Language and Gender (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
who here is doing it?

I'm finding it extremely interesting and i enjoy the texts that are invovled and i has made me currently re-question society.

Lex152

HSC
We are too GHS, compared to Genre study (quest: prelim) I'm finding it really boring and tedious.

We are doing Elizabeth, and all we've done is watch the movie a couple of times.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
thats more then we have done so far, we have been given ORlando and 12h Night,
reasd 12th night. But meh funny but in embrassing manner. And discussed why women are seen as "inferior" basically. But today we dicussed how "denim" is working class man attire.

But all in all its kind of interesting. Were going to look at some texts that suggest men are "inferior" so that will be interesting , i hope, to look at it from another POV.

I really wish we were doing crime fiction or Navigating the Global or After the Bomb. But i like the gender questions from the past they are really straight foward for the creative resposnses.

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
anyone else out there???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lols no just no one is every on this forum cause our schools seem like the only ones doing it. (which is kinda a plus) So hows elizabeth going?

parisa'

HSC
lol don’t get your hopes up, your schools not the only one studying language and gender. MFHS is doing it as well.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yeah another one out there. What texts are they doing?

I'm happier now, now there are 3 at least. When we can we must all speak about this topic.

WHOO 3 schools lets keep it coming.

presprincess

HSC
and i find it very boring and annoying. i wish i was doing crime fiction :(
I currently have an assignment due first week back. It is quite hard.
Do you any of you have any suggestions for related texts ( short story, poem etc.)
please your help would be appreciated

Niek

HSC
yep, my school is doing it too. we've finished elizabeth and now doing orlando... im finding it a bit boring to tell the truth, which sucks because i usually enjoy english :mad1:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
we have only just started discussing 12th night, but i watched elizabeth and analysed it myself. i am really starting to hate this topic. "Don't dicuss gender too much or language but rather the two together and how they work but not expictly" WTF thats what the course is about. I actually enjoyed reading orlando, but i wish we would do work in class, we have an essay and creative piece due week 5 and no-one class has any idea what is meant to be done :S i'm gonna fail this class ughhhhhhh

EDIT: I offically hate orlando now :mad:

Last edited:

Lex152

HSC
What it means to discuss the relationship between gender and language. To discuss language without gender, or gender without language is to deviate from what is wanted.

Gender is the key concept, but without language then the subject isn't English but a form of social studies...

I hope that helps.

The theorists we have been given seems so feminist, I hate it! I'm going to argue for egalitarianism.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
every theorist seems to be feminist, i actually looked at some frued stuff about gender and he says gender is related to a lack of sexual gratification and if a male feels less sexually potent then he feels feminine and vice versa but may still gratify sexual complancy by filling a void with other gender roles. So it kinda opposite but not. At least we didn't have to read Tannen's book as a prescribed text at least (i read it out of curiosity), cause it is just so male bashing in it, her poor ex-husband, he should really sue he for defammation of character and that, not one nice thing said about him in the entire book, poor guy, i don't think he could have been as bad as what she made him out to be really.

Does anyone else actually like the texts, cause personally i love them, they are all good reads/watch.

EDIT: EXCEPT ORLANDO :mad:

Last edited:

Lex152

HSC
Elizabveth was aa little stale for me... good movie, just not my thing

Twelfth Night > As you like it

But floor of heaven is sounding interesing (touch wood)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)