• Latham

Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

Rorix

HSC
Originally posted by .:b-me:.
pssht. the war was not about global security. there werent any WMDs! it was about oil.
Wrong. Rather then get into a technical argument, I'll ask you one simple question:

If the war was about oil, how come oil prices are at record highs?

Oh, and you claim there weren't any WMDs. Now, no-one disputes that Saddam has had and used WMDs in the past. So what you're really saying is "I fully trust Saddam to get rid of his WMDs in an appropriate manner and fully comply with UN resolutions".

Har. Har.

Here is a row of men rolling their eyes at your post:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :

Last edited:

.:b-me:.

memories consume
Originally posted by asha_ramirez
That's not entirely true, look at the issue with the South Korean Translator being murdered? America had nothing but praise for the South Korean government for remaining loyal to the war, where as basically the rest of the world, including John Howard and the Australian government, were appauled by the act; now I'm not sure if that shows that the Aus. Gov. has more care for human rights, or if they're just trying to save their own ass in not trying to do something more about the capture of the, now dead, translator.

being 'appalled' by an act is clearly political rhetoric unless its followed up with some action. see, if they say they're appalled by the act, it shows that they're caring and have a soft side, it justifies their interests in the war, but they can hide the fact that they're not actually doing anything to stop more hostage situations from occurring.

memories consume
Originally posted by Rorix
Wrong. Rather then get into a technical argument, I'll ask you one simple question:

If the war was about oil, how come oil prices are at record highs?
because there are quite clearly other middle eastern players in the oil market. iraq isnt the only place you get oil...

asha_ramirez

HSC
being 'appalled' by an act is clearly political rhetoric unless its followed up with some action. see, if they say they're appalled by the act, it shows that they're caring and have a soft side, it justifies their interests in the war, but they can hide the fact that they're not actually doing anything to stop more hostage situations from occurring.
That's exactly the point I was making. What the problem is, is that Howard may believe that this side of sensitivity he's showing is completely transparent, does he think the Australian public will be wooed by these sorts of statements? I think not.

Rorix

HSC
because there are quite clearly other middle eastern players in the oil market. iraq isnt the only place you get oil...

I will start an appropriate thread in the main forum, so I can link to it the next time someone claims it was a war for oil.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, the war was about global (i.e., US) security... Why must it always be linked back to the bloody oil?

memories consume
so your justification for the war is ACTUALLY WMDS??
because that one is wearing a little thin...
globaL security? well, more civilians are dying becuase of the war than the lack of the war.

it also has a lot to do with the fact that these countries dont follow the AMERICA IS GREAT, bow down to the west ideal. they refused to agree with the western way of thinking. and the west couldnt handle that.

Rorix

HSC
so your justification for the war is ACTUALLY WMDS??
because that one is wearing a little thin...
Yeah, because it's not like Saddam has had and used WMDs or anything

I AM ROLLING MY EYES ON THE INTERNET

globaL security? well, more civilians are dying becuase of the war than the lack of the war.
At the moment? Probably - but it must be looked at with a long term focus.

it also has a lot to do with the fact that these countries dont follow the AMERICA IS GREAT, bow down to the west ideal. they refused to agree with the western way of thinking. and the west couldnt handle that.
No, it doesn't. It has a lot to do with Saddam being an oppresive dictator. It has a lot to do with Saddam ignoring years of UN resolutions. It has a lot to do with Saddam giving $25,000 to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers, and so on.

Oh, but we only care about Iraq sponsoring terrorism, killing Kurds and ignoring resolutions (and the Gulf War cease fire) because it signifies that they are not willing to accept terrorism is bad, and killing people is wrong!

Clearly, we only care because they don't support these American ideals.

DERFDERF

memories consume
ok. oppressive dictator.
why isnt america bombing the shit out of zimbabwe?

and ouch. your stinging insults make me want to cry.
</sarcasm>

asha_ramirez

HSC
A lot to do with Saddam? Wow silly me, here I was thinking that it had more to do with George Bush wanting to finish what his daddy started in the Cold War; more to do with oil. More to do with payback, with revenge for 9/11.. etc...

America has ignored the UN just as much, if not more openly, than Iraq.

WMDs? Don't even try... They never existed... how about America's nukes.. yeah lets start with that one.

God Bless America *cough*

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php

Rorix

HSC
ok. oppressive dictator.
why isnt america bombing the shit out of zimbabwe?

and ouch. your stinging insults make me want to cry.
</sarcasm>
oh, did I miss that bit where logic said "invading one dictator because he is oppresive means you are obliged to invade them all". Please explain to me how that works. 3

A lot to do with Saddam? Wow silly me, here I was thinking that it had more to do with George Bush wanting to finish what his daddy started in the Cold War
I think you'll find you mean the Gulf War. I feel it speaks volumes about your knowledge of the subject to reference the wrong war.

more to do with oil.
See other thread

More to do with payback
For what?

with revenge for 9/11
Afghanistan.

America has ignored the UN just as much, if not more openly, than Iraq.
Not true. Iraq has ignored UN resolutions ever since the Gulf War ended, pretty much. What I think you're referring to in America "ignoring the UN" is America (and the Coalition) fulfilling the threats made under several UN resolutions - the most notable being 1441. Why, America and Britian already had all the justification they needed to go to war based on previous resolutions, they didn't even need to go back to the Security Council. How are they ignoring the UN?

WMDs? Don't even try... They never existed...
Oh, you're denying that Saddam has ever had WMDs? :rolleyes:

how about America's nukes.. yeah lets start with that one.
What about them? Perhaps you're referring to America ending World War 2 without a costly invasion of Japan?

memories consume
look rorix, its really sweet that you believe in the war as much as you do. blind faith is really.....uhm.....sweet....
but sometimes, you've got to look past the propaganda machines and look at both sides of the argument.

its not as black and white as you would like it to be.
and the un secretary general, kofi annan, who somehow i think know a tad wee bit more on the situation than yourself, says unilateral action taken outside the Security Council would not conform to the UN charter.

The UN charter allows military action in self-defence and that can include a pre-emptive strike - but only if there is an imminent threat.

iraq was not an imminent threat.

asha_ramirez

HSC
oh, did I miss that bit where logic said "invading one dictator because he is oppresive means you are obliged to invade them all". Please explain to me how that works.
Ha, 'democracy' invading a dictatorship... I don't understand how Bush thought it would work...? Any opinions?

Not true. Iraq has ignored UN resolutions ever since the Gulf War ended, pretty much. What I think you're referring to in America "ignoring the UN" is America (and the Coalition) fulfilling the threats made under several UN resolutions - the most notable being 1441. Why, America and Britian already had all the justification they needed to go to war based on previous resolutions, they didn't even need to go back to the Security Council. How are they ignoring the UN?
How are they not ignoring the UN? If they did not have to 'go back to the Security Council' then why did they do it? Part of Bush having to prove this war to the world, by showing that he has the power to ignore the UN and not be repremanded for it.
I don't understand how you can agree with this war, considering current circumstances with human rights violations, alone, is enough to not support the war.

I think you'll find you mean the Gulf War. I feel it speaks volumes about your knowledge of the subject to reference the wrong war.
Haha silly me, yes the Gulf War, I didn't claim absolute knowledge about either the cold war, the gulf war or the current war... it was just a statement.

Oh, you're denying that Saddam has ever had WMDs? :rolleyes:
Maybe I was too general with that one. The point being, is that no WMD's were found.

What about them? Perhaps you're referring to America ending World War 2 without a costly invasion of Japan?
Are you saying that the production of nukes has been ended since the 'costly invasion of Japan'? I think not, Bush would not have entered into such a war without the fire-power to do so.

If you look at the amount of fire-arms production and purchases by normal Americans, of course nukes are something America would have, regardless of previous wars.

Rorix

HSC
look rorix, its really sweet that you believe in the war as much as you do. blind faith is really.....uhm.....sweet....
Thanks. I think your anti-Americanism is just as cute.

its not as black and white as you would like it to be.
I should be saying the same thing to you. But I didn't. Why? Because you're not actually making a point, just filling up space so it looks like you've said more and responded to my points when you haven't.

and the un secretary general, kofi annan, who somehow i think know a tad wee bit more on the situation than yourself, says unilateral action taken outside the Security Council would not conform to the UN charter.
I'm not going to respond to this until you post a quote, rather than a vague paraphrase.

The UN charter allows military action in self-defence and that can include a pre-emptive strike - but only if there is an imminent threat.

iraq was not an imminent threat.
So all UN peace keeping operations, which I'd think fell under 'military action', were self defence or a response to an imminent threat? I don't think so.

BTW: You still haven't justified why the US should invade Zimbabwe.

Ha, 'democracy' invading a dictatorship... I don't understand how Bush thought it would work...? Any opinions?
Kind of like it does right now. You know, given that power was turned over as recently as like yesterday, I thought you would know this.

How are they not ignoring the UN? If they did not have to 'go back to the Security Council' then why did they do it?
Oh, do you have a link to a Security Council resolution that says "The Coalition is not allowed to invade Iraq"? I didn't think so.

One can only speculate why US/UK went back to the Security Council, but I'd assume it's because they wanted a united front against Iraq, and asumed that any reasonable administration would agree that Saddam needed to be removed and threats made in Security Council resolutions should be carried out.

Part of Bush having to prove this war to the world, by showing that he has the power to ignore the UN and not be repremanded for it.
This sentence doesn't make sense. Please rephrase.

I don't understand how you can agree with this war, considering current circumstances with human rights violations, alone, is enough to not support the war.
I guess maybe that I'd prefer to be alive and be sexually humilated by a rogue group of American soldiers than dead. But hey, personal preference.

Haha silly me, yes the Gulf War, I didn't claim absolute knowledge about either the cold war, the gulf war or the current war... it was just a statement.
Well, if you're trying to say that cleaning up the mess that should have been done in the Gulf War was a motive, then yes, I'd agree.

Maybe I was too general with that one. The point being, is that no WMD's were found.
Osama hasn't been found either. That doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Saddam had WMD. No-one's denying this. Now, Saddam has claimed to have ridden himself of these weapons, so if you trust him, that's your choice. Now, as we remember, Saddam only let in weapons inspectors to Iraq when war with the Coalition seemed inevitable, which seems rather suspicious. What did he have to hide?

So, the prewar case for weapons (as far as I can remember, there was probably more suspicion over certain sites and so on) drew on precendent and Saddam's curious behaviour. It was good enough to convince most in various intelligence organisations around the world (although many of these organisations were under political pressure, I'm sure). Now, assuming that you have some higher moral standard where you believe you must be absolutely sure of WMD before the invasion is justified (rather than just a reasonable belief, which I'd prefer) you may ask, where did the weapons go? Ignoring the possibility that they are somewhere in Iraq still, as it does take a while to search the entire country (think of how long it took to find WW2 criminals), there was a large pickup in truck traffic to Syria immediately before the war began. Now, we've got a sarin gas shell turning up, and missile parts in scrapyards around the world. HmmmMMmmm.

Are you saying that the production of nukes has been ended since the 'costly invasion of Japan'? I think not, Bush would not have entered into such a war without the fire-power to do so.
Oh no, I'm not saying that. I just thought that, y'know, you might have been discussing America's nuclear weapons to make a point. Since we were on the topic of the use of WMDs, I thought you might be referring to the only two times America has used it's nuclear weapons. I guess not - what did you have in mind?

come out and play...
me likey debating...
OK. Since you're flirting, can I have a pic;)?

Last edited:

asha_ramirez

HSC
I guess maybe that I'd prefer to be alive and be sexually humilated by a rogue group of American soldiers than dead. But hey, personal preference.
Well if that's what turns you on, then go to Iraq... For women in Iraq being sexually humiliated is as good as being dead, because that is what it will lead to for them.

Congratulations on condoning human rights violation as an alternative to death.

And no, I don't support the war. But I'm glad someone like you exists... someone has to support the war, someone has to be wrong.

Rorix

HSC
Well if that's what turns you on, then go to Iraq... For women in Iraq being sexually humiliated is as good as being dead, because that is what it will lead to for them.
Cite examples of American soldiers sexually humiliating women, which lead to their death? You've also conviently ignored the rest of the world here.

Congratulations on condoning human rights violation as an alternative to death.
No-one values human rights above death. Otherwise they'd kill themself to prevent their human rights ever been violated.

And no, I don't support the war. But I'm glad someone like you exists... someone has to support the war, someone has to be wrong.
Well, that's really great, I'm glad you stay firm to your beliefs despite being unable to respond to every point I raised except one.

You really are stubbon. I must question why you posted? Do you wish to convince others of your views? Do you wish to strengthen your own beliefs? You're doing neither by saying "lol you support the war therefore you must be wrong roofle doofle".

memories consume
Thanks. I think your anti-Americanism is just as cute.
bah. anti americanism? no way. i love americans. lots of them are very good looking... its george w bush i dont like.

BTW: You still haven't justified why the US should invade Zimbabwe.
well, according to you, a lot of the reasons that apply to the us attacking iraq apply to zimbabwe.....if you're going to attack, attack consistently. but, since zimbabwe doesn't have the same tactical advantages if attacked, they go free.

So all UN peace keeping operations, which I'd think fell under 'military action', were self defence or a response to an imminent threat? I don't think so.
this was not a peace keeping mission. it was a war. there is a disticnt difference.

I guess maybe that I'd prefer to be alive and be sexually humilated by a rogue group of American soldiers than dead. But hey, personal preference
i'm sure prisoners have been killed after or linked to torture. but its hidden by the media. the media often misrepresents the truth. (is it obvious that i'm writing an essay on frontline right now?)
but, y'know...if you like your balls attacked by dogs....

OK. Since you're flirting, can I have a pic?
flirting??? hehehe....has anyone ever flirted with you before....

and come on...my sig says i think i look like a funny muppet. do you really want a pic of that?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC

and come on...my sig says i think i look like a funny muppet. do you really want a pic of that?
Gonzo is cute.

asha_ramirez

HSC
Cite examples of American soldiers sexually humiliating women, which lead to their death? You've also conviently ignored the rest of the world here.
If you had read newspapers like The Australian you would realise that there have been alleged cases where suxually humiliating Iraqi women and then releasing them has lead to their death. There was one case where a woman was forced to expose her breasts, which has allegedly led to her dissappearance and supposed death. Woman in Iraq have been killed by their family for less than what has been inflicted on them by American Soldiers. There has also been the rumour of a note which has escaped the Abu Ghurayb prison were iraq's are being held, which has evidence of women being sexually humiliated; the rumour of this alone is grounds for a woman to be shunned by society and killed by her family to save their name. They consider it a sort of purification to kill the shamed member of their family. Maybe you should read more about the issue before denying its existance?

No-one values human rights above death. Otherwise they'd kill themself to prevent their human rights ever been violated.
In the clash of cultures (this refers to what I have said above about Iraqi women) death is used as a means to purify said human rights violations.

Well, that's really great, I'm glad you stay firm to your beliefs despite being unable to respond to every point I raised except one.

You really are stubbon. I must question why you posted? Do you wish to convince others of your views? Do you wish to strengthen your own beliefs? You're doing neither by saying "lol you support the war therefore you must be wrong roofle doofle".
I don't support the war, and I was unaware that my views were the issue here, whether or not you agree with them they are not going to change. I am really 'stubborn' yes, only because I believe in what I am saying, regardless of your views. I do see cause for the war, I'm not denying that there may be some possitive outcomes of it; even if it is just Australia strengthening its ties with America.

I don't wish to convince others of my views, and I don't need to strengthen my own beliefs by posting on this forum, I just don't agree with what you are saying and I reserve the right to say so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)