Last movie you've seen? (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
hey benny, have you seen park's joint security area? i rented it out last week, but may not get round to watching it.

l'enfant (jean-pierre & luc dardenne, 2005) - bleak and starkly moving french film, in style of robert bresson or ken loach. really simple and powerful. 9/10

bullets over broadway (woody allen, 1994) - thoroughly entertaining if slightly insubstantial. john cusack is a thoroughly unconvincing woody stand-in. 7/10

the piano teacher (michael haneke, 2001) - still wondering about that ending, but overall was engrossed. isabella huppert is fucking amazing, sometimes even the slightest twitch in her face can be wrenching to watch. can't wait for haneke's cache now. 8/10

hustle & flow (craig brewer, 2005) - awesome up until the ending, where it becomes just another hiphop movie. great to see in cinemas, as the surround sound really does justice to this kind of music. 8/10

double indemnity (billy wilder, 1944) - one of the best films ever made, duh. 10/10

Last edited:

Trillium

HSC
Red Eye- last night.
I was good, but only because i <3 Cillian Murphy. Other than that... the ending was terrible. terrible
~Trill

salsydney

HSC
I watched A Cinderella Story yesterday.. yeh i love my teen movies... i loved it.
Before that, i saw Bride and Prejudice the other night... also loved that... absolutely loved mr darcy in it...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
hey benny, have you seen park's joint security area? i rented it out last week, but may not get round to watching it.
Nah I haven't icecream. Like I said, I wasn't really a fan of Park until I saw Sympathy For Mr Vengeance last week. I am about to give the 3rd of his "Revenge" trilogy a go though.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I watched the pink panther the other day which was a pretty stupid and predictable movie in general. however i haven't laughed so much for a long long time !

Riviet

HSC
N/A
My sister recorded The Bourne Identity a week or two ago when it was aired on tv, so I watched it and loved almost every moment of it... mainly because I enjoyed the book so much and loved the plot and the character Jason. =D
4.5/5 stars!!

Last edited:

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Aeon Flux. One of the worst movies ever. Period. Giving it 2/10 stars is generous.

captain249

HSC
Yeah I saw Munich last week its awesome. One of the best movies i've seen for a long time. Eric Bana fits the leader role well. 9.5/10
A few weeks ago i saw Underworld: Evolution. I hadn't seen the 1st 1 but that didn't impact much on the story. Kate Beckinsale fit the role fairly well-but her looks brought the movie up -she was damn fine. Good soundtrack. Probably 7/10
I wouldn't say the easiest judge either coz both of these movies were good.
Yeah i wanna see hostel- it'll b a while til im 18 (yeah our cinema ppl are tough on that-and its the country!) but ive heard its fairly gross -more reason to c it lol.
CAtchya

nwatts

HSC
Two today, while i should have been working. :eek:

Wolf Creek - great cinematography, evoked an authentic and almost esoteric atmosphere of the Aus outback. Performances were great, especially from the bogan bloke who played Mick - one of 05's greats. I just didn't really love it. It seemed all too a bit pointless and it wasn't scary enough for me to see any serious value in its horror. I think, though, it would have been a great one to see in the cinema. 3.5/5

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - very entertaining, gotta love Robert Downey Jnr and Kilmer in this one - great chemistry between the two, and some utterly fantastic dialogue. "So, what do you do?" "Oh I'm retired. I invented dice. How about you?" "Oh, yeah. I'm an actor. I'm gonna go look for, other people." <- pure gold. This is one i'll grab on DVD when i've got some spare cash. 4/5

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance- Probably the weakest of Park Chan-Wook's "Revenge" trilogy, but still worth having a look, if for no other reason than for the fun of picking out the beneath-the-surface links and easter eggs between the 3 films. 7.5/10

The Squid and the Whale I started watching this at 2 am the other night. Never really the best idea, so I don't think the rating I give it would be quite fair. In any case I found the father and son both to be utterly repulsive characters. And what's the deal with the son getting away with claiming Hey You by Pink Floyd as his own song? Not very plausible.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
No no.. I'm pretty sure I'd like it more if I watched it again, I was just too tired the first time.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Flightplan: Ok but bad ending.

Aeon Flux: Good idea. Completely screwed it up. Very bad.

icecreamdisco

HSC
punch-drunk love (p.t. anderson, 2002) - seen it a few times before, still can't think of many films that get me as giddy watching them. 9/10

inside man (spike lee, 2006) - meh... it's a good, entertaining heist film, but i think the critics are going overboard. 89% on the tomatometer? just because it makes a few observations of racial tensions doesn't mean it transcends the genre. still worth a look. 7/10

look at me (agnes jaoui, 2005) - ugh... such boring, unlikeable characters. i suppose it does examine narcissism and power relationships in families well, but i was so thoroughly disengaged. 4/10

walrusbear

HSC
punch drunk love is pure joy. when the fuck will pt anderson make another movie?? it's been too long

i'm surprised inside man is good, the trailer had me confused with spike lee as director???

i've seen:
il deserto dei tartari (1976) - it's adapted from a popular italian book. deliberate, slow pace give it a sort of existential malaise. we wait for so long for something to happen... i quite liked the movie but is tough to watch at times. 7/10

night on earth (1991) - this is the earliest jim jarmusch movie i've seen and i'm amazed to say i like it almost more than his more recent efforts.
5 episodes involving taxis in 5 major cities (LA, NY, Paris, Rome and Helsinki).
episodes range from moving to hilarious, particularly roberto benigni in rome.
8.5/10

walrusbear

HSC
manhattan (1979) - one of my favourite movies. it is better every time.
10/10

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Rush Hour 2

haha watched it so many times and its still funny!. its more funny if you know canto though hehe.

Mongke

HSC
Syriana: great. loved matty and the script was awesome!! expected but really liked the way it all merged in the last moments. 9/10

V for Vendetta: my perfect fantacy come true :D:D:D:D AND to the 1812 overture! 8/10

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
walrusbear said:
manhattan (1979) - one of my favourite movies. it is better every time.
10/10
it's a damn fine film. for some reason i hated it the first time i saw it. the second time i was quite confused, cause i thought it was fantastic and wasn't sure why i hated it so much the first time. similar thing happened with raging bull

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)