Laptop Recs (1 Viewer)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Well following my please help thread i have concluded that my computer is stuffed :chainsaw:

therefore i will be needing a new laptop

i have had my eye on the ibooks cos they have a stable OS and are easy to use...and look pretty hehe

but ppl keep saying macs are crap

if anyone can give me a reason to buy another computer over a mac...please say!!

i only need for net, my ipod and wordprocessing

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well generally macs do limit your options. Macs only make up 2% of the computers sold so the incentive for people to program for them is limited.

A normal PC will keep your options open.

I dont know why Apples continue to be over rated, they are just another computer...

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
they are rated becuase their OS is stable...unlike friggen windows
i dont see that im ever going to need to do anything that a mac cant....

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Windows is quite stable for me......ive never had a major crash since i got XP.

and remember windows is not PCs exclusive operating system......there are others..

Macs may be stable, but the support and compatibility issues outweigh this for me.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
If you can get used to the interface, you'll be fine. They have their own "interesting" problems like Windows machines, but in general they're fine. Be prepared to get used to a whole new set of apps, each with their own individual quirks.

Compatibility with Windows machines is alright, but occasionally it gets a bit hairy.

I'd probably be using one, but I can't stand the interface, and they make dodgy servers.

Oh, don't hope to be able to play games on the Mac.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
haha sif id wanna play games

the only thing which concerns me is its ability to connect to a simple network at home...as i network my laptop through my dads to connect to the internet....but im pretty sure this would work fine

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
yeah for what you'd need, mac would be fine
youd just have to get used to the non windows interface but once thats doen your fine

gl with the no comp!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I love the mac designs, If they changed to the normal PC format, instead of having their own, i'd switch today........Their big mistake is going alone and having their own format.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Deus said:
I love the mac designs, If they changed to the normal PC format, instead of having their own, i'd switch today........Their big mistake is going alone and having their own format.
but in having their own designs they made the (EDIT:macs) more stable cos the amatuers that know nothing about building computers can't tinker...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well the advantages of a PC for your situation are:
>They will cost less and be more fully featured, fortunately for you centrino models are being cleared so there are some real bargains around.
>Internet Connection Sharing via your dads computer WILL be a nightmare with a mac - it is annoying to say the least with a PC a mac only makes this more so. Whilst PC/mac compatibility has improved it is still not great.
>You will be familiar with the applications and general interface - no learning curve.
>You can use your friends software eg MS office etc.
>A new PC will be running MUCH more advanced hardware than a mac - you will enjoy the associated benefits.
>In general there is greater room for future upgrading of PCs (even notebooks) than macs (though there is a thriving mac modding community)

Advantages of a Mac:
High build quality all around.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
If you're networking, go with XP. Generally, Mac laptops are more expensive than their Windows counterparts even though their build quality, style, and stability is quite excellent (Windows also cannot beat the iLife suite of applications). Plus, Mac laptops feature technology a generation or so behind the XP laptops (there's a reason why Apple is changing from IBM processors to Intel). The support out there for XP is much better than for Macs, and as said networking Macs to PCs is still an absolute nightmare. For your needs, you should probably be able to pick up a decent model from about $1,200 or so, perhaps less depending on what deals are out there. Happy hunting.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
fatmuscle said:
Macs swtiching to Intel chips
that's hasn't been confirmed yet.

Windows needs to be nurtured to stay in good shape. If you not careful you will screw it up.

OSX is much more solid.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
fatmuscle said:
Macs swtiching to Intel chips
thats just a rumour

most likely not true

jm1234567890 said:
Windows needs to be nurtured to stay in good shape. If you not careful you will screw it up.

OSX is much more solid.
yeah thats what i hate. im not one to format my computer every few months....too much effort. you gotta do that for windows to stay in good shape :(

RyBo

HSC
Macs have
-far superior build quality
-superior designs feature
-OS are much much more stable than any windows OS
- far better at graphics and sound than Win

the only disadvantage of macs is the fact that not many people use them compared to windows.

Gaming is superior quality, but there are not many games and not many other mac gamers

Mac laptops especially are more expensive than PC's but are more technoloically advance. A small example, most PC batteries run for 2- 4 hrs, Mac on average run from 6-12 hrs. This is just one advantage.

I would however buy a PC because they are cheap, everone uses them, and when you want to replace in 4 years, it wont cost u too much to replace.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>Internet Connection Sharing via your dads computer WILL be a nightmare with a mac - it is annoying to say the least with a PC a mac only makes this more so. Whilst PC/mac compatibility has improved it is still not great.

It's the same procedure for setting up both.

>A new PC will be running MUCH more advanced hardware than a mac - you will enjoy the associated benefits.

Care to explain "MUCH more advanced hardware"?

>Originally Posted by fatmuscle
>>Macs swtiching to Intel chips
>
>thats just a rumour
>
>most likely not true

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/06/1752234&tid=118&tid=179&tid=3
http://www4.macnn.com/macnn/wwdc/05/

Confirmed today.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
the six to twelve hours thing is a load of crap

ive read tests and on average ibook batteries only last for 3-4 hours maximum

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
addymac said:
um my network at home was pretty much just plug in and turn on....it seemed to do most of it by itself....we just had to click the box "share this internet connection' or watever it was

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
i heard that there will be a new update of ibooks coming out soon

i dont suppose anyone knows when? because i would kick myself if i bought a new laptop when there was anotehr new release just around the corner!!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
twisted_emily said:
i heard that there will be a new update of ibooks coming out soon

i dont suppose anyone knows when? because i would kick myself if i bought a new laptop when there was anotehr new release just around the corner!!
hmm.... you will have to wait for that.

That information doesn't usually get leaked.

is a powerbook too expensive for you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)