument...i think theyre quotes. cant quite remember. it was a whole 6 weeks ago.
but dont take any notice of that... i didnt use that argument in my essays... kinda creeped me out
my schools weird like that

Last edited:

tanjap

HSC
gday
i have done nothing else but TRY to analyse this poem by coleridge..man i found a shitload of notes on the net..and realised that i didn get them..or that i disagreed with them..so my main ideas and thought about this are...
- MAJOR CONCEPT = relisation that the creation of perfection is impossible
-creating perfection is impossbile
-kubla khan tried to create 'walls' to keep the beauty defined and sacred, however it is still very vulnerbale as the walls are firstly made of ice...n the sun is out...so the ice would melt...this shows vulnerabilty of the pleasure dome
-kubla khan is an imaginative journey examining ideas of creation
-RIVER is a very symbolic part of kubla khan. it is an important metaphor for life's journey's
*begins with power, huge spurts (aka ejaculation...or birth..depending if u want the whole sexual thing in ur analysis)
* when the river is meandering - mid life..things are going ok
* sunless sea - death (symbolic)
* thus this presents a journey throughout the river as well as the entire poem.

hope thats helpd
there is heaps of notes on the net tho...
cya

S

Shuter

tanjap said:
gday
i have done nothing else but TRY to analyse this poem by coleridge..man i found a shitload of notes on the net..and realised that i didn get them..or that i disagreed with them..so my main ideas and thought about this are...
-kubla khan tried to create 'walls' to keep the beauty defined and sacred, however it is still very vulnerbale as the walls are firstly made of ice...n the sun is out...so the ice would melt...this shows vulnerabilty of the pleasure dome
-RIVER is a very symbolic part of kubla khan. it is an important metaphor for life's journey's
*begins with power, huge spurts (aka ejaculation...or birth..depending if u want the whole sexual thing in ur analysis)

hope thats helpd
cya

While probably a better anaylsis, don't do it. Just stick to what they want to hear which is - it is an extended metaphor for the creative process, showing how beautiful the mind can be, and how it can also go into a mental block where you can no longer create.

Numero Uno

HSC
tanjap said:
gday

hope thats helpd
cya
Wow thanks for that !
i thought only stoners can understand coleridges Kubla Khan :)
its very abstract to me ...

cimbom

HSC
Awful poem... lime tree bower + rime of the ancient mariner are the best.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
jessum said:
our english teacher told us it was about sex and orgasms. yup. using sexual imagery to convey meaning about ummmm i cant remember. oh the creative process. stuff like "the earth in fast thick pants were breathing" and " wailing for her demon lover" was what my teacher used to back up her argument...i think theyre quotes. cant quite remember. it was a whole 6 weeks ago.
but dont take any notice of that... i didnt use that argument in my essays... kinda creeped me out
my schools weird like that
Ha, you must have had Ms. Fake Tits too, jessum haha. You must have been in my class.
I used the idea of sexual imagery as a starting point for my argument that it explores the relationship between the phys. and the imag. realms. I said that the sexual imagery both creates interest, and allows audiences to track the journey--from beginning to subsequent interuption--in the text.
Good Luck!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Also, just to clarify, the phys. and imag are linked because it is a poem about creative synthesis...it is about poetic creation, and how such (imag.) creation relies on a range of physical stimuli, including interuptions

pungpui

HSC
As part of human instinct, anything we find awful, terrible, we try and stop, like a child putting a band aid on a wound, like US stopping terrorism...

The above ground, 'twice five hundred miles of fertile ground', our conscious world, controllable.

The below ground, 'a savage place!', our subconscious world, uncontrollable.

Khans pleasure dome acts as a way to prevent the subconscious (a savage place) from prevailing...its built to block it out.

pungpui

HSC
If you take the fact that above ground is conscious, below ground is subconscious, then the pleasure dome acts as a link between the 2 worlds (structurally above and below ground).

Thus links both worlds together. Just like a dream, where things from the conscious affect the subconscious, and vice versa (eg Dorothy in Wizard of Oz and her 3 friend characters are on both worlds).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)