Languages (1 Viewer)

Bob.

HSC
When majoring in a language such as french or spanish do I have to do units based on the history and culture of the country or can i just completly base it on reading, writing and speaking?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I believe that for a major you have to do some cultural units, although it might vary between different languages and different proficiency streams. You might be able to find the details on the websites of the appropriate departments.

babiisapphire

Tennis Fan
HSC
hey guys im planning on doing a B commerce but wod also like to learn a language, should i combine com with arts and spend that extra 2 years or is it possible to do a language with straight B com? :confused:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
You can do a language within the normal BComm as an additional major. From here:
Students may select additional majors and/or electives offered by the Faculty of Economics and Business (including the Government and International Relations and Political Economy subject areas), or from the Faculties of Arts, Science, Education and Social Work, Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources or from other faculties of the University of Sydney (subject to approval by the Faculty of Economics and Business).

so-nee-a

HSC
ahhhhhhhhi hate spanish! spanish should die!
i think i'm going to change tomorrow

lol but don't take it on my account. im just changing cos i'm not cut out to spend so much time on a unit of work. art history and theory should be rather grand.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I think for all the modern languages you do need to take some cultural units as well. No such issues if you choose an ancient language (e.g. latin, ancient greek) because... well... their cultures don't really exist anymore.

Bob.

HSC
nah not all, im not doing any cultural aspects in french. the cultural parts in spanish are dead easy anyway, its like year 7 history with a multiple choice exam at the end. So-nee how could you hate spanish? its great, and not really all that much work.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
666_blessings said:
I think for all the modern languages you do need to take some cultural units as well. No such issues if you choose an ancient language (e.g. latin, ancient greek) because... well... their cultures don't really exist anymore.
for italian there's a culture component in first semester of beginners.... and for latin there's culture that you learn all throughout but certainly don't get tested on... that's what ancient history is for ehheh and that's a whole other subject

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Yeah, I did Latin (have to do 2 years in a language for my degree and I stupidly picked the hardest one). The readings you have to translate pretty much cover most of the cultural stuff and the lecturer enjoys throwing in the occassional piece of history and trivia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)