Top of my head:
- Further knowledge of the atom.
- It's progress is monitored by the mainstream media: increasing awareness of importance of physics to society.
- Jobs for scientists/programmers/engineers etc
- Involved the collobaration of many scientists, leading to a more colloborated scientific community.
- However, arguments could be made for money to be spent on social welfare/ more immediate rewards to be reaped/hospitals schools etc.
idk, weird questions haha, feel free to call me out on any of this