LAT (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anyone know much about lat or its difficulty? Its median score was 74 in 2023 for UNSW, but I dont have a reference or measure of how good this result it.

Also if anyone did the LAT what was your score and what did you do leading up/in the exam?

raspberriesandpears

HSC
I did literally no prep at all, just winged it completely during the exam, and I got 79 so do with that information what you will
(although I've debated for eight or so years so arguing comes very naturally to me)

I did write a quick thing the other day about what i'm planning to do this year to (maybe?) increase my score which you can see here:

So I did the LAT last year and I'm doing it again this year - what they mean when it's 'in the moment' is that you literally have two questions that could be on any topic.

Last year one was analysing an argument - we were given an article and had to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the author's argument.
The second question was constructing an argument - we were given a topic and a bunch of stats/sources and we had to craft an argument based on that.

Due to this broad nature of topic it's really hard to prep for it the way you would the HSC, and often you do well without prepping. Last year I went in completely blind and got a 79 (for context, the median score for UNSW entry last year was 74).

What I'm planning to do this year though is just look through some persuasive techniques, à la Year 9 NAPLAN, just to give my first section response some more structure and credibility. I'm not going to do much beyond that, though.

Good luck!

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I got 90 last year which is ok. I didn't try though so probably could have done better

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
@raspberriesandpears just out of interest what course are you studying right now? Does that mean u werent able to get law at unsw w 79 if you are resitting?
you can sit it in yr11, which it seems what @raspberriesandpears did since their hsc is this year.
🫠 just ok? haha capping or r u studying law rn?
It's not 100 is it?

+ I didn't really do much prep for it, it's all about analysis and argument formation which is what my prep went into

Yeah I do economics + law at unsw

raspberriesandpears

HSC
you can sit it in yr11, which it seems what @raspberriesandpears did since their hsc is this year.

It's not 100 is it?

+ I didn't really do much prep for it, it's all about analysis and argument formation which is what my prep went into

Yeah I do economics + law at unsw
yep you're right - also 90 is very very impressive well done! i was proud of 79!!!

how do you find law at unsw? it's definitely one of my top options, so i'm interested as to your opinions

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
yep you're right - also 90 is very very impressive well done! i was proud of 79!!!

how do you find law at unsw? it's definitely one of my top options, so i'm interested as to your opinions
Thank you

law is decent I like it. the way classes are run makes it easy to form friends with peers etc. lecturers are good. I’ve only done 2 subjects of it so far (soon to be 3) so yeah. I would recommend it though. What yo other options

raspberriesandpears

HSC
i have early offers for anu and macquarie so those are definitely options. usyd is on my uac preferences but i'm not sure if i'll make the atar + i'm not sure if i love the degree as much as unsw's anyway? so i guess we'll see

HSC
How structured do your responses have to be for the actual exam in the LAT? Or are they focused more about the content you write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)