Language and Gender (1 Viewer)

gemgem101

HSC
Hey!
Add another school to your list..
Im also currently studying the dreaded gendered language.
Finished reading and analyzing twelfth night and such.
Just got my copy of the floor of heaven today..
Spending my free searching for notes regarding it and stumbled upon this thread!
You guys reckon you can lend me a hand haha? :)

gemgem101

HSC
Haha it is, but id do extension all day everyday if i could..
Better than *shudders* biology :|

dizzyliz

HSC
well im doing gender and language too but im not sure if that counts cos im from gosford as well :p it was weird seeing your post on there alex - i didnt know you were a member.

anyways, yeah...i like it for the most part, though im finding it a bit hard. we've done elizabeth and 12th night, now we're working on additionals for the upcoming assessment and then we're moving onto floor of heaven. additional suggestions- angela carter works well, as does (certain bits of) heart of darkness. got any good ones?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
bump

come on the gendered few we need to support each other. with only a total of ~120 us in this elective we must band together

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
come on people lets strat discussing the texts more. For my exams i'm most likely going to use Elizabeth and Twelfth Night. But some questions i would use The Floor of Heaven over Twelfth Night because it sometimes fits better.

queline

HSC
you sure 'bump' alot. try a sport haha.
no, sorry i didn't find this earlier, i would've added to the scintillating conversation.
I'm doing and rather enjoying gender and language, though at times it makes my brain fizz.
my class started with about 25, now we're down to 10ish haha. we started with reading 12th Night, which i didn't mind, as far as Shakespeare goes. the patriarchal thing got a bit heavy for me, but i guess thats just reflecting the context of the play.
last term we analysed Elizabeth, which was ok, but again, nothing spectacular. I enjoyed it more when i wasn't having to critique it.
right now we're doing Orlando, which i'm struggling with, mainly because i haven't exactly finished reading it... i'll try the movie.
do you guys need suplementaries as well? i'm struggling to find any decent ones, i'd love suggestions. i've found analysing gender and language through a guy called Wardhaugh goes down well. he seems credible and makes great points.

perhaps this will get the ball rolling....

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
never heard of him. got any links for us to have a look at. Yeah orlando is a bitch, we abandoned it and went for the floor of heaven, much better.

ORM is easy to find so much can be analysed for it, try ads and songs. Look at Pink at lot of her stuff can be used effectively.

queline

HSC
Okay... sorry got sidetracked with the Trials. Bblergh.
Um... he's Rodney Wardhaugh, wrote "An Introduction to Sociolinguistics", 2006, with particular attention to be paid to the chapter re: Gender. Sorry i don't have a link, it was given to us in class. He's pretty well equivalent to Tannen though...
I'm not a Pink person, but i guess that's irrelevant in this subject. Actually today in class i found a sheet of suggestions, here's some:
Films - Thelma and Louise
Victor, Victoria
The Crying Game
Tootsie
Billy Elliot

TV- Men Behaving Badly
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty
The Odd Couple

Short Stories - Cinderella
Snow White (or most fairy tales)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
The Alter of the Family by Michael Wilding
The Bloodling by Peter Goldsworthy
As Boys to Wanton Flies by Michael Wilding
Swingers and Squares by J. California Cooper.

So, obviously i haven't read a fraction of them, but they were suggested so it could be helpful. Although this all could've been v. useful for the Trials.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
lols thats ok, i still have a week and a day til ,my trials so i'm going to look up his stuff right now. Very useful thanks.

EDIT:
WOW found his stuff straight away. Its bascially like Tannens stuff. I like hos stuff but i means i have to change my entire thesis, which i cbf doing so thanks anyway. I've had my ORM for this subject for a while. Lols its funny our teacher gave us that same list its from a resource book that they could download all about the texts Twelfth Night and Floor of Heaven. hahaha lazy teachers. But your probally does a better job at teaching

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
can anybody please give me anynotes they have done about Elizabeth as a class or anything please I really really need it, please you don't know how much my teacher has fucked our class over. Plase i would really appreciate the notes i really would please help me

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
whos pumped for this exam? Me i'm kaking myself, i'm not going to get above 15 very easily unless it is very very very very very very very very basic

epicmel

HSC
do no schools pick language and values (more specifically textual dynamics)?
i swear there are like 5 schools doing Module C.

hn92

HSC
yeah were doing language and values also.
im soo glad were doing mod c. is alot more interesting. crime fiction and genre all those other electives looked shite.
apparently were doing floor of heaven and elizabeth ? havent really started as yet, am finding it quite interesting...
is floor of heaven any good ? was briefly reading thru gloria the other day, seemed okay ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)