language/visual techniques (1 Viewer)

spitfire

i was jus wonderin if anyone had any sites or links to resources dat had a list of all the visual and language techniques dat we can use or identify and their uses.
please send me a mssg if u do!

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Well I can suggest some things you can use...

For visuals, you can comment on...

1) body language (a downcast head to represent sadness or disappointment for example)

2) contrasts in colour - in more detail, you can comment on symbols, such as black or dark colours representing dark concepts such as sadness and white or bright colours representing joyful ideas.

3) juxtaposition (putting one image/object/concept next to another to convey a point, show contrasts or give a different meaning. Really nice word- markers seem to love it)

4) visual metaphors (like for example, a lack of, or shortening of time could be represented by the numbers on a clock becoming closer/ the movement of two people in different directions could represent differences of opinion/ideals)

For language techniques, you can comment on...

1) Changes in register (the level of speech) eg. colloquial to formal language.

2) Metaphor (comparing one idea to another to give a greater effect)

3) Extended metaphor - it's an analogy basically. For example, throughout a piece of text, an author may keep using a breaking boat to convey the idea of break in society. If you've read Lord of the Flies, the analogy used there was the conch, which represented order in society)

4) Symbols (just like in visuals, a lion could be used to represent bravery)

5) Other imagery such as similes, personification, etc. are also common, but less powerful techniques to mention. Mention em anyway though. :)

6) The perspective of narrative (1st, 2nd, 3rd person- for example, 1st person gives the text a personal touch, making the words more believable)

7) The use of narrative form itself sets up orientation, complication and resolution. Such a technique allows the composer of a text to explore the development of character personality/relationships, etc.

8) The journey. This is a technique used by text composers to show the development of a character from generally INNOCENCE to EXPERIENCE, which should be mentioned when talking about the character journey)

Anyway, I hope this helps you people, especially this singhsta character over here ;). I'm sure there are more, but this is all I can think of right now.

-CHUDYMASTER-

Last edited:

lscholz

HSC
Re: Well I can suggest some things you can use...

hey just to add to your list:

- Imagery (always a lot of imagery description to comment on in especially poetical writings, every author wants to show not tell)
- Assonance/alliterance (the flow in writing is created by these techniques)
- Rhyme (flow)
- Creation of the poem on the page (shape) - also VISUAL technique.
- Similie
- heavy description... show not tell.
- monologues and prologues... incase text is SHakespeare =O
- Puns.. creating several meaning... normally adding humour haha
- SATIRE!! - sarcasm, exaggeration... never forget the humourus techniques if they are present in a text and for a responce you totally ignore them and it is a high mark question,
it is extremely likely you don't support the register of which the text is expressed. Probably
won't end with every good marks for that question. Satire is a good conveyer of messages.
- FORM!!! - like a documentary, song, poem, narrative.

and I like how you added The Journey as a technique. I see where you are coming from there.

mioumiou

HSC

hey just to add to your list:

- Imagery (always a lot of imagery description to comment on in especially poetical writings, every author wants to show not tell)
- Assonance/alliterance (the flow in writing is created by these techniques)
- Rhyme (flow)
- Creation of the poem on the page (shape) - also VISUAL technique.
- Similie
- heavy description... show not tell.
- monologues and prologues... incase text is SHakespeare =O
- Puns.. creating several meaning... normally adding humour haha
- SATIRE!! - sarcasm, exaggeration... never forget the humourus techniques if they are present in a text and for a responce you totally ignore them and it is a high mark question,
it is extremely likely you don't support the register of which the text is expressed. Probably
won't end with every good marks for that question. Satire is a good conveyer of messages.
- FORM!!! - like a documentary, song, poem, narrative.

and I like how you added The Journey as a technique. I see where you are coming from there.
Wow, this thread is pretty old... 2002??
Nevertheless thanks for those extra techniques that listed above!! :)

Kat92

HSC

Wow, this thread is pretty old... 2002??
Nevertheless thanks for those extra techniques that listed above!! :)
There is a whole booklet dedicated to this. As far as I can recall the English Teachers Federation makes it or ARC. You should ask your teacher if you can get a hold of one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)