Late Round Offers (1 Viewer)

Bec-B

HSC
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering about late round offers. I read up on the UAC website about offers etc, but I was wondering, how much does the UAI go down for courses between first round and later round offers? Obviously it depends on the demand for the course, but is there a general trend?

I got a UAI of 98.6, and I'd love to study law at Sydney...do you think there's a possibility of a late round offer, or will I have to try to transfer next year?

Thanks a bunch!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Late round offers usually come out because a university has not filled its quota for a course. If they have 1000 places in a degree, but only get 990 applications, they will mae offers to people who were below the cut-off the first time around. Hence, the revised cut-off will be lowered.

The difference in the cut-off will depend upon a few things, first and foremost being how many positions are available in a course. The second would be how many people applied to the course thefirst time and did not get in and their UAIs. If the cut-off for our hypothetical course with ten places left is 95.00 after the first round and the university opens it up to people who didn't make the cut the first time and they all have a UAI of 94.50, the new cut-off will be 94.50.

It's really impossble to predit where the cut-off will go and how far it will go that way because in this universe, cause follows effect. The UAI cut-off will change depending upon how many vacancies there are, the UAIs of the people who apply for those vacancies a how far the university is willing to lower the cut-off. If the course in question is something like medicine and there are few applicants, the university obviously can't afford to lower the UAI too far, regardless of how many vacancies they all have.

loser101

HSC
late round cut-offs can go up or down.

for law at sydney all the main round offers will be exhausted, however not everyone will accept thier main round offers, as some may defer or some may change thier preferences to another course. which frees up spots. e.g if there is only 1 spot then that spot may be taken by someone with a UAI of 99.00 so it may go up

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
late round cut-offs can go up or down.

for law at sydney all the main round offers will be exhausted, however not everyone will accept thier main round offers, as some may defer or some may change thier preferences to another course. which frees up spots. e.g if there is only 1 spot then that spot may be taken by someone with a UAI of 99.00 so it may go up
But the cut-off is the lowest accepted UAI to the course. If the cut-off is 95 and someone with a 99 UAI is accepted in a later round, the cut-off will remain 95. It won't go up to 99 because 95 was the lowest accepted UAI.

ballin

Banned
HSC
so are you guys saying that law doesnt really get many late round offers? what courses do, in general? hopefully arts...

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Please stop saying things where you know nothing about
This ain't engineering. If you'd bothered to read the first post in the thread, it's related to law.

And as I've said countless times, I can only go by what I know, which was three years ago. There's obviously been some changes along the way, but that doesn't mean you're any better qualified than anyone else since there's probably been other changes since 2005.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
ballin said:
so are you guys saying that law doesnt really get many late round offers? what courses do, in general? hopefully arts...
Law cut off for the Late round is usually around 99.8. It gets higher as people switch to it for the late round, and its basically full up from the 1st round.

Good luck, you will need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)