Labor vs Liberals. whats the big differences? (2 Viewers)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Ok so I am not great at politics, sometimes the news brings up great issues but usually it just confuses and infuriates me.

I am completely on the fence of which to vote for, many of the big issues matter to me, but the parties have not been clear enough for me to decide what the hell is going on. So I am going to write down the issues that I think are important and someone who loves politics can help summaries the two parties.

Leadership: who is in general a more powerful or charismatic or generally better leader? Howard has done a good job so far, and picking the spokesman of our country is important.

War in Iraq; big one, I support it because I like US: Aus ties to be strong. If labor wants to pull out [do they? I think they do] what do they have planned to strengthen ties instead?

Broadband: labor has a decent plan for this, we need to roll out some high speed shit to keep up with other countries and we need it soon. What is the liberal answer to this?

Immigration: this is a big area that I am totally confused about; the parties seem to be all over the place on this. Generally it’s not a big issue to me I am against any radical changes.

Muslim integration: what’s going on with this? Or does this count as a state issue

Power: I support nuclear power. Labor has yet to convince me that their green alternatives will be effective.

Water: [state?] which party has a more logical stance on water conservation? I don’t want to be limited to a 5min shower every 4 days so we need a good plan right?

Homosexuals: which party seems to be more tolerant of homosexuals? I thought I heard something about labor trying to legalize gay "marriages" or something?

Economy: my impression is the libs seem to have a better long term economic plan. Is there any truth in this? How big would the difference be between the parties?

Free speech: labor wants some sort of firewall put up to stop us looking at things on the net they don’t like right? Totally against that. Libs haven’t put our right to free speech into legislation yet, why not? What’s the deal with sedition laws, why does liberals support these?

Long term climate/ Environmental plan: My impression is labor has a better long term plan for this, is that right? What are the liberals doing instead?

And err include any other issues that you think are very important and try and do a non biased tiny summary on the two parties stances.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Ok so I am not great at politics, sometimes the news brings up great issues but usually it just confuses and infuriates me.
Personally, I'm not good at explaining things nor do I study anything that's got to do with politics so I'll give it a try.

I believe that I'm a centrist and so I swing in political opinions too. First of all, Labor is a centre-left party and are progressive and more interventionist. Liberals are centre right and are generally conservative.

Leadership: who is in general a more powerful or charismatic or generally better leader? Howard has done a good job so far, and picking the spokesman of our country is important.
In my opinion, they can both speak well.

War in Iraq; big one, I support it because I like US: Aus ties to be strong. If labor wants to pull out [do they? I think they do] what do they have planned to strengthen ties instead?
I really don't know. I don't think Labor does want to pull the troops out anytime soon either.

Broadband: labor has a decent plan for this, we need to roll out some high speed shit to keep up with other countries and we need it soon. What is the liberal answer to this?
Don't know.

Immigration: this is a big area that I am totally confused about; the parties seem to be all over the place on this. Generally it’s not a big issue to me I am against any radical changes.
They are all over the place. Usually one side wants integration and assimilation where as the other party wants immigrants to behave and work hard and they won't care about their spoken languages, religion and culture.

Muslim integration: what’s going on with this? Or does this count as a state issue
I don't really know. See above.

Power: I support nuclear power. Labor has yet to convince me that their green alternatives will be effective.
Labor opposes nuclear. They prefer green alternatives and possibly other ways to reduce electricity usage. Liberals would rather have near-future economic prosperity.

Water: [state?] which party has a more logical stance on water conservation? I don’t want to be limited to a 5min shower every 4 days so we need a good plan right?
Labor prefers rainwater tanks.

Homosexuals: which party seems to be more tolerant of homosexuals? I thought I heard something about labor trying to legalize gay "marriages" or something?
I don't think gay marriages will be legalized anytime soon.

Economy: my impression is the libs seem to have a better long term economic plan. Is there any truth in this? How big would the difference be between the parties?
This'll be a loooong story.

Free speech: labor wants some sort of firewall put up to stop us looking at things on the net they don’t like right? Totally against that. Libs haven’t put our right to free speech into legislation yet, why not? What’s the deal with sedition laws, why does liberals support these?
I don't know what firewalls have to do with free speech. I thought that the firewall that Labor wanted was for schools and libraries to prevent kids from looking up naughty things. Haven't heard from Libs.

And err include any other issues that you think are very important and try and do a non biased tiny summary on the two parties stances.
-healthcare?
-education?
-skills shortages?
-income distribution?
-foreign debt?

I hope that helps. If you have questions, you may PM me.

T_M_K

HSC
In terms of the economy, the parties are progressively becoming alike. Mainly cause Rudd's from the far-right wing of the labor party. There's no escaping conservative policies from either party. The big difference between the major parties is in your mind. you could beleive that investing- in- the-future garbage that sprays from costello's mouth or the 'fresh thinking' sales pitch from rudd's.

if you had a social conscience you wouldnt vote liberal
If you had a sense of economic prudency labor wouldnt be it.

Democrats have the best balance of social and economic objectives, in relation to the major parties, probably because they have no political agenda because they wont come anywhere near government.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Iraq: While the ALP hasn't formally announced anything, you cna rest assured that under an ALP government, troops won't be in Iraq for a lengthy period of time. While Rudd may support it, essentially everyone else in the ALP (bar a few maniacs of course) doesn't support it. Seeing as any ALP leader doesn't have the same control over their party that the coalition leader does, it's almost a guarantee that they'll be out of there in a while.

Water: The ALP has so far offered a few flimsy conferences and talks. The coalition offered a knee-jerk, completely pigheaded "Murray-Darling" plan that is a quick facade fix on doing nothing in regards to this business for over a decade in power. Everything else is basically in control of the state from what I'm aware.

Economy: Despite what the glory hole of liberal douchebagism, frog12896, would have you believe, the ALP won't really destroy the economy in any way, shape or form. The "economy" (a term seemingly used the public who know not what they're talking about) is currently based entirely off a resources boom, and until China doesn't want any more resources any government can walk in there and mosy around, and it'll be all clear sailing. On that note though, Rudd has previously mentioned that he wants to transform Australia into a manufacturing country, over a giant hole in the ground. At this stage, it's just an idea but it's certainly better than Howards empty rhetoric concerning the "economy"

The ALP recently announced their policy (not sure if it was an official release) regarding homosexual marriage/rights, which basically says that while they won't legalise civil unions or marriage for homosexuals, they will enable them to have absolutely equal rights in every other area of their lives. The coalition is the polar opposite.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
hmm yes manufacturing country reminds me of the 1920s *reminisces*

im pretty sure howard said something about poofs having equal rights cant really remember (dont really care either tho)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
For me, the key difference is on Australian identity.

Labor has always pushed for an independent Australia, acting on its own accord and in its own interests. They see Australia as distinct from the source cultures of UK/USA. They see Australia's defence and engagement in the region, in accordance with global governance, as the key to foreign policy. They see the world for what it is; full of losers which humanity can and should help. They're the party of nation building. They are always hated by those in power - always opposed. They're the underdogs who can only win when exemplary. They're the party of ideals, the party of hope, compassion and the people.

The Liberal party have never really believed in Australia. They were never aggressively Australian. Their foreign policy has always shown no faith in this land or its people to truly advance Australia. Their idea of Australia and Australians does not exist. Our past and present cannot be distinguished from that of our powerful Anglo allies. They have it easy because they are born into powerful networks which act as cupid to their aristocratic expectations. They fight to protect a past and present which favours them and their children. They are petty men who are both humiliated slaves and cruel masters. They are the party of hate and greed, of lies and mediocrity.

But enough of that.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
What about the environment, workers' rights, education?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
NicholasTribbia said:
Remember there are other parties out there, *cough* Greens *cough* Democrats *cough*
They're not likely to be forming government at the next election, though.

cl3nta

HSC
sure we can look at each policy but you should also look at what will really affect you. I don't think pulling the troops out will have any effect on us hsc students. However, uni costs next year might. So when I come to vote, that will be a major consideration for me - vote for the party that produces the cheapest fees for next year :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cl3nta said:
However, uni costs next year might. So when I come to vote, that will be a major consideration for me - vote for the party that produces the cheapest fees for next year :)
The cost of uni next year will not change, no matter who is in government, because HECS is not an election issue because you're getting a fucking bargain anyway.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
One is run by trade unions

The other is not :)
And the majority of Australians are more suited to being "run" by a trade union, than being "run" by a business council. :eek:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I remember in NUS propaganda the whingers were saying how public education costs in Australia is the second highest in the world; I assume they mean HECS, but doesn't US and the England both have higher costs? I'm rather certain they do... or are they telling the truth?

Either way, I don't know what the fuck they are complaning about <$8 000 for all degrees a year is fucking good. Just crybaby faggots can't get YA.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It's true, <$8000 p/a for a degree is good. I just think it should be no more than, say, $500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)