Laptops (1 Viewer)

psycho_mushy

HSC
hey braindrained...

tablet's are good.. but they're not worth it for just studying purposes...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by psycho_mushy
why do u want a mac when uni's more or less have like 80-90% filled with windows?

she'll probably want windows anyway if she's been using it most of the time
Look, I thought you'd know better but it seems you don't. Mac and Windows are - get this - fully compatible. There are just about NO problems connecting a Mac to a Windows network. Macs can read and create Windows file types (with the right programs obviously) and in fact function better than windows computers. Ask Huy, if he can be bothered.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Ask Huy, if he can be bothered.
No, I can't (not to psycho_mushy, it's nothing personal :p).

But I'm just going to say this:

1. 90% of the worlds computers run Windows, but that doesn't mean you can't own a Mac (or use Linux, or an alternative OS).

2. Universities will be using Windows predominantly, but there would be Mac labs, if I'm not mistaken.

3. If you have been a long time Windows user, and have been frustrated by Windows, you would probably want to open your mind and try something else, which may prove to be reliable and 'suited' for your own personal needs/tastes. braindrained is a Windows user, because she has grown up with it, and prefers it. Others may not be in the same boat, however most use Windows because they cannot afford a Mac, or would rather use 'what the majority use'.

4. Mac and Windows are, as Lexicographer has said, 100% compatible. Microsoft Office v.X is designed for the Mac, and it is Microsoft who have their own Mac division, designed for (you guessed it), Mac software.

PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and so on are all compatible on the Mac. You can save files, create files, edit files, etc on both platforms and they will work interchangeably between each system (PC/Mac).

5. Panther (OS X 10.3) is able to connect to Windows Networks. Earlier editions of OS X are also able to share files and folders, even printers, over a hybrid LAN (Windows and Mac machines).

As Lexicographer has rightly said, there are just about no problems with connecting both Mac and Windows machines onto a university network, or any network. If you have ever used (or connected) a Mac machine to a network, you will find that it is much easier, in my opinion, than even Windows XP.

My preference is the Mac, but I own many Windows machines. In future, I hope to purchase my own Mac (12" or 15" PowerBook G4).

I know a lot more about Windows networks and systems, however this does not mean that I "like" Windows machines. I would be using a Mac, if given the choice, however I'm always troubleshooting with Windows, catering for the 90% of users (or more) on PCs.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The price barrier is an annoyingly prohibitive one, but I believe that the expence is worth the benefits gained by purchasing Mac. If anyone is curious and rich, go to the Apple Store somewhere and ask them to let you try one out. Really, you'll fall in love.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
mac's are less likely to be infected by viruses, and i think are less pron to crash than windows

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
If anyone is curious and rich, go to the Apple Store somewhere and ask them to let you try one out. Really, you'll fall in love.
It's funny you should mention that, I was at Nextbyte just yesterday, in the city. And I went to Chatswood's Apple Store.

I must have spent a few hours at each store (my preference is the city store, it's larger, spaced out, I got to play with the G5 on a 23" WS Cinema Display, controlling iTunes and the music throughout the store), and they even took out a few PowerBooks and iBooks (which I thought they didn't have, since I went in and only saw the 15" PowerBook). They then took out the other laptops and I was busying myself with it.

The 17" and 20" iMacs were also on display, as with the eMacs. They were a dream to use/play with.
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
mac's are less likely to be infected by viruses, and i think are less pron to crash than windows
That's because they're not widely used.

If Macs had the same market share, instead of being a niche market, they would be prone to attacks. Macs do have vulnerabilities, OS X isn't a perfect OS (but it comes close).

But OS X doesn't need AntiVirus, it's very secure and, as you've said, it is less likely to be infected by viruses - because virus writers are not targeting the Mac market, and Mac vulnerabilities and exploits are not highly published (as the PC scene is).

Windows XP rarely ever crashes (my system has been up for a month, a month and a half), but only crashes (again, rarely) because the hardware and software development are totally different. Whereas at Apple, it is they who are developing the hardware, and writing their own software, designed to suit their own hardware.

Microsoft write software, designed to cater for a wide variety of hardware vendors and configurations, in the hope that it will "just work". Apple write software, by themselves, for themselves. Their hardware selection is "limited" (not really), but everything works, because it's the one company.

*shuts up*

MoNNiE

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Yeah I'm a windows girl.....
in mac computers you can have it as a windows operation system
it's the same format and everything for windows.. but the layout is abit strange.. but i like!

edit: i didn't see huy's post b4.. all well!!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The deals at dell have changed now, so what do you think of this offer?

Dell Inspiron(TM) 600m 1400GT Notebook
Price AUD 2,398.00
Base System Inspiron(TM) 600M Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1.4GHz (14.1" XGA)
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition (English)
Warranty & Support Services 1Yr Limited Warranty with Next Business Day Onsite Service
Installation Services No Installation Requested
Future Technical Support Future Technical Support
DIMM Memory 256MB (2x128) DDR Memory PC2100 SDRAM
Keyboard Internal Dell(TM) 87 Keys Keyboard (English)
Software Microsoft(R) Works 7.0
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
EIDE Hard Drive 60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive Internal 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Wireless Solution Intel(R) PRO Wireless 2100 WLAN (802.11b) miniPCI Card
Internet ISP OzEmail ISP - Pre-Installed
Internet ISP II AOL 3-Month Internet Offer
Internet ISP III Prints@dell : Link to a Digital photograph Website
Modem Internal 56K Modem
Primary Battery 6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Freights Inspiron(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges (Australia)
Limited Time Offer (For Online Orders Only) Free upgrade from 40GB to 60GB hard drive
Limited Time Offer 1 Free Leather Carry Case
Remarks Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above.
Internet ISP IV Telstra Dial-Up Trial Plan
Carry Case Leather Case
Others Regulatory Label

Can you see anything here that could be a problem? I think I will buy from Dell, everything here in Albury is shit or way overpriced.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Also where could I look at some Mac prices/specs online??
Try any laptop sellers that dont seel their own brand. Ie independant sellers they should have mac laptops.

TheKey

HSC
im in a similar position as you, and im really looking to get a DELL as i hear they have great keyboard things (meaning very quiet typing), as for the price i guess its ok.

1 thing i would change is instead of "DIMM Memory 256MB (2x128) DDR Memory PC2100 SDRAM " make sure its only 1x256 stick that way u have an option to upgrade in future and they dont charge extra for that...so why not.

however if you wanna save up some more you can get a centrino laptop at Dick Smith for just under $1800.

psycho_mushy

HSC
she's under a price budget...

1x 256 is expensive.. at least and extra $100

TheKey

HSC
i agree it should be $100 more, but using dells "cusomise and buy" option to alter specifications of the laptop, they dont charge more for having 1x256 instead of 2x128...

psycho_mushy

HSC
yes they do charge more....

say they give u 2*128mb of RAM and u wanna get 1*256mb RAM.. u have to pay more through "customise and buy" if that's what you're saying...

it doesn't matter if u buy online or through telephone.. u have to pay more..

I know this for a fact coz I just bought one this year

TheKey

HSC
ok u win :)

anyways i think il aslo buy this 600M DELL looks very solid in terms of specs.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
heres my view- laptops are useless...

why? b4 u go gung-ho into buying lets weigh out the pros and cons:

PROS:
can lug computer with you anywhere, so theres music, internet access (if wireless network is installed in ur uni), word processing, graphics, watch movies
write notes, ideas outdoors or sitting on the dunny, oy lying in bed

CONS: expensive, so if its stolen ur stuffed (even if its not stolen u still have to pay a small fortune)
battery life 4 hours max
heavy to lug around
countinous backup of data req'd

so in short is word processingh in lectures that important? you could use a lecture pad to make notes and transfer them later

is music important? if so buy a mp3 or md player....easy!

solution? buy an desktop computer with superior specs for the equivalent cost

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by inasero

CONS: expensive, so if its stolen ur stuffed (even if its not stolen u still have to pay a small fortune)
battery life 4 hours max
heavy to lug around
countinous backup of data req'd

-Expensive? Depends what you're looking at

-4 Hours? LOL... hmmm not with the way they handle the CPU power decreasing features now and especially the newer laptops can last longer than that

-Heavy? Well that depends what model it is too

-Continuous data backup, not really depends how you handle your laptop and how to prevent head crashes, other wise generally alot of people just store documents and a few mp3 files which they switch between their desktop PC's and laptops.

I guess you right saying it's not much of a necessity for people who only might use word and the occasionaly music listening, that's why i have opted to save up and purchase myself a HP iPAQ 5550 Pocket PC, which is the ultimate device you should have for uni! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)