Last movie you watched? And what you thought of it? (1 Viewer)

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Life of Pi: visually stimulating sometimes but there was too much religion...
Wreck-It Ralph: unless you are <14 then it isn't for you.

Scabs

HSC
Life of Pi: visually stimulating sometimes but there was too much religion...
That's what I thought up until the scene where Pi tells the other story, made me think the whole movie is really about the way you want to look at it rather than shoving the religious/spiritual themes down your throat.

deloving

HSC
Kingdom of Heaven

I won't say much. Where should I start. Oh yeah, I'm very, very, very surprised this movie has not been a hit. Instead, it has received a lot of criticism, mainly (from what I can see) from hardcore 'Mericans who don't like how the movie entirely disregards the patriotic and biased Christian perspective... So, in my opinion this movie was very well done. Scenery and music was phenomenal. It (obviously) was not a 100% legit portrayal of history, but which movie these days is? Yes, it went slightly overboard with the explosions and such, but came expected as this is Hollywood we are talking about. This movie greatly depicts Orlando Bloom's ability to play a leading role, but I felt there was something missing so I won't go as far as saying it was a great act (it was however, very very good). Oh man, Liam Neeson as the mentor of the protagonist? Who would have guessed?

9/10, bitches be mad.

Because I'm bored I will take a look at some short reviews on RottenTomatoes and tell you which ones I agree with.

Ones I agree with:
Kingdom of Heaven is profoundly relevant for our troubled times.
... an extraordinary work of art, a plea for religious tolerance that works because of sheer filmmaking prowess and good, old-fashioned storytelling.

Ridley Scott takes it slow and steady with Kingdom of Heaven.It is no secret that this film goes to great lengths to tell its story. The run time, for one, is a massive 3 hours. It isn't a quick sit through, nor does it feel like it with only a moderate pace. On the other hand, the costumes and set design are visually pleasing. When it comes to the story, there isn't a whole lot that can be deemed unnecessary, as most of it does fit nicely together.The violence is bloody and the action is as it should be. Nothing fancy when it comes to the choreography; just large clashes, especially in the final hour.The cast is solid. The supporting roles tend to outshine Orlando Bloom, but since the characters come and go, it is Bloom that ends up with the most to deliver. The likes of Eva Green, Jeremy Irons, and David Thewlis are just a few of the standouts throughout the picture.Kingdom of Heaven isn't a masterpiece, but it is a recommendable picture if one has 3 hours to spare.
Yeah, what this guy is saying is mostly correct:

Interesting subject matter, and capable (if overly glossy) cinematography, but something in this film just didn't come out right. I think there was too much build up to most events; though the plot was interesting, everything developed so slowly that the sting had been taken out of the events before they occurred. That, and I didn't buy Orlando Bloom in this part - too young and too pretty. Didn't reward the investment it required, and could have trimmed some fat to make for a better watch.
While I understand where that's coming from, you're too harsh on the cinematography and Orlando Bloom.

I don't know what these two are talking about:

Violent movie about the Crusades that isn't meant for kids.
Since we barely know what's at stake -- we're too confused and bored to care -- all this fighting means nothing to us, and yet Scott still hopes to rev us up with it.
I actually laughed at this one ^^^^^

deloving

HSC
Director's cut. Running time: 3:09 (189 minutes). May explain my rant on the criticism, but hell.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I thought that might be the case. I've heard the directors is so much better than the theatrical cut. I hated the theatrical cut, so even though I'm hearing better things, I'm not really game to sit through three hours of the directors at the moment.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
I watched Gangster Squad last week, was pretty good, I enjoyed how well the movie was placed in the 1950s(?) and the fact that it was based on a true story

deloving

HSC
See at first I didn't believe the Director's Cut was that much better, since for most movies that is never the case. But I read into it more and apparently Kingdom of Heaven is an exception and the only watchable version is the Director's Cut. And fair enough, 3 hours is actually a long time and I'll be honest at some points during the film I thought "I wish this was a bit shorter".

espiritulol

HSC
Today I watched Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix

Out of the 7 movies it's definitely one of my favourites.

deloving

HSC
A Knight's Tale

Part of our Comparative Study for Advanced. What can I say. This is just pure genius. Amazing combination of inspiration, comedy, pure awesomeness. I loved it.

deloving

HSC
Oh right. Iron Man 3.

Pretty shit movie but decent entertainment. Just like its predecessors.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Saw Warm Bodies last night and went crazy over the soundtrack. Had anyone told me before that putting Bon Iver, M83 and The National in a zombie rom com would world, I'd've laughed at them. Instead, I just really enjoyed myself.

Ladahk

HSC
Dead Poet's Society.

It's for a film study for english.
My teacher went on and on about how she likes it and she kept pausing the movie to explain bits.
I didn't really like it

deloving

HSC
5 centimeters per second

It was really good! Unique but beautiful portrayal, backed up by beautiful music (nothing really stands out all that much, but it always feels right) and visuals.

(Looks like a perfect text for related material - will definitely use it in the future.)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Chris Pine.
Zachary Quinto.
Benedict CUMBERBAAAAAATCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH.
:thrust:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)