Laptops in class? (1 Viewer)

Will you use a laptop in class next year?

• Yes, always

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Some of the time

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
HSC
If you're allowed to use laptops in class in your school (and you have one) -- will you for next year?

I've been using purely paper+ folders, but I was thinking about the benefits of note-taking etc on a laptop.

What do you think, is it worth going over from paper? Or could you alternate between paper and digital, and if so, when and why?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Papers alot better for diagrams and calculations, whereas laptops aer good for solely note writing.

It really depends on your teachers style of teaching.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wish we could. don't think we will, though.

jellybelly59

HSC
Nope not gonna do it... because when you do the hsc trials and externals your going to have to hand write everything... if you've been using a laptop all yr round you'll lose the feel of writing and you'll lag in the examinations.

Beato153

Bored @ Work
HSC
You've got to use pen and paper in your exams so why use a lap top all year and struggle to write in the exams? Practice makes perfect, use a pen and paper and be ready for the hsc exams, large amounts of writing required and the writters cramp will take longer to set in that way.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
I think I will think about it.

I will probably carry my laptop around for Business Studies.

*Baby-K*

HSC
I would recommend taking your laptop into subjects like legal studies or history- subjects with a lot of content. It is better to have a folder and paper for maths, languages etc. However when you do practice essays always do it on paper.

angewah

HSC
laptops in class are ridiculous, they're more like a fashion accessory.
this chick at school carries her pink laptop around with her to classes, and both teachers and students mock her.
and of course it's not exactly helpful when you have to do written exams.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to practice my handwriting. It is both very bad and very slow.

omniscience

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
I have to practice my handwriting. It is both very bad and very slow.
On the other hand, I have to practise my writing in general. It's pretty much scribbled writing and many compliaints were made in regards to my writing in my maths trial exam.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
JSchaefer said:
laptop breakes, all years work gone. Pen and paper will do fine
That's why you back it up on an external storage device.

McSpitfire

Wendell Sailor
The grandstands at OKI Jubilee.. (Actually, Cronul
HSC
Most of the time I use pen and paper, but I bring my laptop to school for times I actually need it. It's mainly for IPT but I have uses for it in English when my teacher dictates notes that are equivalent to 10,000+ pages.

The only problem with it is that my laptop takes quite awhile to start up and that kills some valuable work time... maybe I should get a MacBook and sell this Toshiba.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
McSpitfire said:
Most of the time I use pen and paper, but I bring my laptop to school for times I actually need it. It's mainly for IPT but I have uses for it in English when my teacher dictates notes that are equivalent to 10,000+ pages.

The only problem with it is that my laptop takes quite awhile to start up and that kills some valuable work time... maybe I should get a MacBook and sell this Toshiba.
I use pen and paper aswell and occassionally bring my laptop to school and use it for in class assignments. And when i take it to english i put dictation on and let it type what ever my teacher is saying saves a lot of effort (but don't do this very often cause me and my friends tend to discuss the text among ourselves half the time lols)

HSC
angewah said:
laptops in class are ridiculous, they're more like a fashion accessory.
this chick at school carries her pink laptop around with her to classes, and both teachers and students mock her.
and of course it's not exactly helpful when you have to do written exams.
Doesn't that depend on a. the person and b. the laptop?? That's like saying a dog is a fashion accesory- sometimes they are (I pity the poor handbag- creatures) but most of the time they're a friend/exercise buddy/confidante...

Beato153 said:
You've got to use pen and paper in your exams so why use a lap top all year and struggle to write in the exams? Practice makes perfect, use a pen and paper and be ready for the hsc exams, large amounts of writing required and the writters cramp will take longer to set in that way.
Regarding the writing in exams thing: I'm talking about using laptops more purely in class, you can still write practise essays or write up notes for revision's sake at home (I know I remember better when I've written something by hand..).

What I was considering was using it in school for other reasons than simply notetaking, for example organising notes-- there are some great software eg mindmapping (like Freemind), or flash-card programs like Genius, or just plain organisational tools like digital calendars/planners/homework managers, for example Schoolhouse 2 ... that I think could benefit the whole study experience, if you know what I mean..?

angewah

HSC
well the person is a huge tool first of all, and the laptop is pink, enough said ?
i dont think a laptop could be a friend, exercise buddy or confidante cos that would be just sad o_O"

u-borat

Banned
HSC
eh, i take laptops to class when I feel the need to bos/game/not do work.

Evilo

HSC
I was at a school where laptops were compulsory. I'll just say they're not beneficial to the 'learning experience'. They were kind of useful for geography and 'essay intensive' courses, but otherwise (unless you're very motivated) a complete waste of time and money.

HSC
Hmm. I thought a lot of people were using laptops. I'll reconsider.

Good to hear from people who are speaking from experience, always.dreaming and Evilo ;)

angewah said:
well the person is a huge tool first of all, and the laptop is pink, enough said ?
i dont think a laptop could be a friend, exercise buddy or confidante cos that would be just sad o_O
Oh, my laptop is an exercise buddy. I strap it to my chest when I go jogging and it talks to me. :hammer:

---hehe, seriously, meant as a metaphor. I hope you were sarcastic. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)