Lack of confidence (1 Viewer)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I have really wanted to take french begginers and so I applied for it via the open high school and am waiting for a reply. I feel very nervous/anxious about this though because alot of family members are like " you're not french, you don't even know anything about it " , and I have received alot of "its long distance education, you won't have anyone to teach you"etc.

I was extremely confident about taking this subject initially but I am not sure now. I really don't want to do business, as I sincerely cannot even cope with the context of it, I don't care how easy it is. Does french begginers scale better than business (out of curiosity).

My subjects currently are : phs, chem ,bio,sor1, maths extension and advanced english. I want to drop bio for french begginers, but I don't know If I should continue. Is there any hope that I can do well in this subject?

Was anyone in the same position?

All is appreciated :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I have a friend who is doing beginner Japanese and didn't learn a bit of Japanese before year 11.

Of course, French isn't Japanese, but I think the idea is the same (learning a new language is learning a new language). If you put enough effort into it, you can get a great result. The question then becomes, will you be able to dedicate yourself to French enough while keeping up with your other subjects?

Shuuya

HSC
If you really want to do French, don't let others dishearten you! Don't let the typical 'you're not (inserts nationality) why are you studying (inserts language)' dishearten you, because everyone else that does the beginners course isn't French either. I've been studying Japanese since year 8, and I think that it's a really enjoyable experience to study a language.

In terms of scaling, I'm not too sure, but langauges tend to scale high. That being said, if you really hate the sound of business then doing it for scaling won't be such a good idea --- I used to do physics but I hated it, so I dropped it despite the scaling.

If you work hard just like any of your other subjects, there's no reason why you won't be able to do well!

All the best :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
In 2015 French Beginners scaled very very slightly better than Business Studies (probs statistically insignificant lel) looking at the last couple of years they are practically the same scaling wise

IIRC you intend to pick up 4U maths in Yr12 right? So given that you'd be on 12 units with French/Bio/Business it's not like you have much to lose since you would still have sufficient units

In terms of languages, there are a vast amount of resources out there on the internet to learn foreign languages, so while obviously a teacher is the best option, it's not like you're completely screwed lol. Duolingo is a very popular site for learning languages (and is often utilised in combo with memrise.com).

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys :) , it's good to have some reassurance . subject changes closes this Friday. I may have posted this already on another thread, but I am the only one in the entire year doing French, which is kind of worrying . I don't know yet a lot about the workloads ugh long distance education but I will have around 18 free periods , if I take French and with this drop bio so hopefully I will utilise as much time as I can to be well rounded in all my subjects . I would love to here more stories or things people can share about my situation or anyone they know who is doing a begginers course and is doing well ! Thanks again

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I have a friend who is doing beginner Japanese and didn't learn a bit of Japanese before year 11.

Of course, French isn't Japanese, but I think the idea is the same (learning a new language is learning a new language). If you put enough effort into it, you can get a great result. The question then becomes, will you be able to dedicate yourself to French enough while keeping up with your other subjects?
Adding on to this, Japanese is considered a Category 5 difficulty (the highest) for english speakers, and even in that category its considered especially hard. It's estimated it takes about 88 weeks to become professionally proficient in Japanese. In contrast, French is a Category 1 language, and business proficiency can be achieved in 23 weeks (theoretically)
so, like, it ain't all that bad

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Languages don't scale 'high' per se - they are just on par with the general level of scaling. Continues scale ALOT better than beginners so its highly advisable you do that - but seeing as you can't, you will need to smash that French course right in the baguette.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)