Late assignment. Not good. (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Okay so I am in a, ah, *bad* situation at the moment. I had an assignment due this Friday at 12pm ( to be handed in to W6A). It was a law assignment, and the repercussions for handing it in late are, according to the study guide, that I fail the entire unit. The assignment was worth 20%, and I handed it in at 1pm ( an hour late). I don't have a medical certificate etc. Can anyone offer me practical advice as to what I should do? I am pretty sure I have failed the unit, so I have been considering withdrawing ( it is obviously a pity that doing this without academic penalty closed on the 31st of March). I have also considered asking my tutor to give me no marks for this assignment, but still allow me to pass the unit ( if I went well enough in the unit I could still pass, regardless of the 0/20 assignment mark). Hmm it is all looking pretty dire

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
You could try arguing extenuating circumstances... something along the lines of a car accident/breakdown, etc. I'm not sure if you'd be successful though.

You definitely need to contact the unit coordinator ASAP and I'd recommend doing it in person.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
post up the study guide

I haven't come across a law subject which auto-failed you for late submission of an assignment. Maybe you miscomprehended the wording of it

X

xeuyrawp

Okay so I am in a, ah, *bad* situation at the moment. I had an assignment due this Friday at 12pm ( to be handed in to W6A). It was a law assignment, and the repercussions for handing it in late are, according to the study guide, that I fail the entire unit. The assignment was worth 20%, and I handed it in at 1pm ( an hour late). I don't have a medical certificate etc. Can anyone offer me practical advice as to what I should do? I am pretty sure I have failed the unit, so I have been considering withdrawing ( it is obviously a pity that doing this without academic penalty closed on the 31st of March). I have also considered asking my tutor to give me no marks for this assignment, but still allow me to pass the unit ( if I went well enough in the unit I could still pass, regardless of the 0/20 assignment mark). Hmm it is all looking pretty dire
You should chat with your tutor...

iwannarock

HSC
i think its automatic fail if you never hand it in.

you handed it in late.......and out of every single stupid law study guide i've seen........the first week of it being late you lose 10%......the next you lose 20%.

if you hand it in 2 weeks late you get zero but you dont fail.

if you never hand it in you fail the whole course.

hannahxxx

HSC
Yeah I will go and see the convenor about it today. The advice about going and seeing him in person is good- email makes it so much easier to dismiss my case. I will attach the study guide, though I have definitely not misinterpreted it- it was pretty clear. The relevant part is on page 8.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wow, that's a tad hardcore :|

Tabris

HSC
That rule is fairly uncoventional from what I have seen. Most of the units I have done have penalties rather than an insta-fail clause.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
If you had to hand in a box in W6A, then I think you will be fine. It is highly unlikely that a tutor would update that box every hour, even one as Nazi as yours. Maybe your tutor is being deliberately strict in an attempt to get all assignments in on time. It does sound rather draconian though. All my assignments have generally been penalised at 10% per day late.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mfgc, you're being harsh. sometimes it's hard to be on top of everything.
hannah, i really don't think late submission is that critical but i could be wrong, i hope that things will go ok for you...

hannahxxx

HSC
Thanks for that misericordia. Whatashotbyseve I think they check the boxes every day at 9am, 12pm and 5pm. The convenor for this unit may have even specifically asked the office to clean out this particular box at 12pm. Whatever the technicalities are, I've got a meeting today at 3pm with the convenor, so ultimately I'll know then :(
Thanks for everyone's advice though

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Thanks for that misericordia. Whatashotbyseve I think they check the boxes every day at 9am, 12pm and 5pm. The convenor for this unit may have even specifically asked the office to clean out this particular box at 12pm. Whatever the technicalities are, I've got a meeting today at 3pm with the convenor, so ultimately I'll know then :(
Thanks for everyone's advice though
good luck

hannahxxx

HSC
Thanks for asking, the meeting went amazingly well. My tutor ( who is also the convenor) explained that he would not penalise me for handing it in an hour late. He also said the study guide clause about failing people was basically to ensure people had the motivation to hand it in on time. I honestly expected to fail the course ( and get my first "F" on my transcript, spoil my chances of getting a clerkship these summer hols etc etc), so yeah what he said was pretty unexpected.....in a good way of course :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Thanks for asking, the meeting went amazingly well. My tutor ( who is also the convenor) explained that he would not penalise me for handing it in an hour late. He also said the study guide clause about failing people was basically to ensure people had the motivation to hand it in on time. I honestly expected to fail the course ( and get my first "F" on my transcript, spoil my chances of getting a clerkship these summer hols etc etc), so yeah what he said was pretty unexpected.....in a good way of course :)
congratulations, seems like it worked! :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yay :)

Good motivational tool though, must remember it for the future!

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC

Ahahaha... you must be relieved, you poor girl!
It's nice to know it all turned out okay. Take care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)