laptop question (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i just want to have a browse around ebay for prices for a laptop.

i need one which can handle, word, winamp, msn and web browsing at the same time. thats probably the most i would be putting it through.

i also need one that i can use the uni wireless net with, so i need a network card and something like a wireless modem? i think the things that you just plug in to the side.. :confused:

no need for gaming, etc. so basically, a budget laptop.

screensize is not of importance, neither is weight (i am a hunk of a man). battery life would be important to an extent.

so what brand/price/specs should i be looking at?

any other comments or views also appreciated.

thanks.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Most laptops come with network cards installed, if not then you can buy an optional "adapter" kind of thing and plug & play.

How much are you willing to pay?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Most laptops come with network cards installed, if not then you can buy an optional "adapter" kind of thing and plug & play.

How much are you willing to pay?
as less as possible, i dont even know the prices i should be expecting to pay. i will only really pick one up if i see a "bargain". i just want a real basic one, nothing fancy.

i would like to know what exactly to look out for.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
I have a laptop, which I use pretty much for the same purposes you're after.

Its a Compaq Persario. Not the greatest brand, but it does the job.

It has:

Celeron Processor 1.5 Ghz.
256 Ram.
40 Gb Harddrive.
Wireless + 10/100 Network Connectors

If you treat it right, with a Celeron you can get around 3 hours of battery usage.

Something like that can be gotten for about $1000, New. Try places like Dick Smith etc.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
thanks..but i'm preobably after a "better" bargain.

i do appreciate the input though! :)

ReaveR

HSC
You'll be wanting to look at Centrino laptops
Most (if not all..?) come with built in wireless capabilities and longer battery lives.

How about something like a Dell 710m, or a 630m?
The 710m is a 1.73GHz Centrino with 256MB ram (probably want to up this..) and a 60gig hard disk .. absolutely no ability for games, but it is very mobile, even if you're not looking for it. $1800.

Laptop's aren't my strong point but, it's a good start I guess.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
thanks reaver. :)

i'll keep that in consideration.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Any laptop with the "Centrino" logo comes with a wireless adaptor. For about $1200 or so, you'd be looking for Centrino, 1.5Ghz Pentium-M, 256MB RAM (512 MB is much, much better if you can get it - if you can't I reccomend you upgrade as soon as you get the laptop, costs under $100 and it'll be a big boost), 40-60GB hard drive. Those are the most important specs, and it should come with everything else you need - modem, sound, CD burner/DVD player, USB ports, etc.

I_F

ReaveR

HSC
Anywhere from 50-100+ dollars, I'd guess.

It's just a PCMCIA Wireless Network Card.
Your battery will perhaps not last as long if you were to get a second hand laptop.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Get a basic level Centrino laptop.

Two benefits as required by you comes in the box with Centrino:

- long battery life
- inbuilt wireless.

Not to mention they are excellent processors. They are however more expensive, so you can opt for the basic popular model Pentium M 725 Centrino, which is at 1.6GHz. If you don't want that, then just go for a Celeron or Sempron laptop and get a wireless card yourself. But then you won't have as good battery life, however. For what you need, 256MB of RAM is sufficient, but you should definitely consider 512MB. Avoid screensizes outside of the 15" range, as the price increases (i.e 17" is expensive due to it's screensize, 12-14" is also expensive due to the fact that components are squeezed into a smaller chassis.. i.e a 'mobility' notebook).

For a laptop, you can get either a PCMCIA wireless card which retails for as low as $40-$50 new. You can also get a USB dongle which retails for typically around $10-$20 more.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Add more RAM in and it'll become more tolerable. That thing is gonna operate like a slug, but hey.. it's only 400 bucks. If you want to make that lappy wireless, you'll have to go get a PCMCIA wireless card too.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Now that's a good deal (erm, unless it goes up alot higher)..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why bother 'buying' when there are so many bastards at uni with it :p Just knock them out in the library and run!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well if he's gonna take up that advice, I'm just glad he ain't a USYDer. :D

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Now that's a good deal (erm, unless it goes up alot higher)..
yeah. i'm gunna keep a track of it. see how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)