Laptops (1 Viewer)

blackbird_14

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a laptop, so I'm wondering what laptops you have, or what you recommend.
I'm looking for a laptop that's lightweight, has decent battery life, and is price/performance matched (as in its not outrageously expensive for the features it offers)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What is the price range you'd be willing to spend?

tyzzefloro

HSC
Definitely air for university, if you have a desktop computer already!! I purchased one half way through this year and omagawdd best decision ever. Posting from it right now.

leehuan

HSC
I used a MacBook Pro cause why not when you have the money. Big factor to consider.

blackbird_14

HSC
macbook pro
Definitely air for university, if you have a desktop computer already!! I purchased one half way through this year and omagawdd best decision ever. Posting from it right now.
I used a MacBook Pro cause why not when you have the money. Big factor to consider.
Mhmm i've been considering getting a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.
A few more questions:
1) Would you ever consider going back from Apple to another brand of laptop (eg. Toshiba, HP etc.). It'd be nice if you could explain why
2) Air or Pro?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I have one and love it, but if OP is after portability I'd suggest the Air. It's slightly cheaper and way lighter, my Pro is a bitch to carry around all day long. It's not as heavy as some other laptops though.
Lol not even that much heavier. Nothing really that noticeable

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
A few more questions:
1) Would you ever consider going back from Apple to another brand of laptop (eg. Toshiba, HP etc.). It'd be nice if you could explain why
2) Air or Pro?
1. No. Mac usability is unbeatable. Its trackpad is the best in the market. Nothing comes close.

2. Pro. Future proof device for a few more years over an air.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
A few more questions:
2) Air or Pro?
I'd never go back... the usability, trackpad and ease is incomparable. However if you're into computers/IT and like customising the hardware then Apple just isn't for you.
And tbh I'd rather Air just for the portability and weight. I have a Pro and I find it heavy when I've been lugging it around for hours.

Lol not even that much heavier. Nothing really that noticeable
My Pro is heavy compared to my friends' Airs and they always mention it... maybe I'm just a bitch haha my biceps are non-existant

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
A few more questions:
2) Air or Pro?
(2) Pro because it is really not that much heavier; and the fact that the amount of processing power that I use for "casual" activities means an air would get really hot and unresponsive :/

leehuan

HSC
If adding the cost to the Pro is not a problem, it is highly recommended as the nature of the computer itself (e.g. processors) are so much more advantageous over a very limited weight increase.
-----------
At home, my PC is still on Windows. In fact, it's Windows 10. But that's because Windows has functions that apple products do not.

Whereas for my educational purposes? This just seems more favourable.

leehuan

HSC
1. No. Mac usability is unbeatable. Its trackpad is the best in the market. Nothing comes close.

2. Pro. Future proof device for a few more years over an air.
Source + Explanation on 'better trackpad' though?

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Source + Explanation on 'better trackpad' though?
Source: Best Laptop of 2015; PC Authority - Mentioned here

My explanation which is based on what was mentioned; the trackpad follows finger movements smoothly, accurately; precision and control. I've use other laptops and the trackpads are a pain to use.

turntaker

HSC
when I use an apple computer I feel like I am using a toy

leehuan

HSC
Source: Best Laptop of 2015; PC Authority - Mentioned here

My explanation which is based on what was mentioned; the trackpad follows finger movements smoothly, accurately; precision and control. I've use other laptops and the trackpads are a pain to use.
Interesting. I haven't yet compared it to other laptops. Though I suppose that is true though; I have found very good precision and smoothened surfaces with mine.

when I use an apple computer I feel like I am using a toy
Vat

blackbird_14

HSC
If adding the cost to the Pro is not a problem, it is highly recommended as the nature of the computer itself (e.g. processors) are so much more advantageous over a very limited weight increase.
-----------
At home, my PC is still on Windows. In fact, it's Windows 10. But that's because Windows has functions that apple products do not.

Whereas for my educational purposes? This just seems more favourable.
So you use a MacBook for educational purposes?
What particular functions on Windows does apple not have? I'm interested to know

leehuan

HSC
So you use a MacBook for educational purposes?
What particular functions on Windows does apple not have? I'm interested to know
There aren't that many at the end of the day tbh. Mainly for gaming purposes, I find it easier to do multiple things at once and for some reasons some games such as osu work out horribly for me on a mac. These days I always see windows users with Microsoft on their comps as well, and I really cbf getting one specifically for my Mac. But this is resolved by the simple matter of using Google Drive anyway.

At school, my kit was almost 100% online, so my mac was sufficient on it's own.
-Google search
-Google Drive
-dictionary.reference.com
-Pdf viewer (which, apple products do have one)
-Gmail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)