• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Last minute Gwennie thread [post Harwood Qs here] (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
Alrighty, I know there are a few of us out there doing Harwood. Any questions you have, throw in this thread. It'll become a great resource for those stressing about Thursday, and also for those who do this elective in future years.

Before you ask anything, I encourage you all to browse through the FAQ that Without Wings posted earlier in the year. Props to her, it has some solid info in it and answers to a few questions that *everyone* asks around this time of the year!

My question:

How are you guys going about with your essay writing? Are you developing an argument (say as you would in AOS/Module C), or are you more just throwing down different readings of Harwood's poems and hoping for marks? :p

I ask, because I've read few the exemplar responses BOS published and they don't contain any sort of thread or argument. It's more-or-less a stack of information, rather than a proper essay. NOW, is that the way to do things, or are markers more inclined to award the 19-20/20s to those who inject some sort of flair into the essay?

This is my weakest module, and i'm a bit blind on whether to learn stacks of quotes or learn connections between poems.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
your argument should be that the poems can be interpreted a number of different ways. Then you throw down different readings and hope for marks.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
how much of your own interpretation of Harwoods poems should you put??,

The_Shaman

HSC
I dont include any interpretation of my own, just the varying perspectives, which i see as more than enough, because they kind of become your own

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Im a bit confused with the readings. Can a theme be a reading??
Eg: for violets the theme is about memories, can i use it as a reading?
Thx

bEAbEA

HSC
i'm just going to discuss two readings for each poem - hopefully the two same types of readings (religious and feminist), and then through doing that it will be obvious that the poems can support different meanings through the poem's textual integrity. It's hard to have an argument, but I agree with Jago - the only argument is that the poems can support different readings.

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
anyone have the question for Harwood from CSSA2005????

I did the In2005 and the question was:

"You have been asked to contribute an article to a publication called: student think tank that will be made available for future HSC students

Write the article. In your article justify your understanding and interpretation through lose analysis of the poems and reference to any critical material that has influenced you.

bEAbEA

HSC
Have they specified a poem to refer to in the extended response before? If they have, does anyone know which one it was? Because, we can probably count that one out...

bEAbEA

HSC
Götterfunken said:
How many do we have to, or should we refer to, in our answers?Will the question tell us to?
We have no idea if they will make us refer to one in particular - i guess we'll find that out and die tomorrow at 9:20am. It is proably best to refer to at least two poems and talk about 2 readings on each.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Götterfunken said:
How many do we have to, or should we refer to, in our answers?Will the question tell us to?
Two or Three is the general way.
Two is all I can fit -with 2 readings + shit about context and style.

I'm freaking praying that they don't specify. If they do, I'm screwed.

nwatts

HSC
bEAbEA said:
Have they specified a poem to refer to in the extended response before? If they have, does anyone know which one it was? Because, we can probably count that one out...
I'm quite sure they've specified a poem before, however Harwood is a new addition to the list of module B electives, I think she replaced Donne. (And whoever decided upon that will meet their fate in the furnaces of hell.) In the poetry part of module B, BOS has specified, but never for Harwood.

coastalstump

SOooooo screwed...... !!!

yargh!! hate gwen harwood... SCREWED for 2moro.. like....

^ that many screweds! *sigh*.... i need divine intervention ....

Jexi

HSC
I am also praying that don't specify. Gasp at the thought of Harwood. I've been having Harwoodish Nightmares. :S Sniff

Jexi

HSC
You don't really need to quote critics. In fact if you over quote, Markers are going to think you didn't have any input in the interpretation. Part of the syllabus wants your own interpretation.

Götterfunken

HSC
Well, you have to account for critics somehow, surely. Afterall the modules title is 'critical study', which unless i'm wrong implies some level of critical opinion.

Jexi

HSC
You can adopt critcical theories but you dont need to quote critics as such.

essembee

HSC
does anyone know if we have to know the specific contexts of the poems we're doing ?

and whats the likeliness of them specifying a poem?

di xo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)