Lab+Tut for Subject Before Lecture: Bad Decision? (1 Viewer)

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
For my timetable next semester, I have been able to come up with a few possibilities. At the moment, it seems that I will have to make the following decision:

1) have a 9:00AM lab (yuck), and another lab later that day.

or

2) have my lab just before my first lecture of the week for that subject.

With COMP1511, I can handle the Monday labs with no problem, because I have enough experience with programming to complete lab tasks before the first lecture. However, I assume the next semester won't be as easy. I am wondering if it's particularly unwise to place my lab before both the lectures.

Also, are 5-hour blocks containing a lab shit, or fine?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think 5 hour block is unwise-your mind turns off after a few hours. I currently have 4 hour blocks for 2 law lectures in succession, and even with such intense focus required, I am already at the edge by the time my class finished at 1pm. However, it might be you don't need to think/type all the time as I do in law in your lectures/labs, so if they are not super intense 5 hours is doable, but you will just find it hard to concentrate for that long...

sida1049

HSC
Neither choice is particularly bad. In fact, I would have personally gone with the 9am lab because I prefer getting things out of the way in the morning, but that might not be your preference.

Putting lab/tut right before the relevant lecture isn't a bad thing at all; it means that you can come into that lecture with the content from the previous week fresh in your mind, so it makes comprehending the current lecture easier. If you're not a morning person, then definitely go with this.

I don't think 5 straight straight hours of classes is that bad. Especially with a computer lab, because it offers a nice contrast to the other 4 hours of lectures where you're just listening and staring straight ahead, trying to keep up with the content.

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
U sure the lab starts in week one
Putting lab/tut right before the relevant lecture isn't a bad thing at all; it means that you can come into that lecture with the content from the previous week fresh in your mind, so it makes comprehending the current lecture easier. If you're not a morning person, then definitely go with this.
Ahh are the lab/tuts for the content the week before? That's fine then.

@Queenroot Probably not. I haven't checked but I think it starts week 2.

I think 5 hour block is unwise-your mind turns off after a few hours. I currently have 4 hour blocks for 2 law lectures in succession, and even with such intense focus required, I am already at the edge by the time my class finished at 1pm.
I've currently got a 4 hour block of two maths lectures and so I understand how difficult it can be trying to stay in focus. However, I'm wondering if having 5 hours of computing tuts and labs is as numbing. Like sida1049 said,

Especially with a computer lab, because it offers a nice contrast to the other 4 hours of lectures where you're just listening and staring straight ahead, trying to keep up with the content.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
It's a comp lab who cares or even watches lectures anyway.

Up to you, you'll be fine though doing the monday lab.

sida1049

HSC
Ahh are the lab/tuts for the content the week before? That's fine then.
Yup. I mean your lectures start in week 1 while your tut/lab starts in week 2, so they normally run a week behind. Unless if there's some kind of administration issue, you'll never have tutorials or labs with content ahead of your lecture. (For the vast majority of subjects, your tutorials are on the previous week.)

kabytto

HSC
Shit. But just drink up after no worries (Y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)