Laptop Performance (1 Viewer)

when u get a laptop do u have to give up performance u would get from a desktop? would u be able to see a difference between a 2.26ghz pentium M, 2000mb RAM laptop and a pent 4 3.2ghz, 2000mb desktop. or is performance generally the same. would that laptop be likly to freeze up?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The architecture (i.e. internal workings) of the Pentium M is excellent, and far more efficient than the architecture of the Pentium 4. Thus, Pentium Ms generally perform as well as Pentium 4s running at faster clockspeeds. I would be very surprised if a laptop running at 2.26 Ghz and 2GB of RAM froze up at any time (unless you tried to make it crash). I''ve never had a serious crash yet with my 1.6Ghz, 512 MB RAM laptop. :)

I_F

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
codereder said:
when u get a laptop do u have to give up performance u would get from a desktop?
Generally the slow down you will see is from hard disk performance, meaning longer loading and boot times. The majority of laptop hard disks spin at 4200RPM, whereas desktop standard would pretty much be 7200RPM nowdays. And of course, graphics performance would be just a notch behind desktop standards.

I don't think its a fair question to compare a laptop and desktop and ask whether they perform the same though, they're kind of in different classes.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
sunny said:
The majority of laptop hard disks spin at 4200RPM, whereas desktop standard would pretty much be 7200RPM nowdays.
Ah yes, thats a major downside of laptops :(
And even if you do upgrade to a 7200RPM, you'll eat away at your battery life.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Just on CPU, apart from multimedia encoding, the Pentium M should perform superior to the Pentium 4.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Graphics wise, I'll clarify Sunny: MOST laptops have inferior graphics cards to their desktop equivalents, mostly because of space (literally), heat and cost.

Having said that, I had a Toshiba Satellite with the works once, and that had a better graphics card than my desktop at the time (geforce 4, I believe) so I used to do my uni work on the desktop and play WC3 on the lappy.. that was amusing. :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
From my last look at Pentium Ms, they aren't terribly excellent when it comes to games compared to desktop 'competitors'. If you're using it as a business machine, then sure, the Pentium M 780 (2.26GHz) would definitely stack up well against a Pentium IV.

Graphics-card wise, the best to my knowledge you can get at the moment in a laptop is a 7800GT (available with Alienware systems US), which is subjectively reasonably lower compared to the 512MB GTX.

BTW, M 780s, 2GB laptop RAM, high-end notebook video cards are freakin' expensive, so if you're looking for a gaming laptop on a budget.. well rest assured you can buy a heck of alot more for a desktop. If you're just looking for a notebook as a desktop replacement for non-graphically oriented tasks, then there's definitely good solutions available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)