Votes: 344 65.4%
  • Howard

Votes: 182 34.6%

• Total voters

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Apparently it's claimed Howard isn't in touch with our generation even though he has the experience, clinging on to the 1950's image of the white picket fence, frankly I believe he's been in office enough time to prove himself worthy of the position, soon it should be for the public to decide...I would vote Latham (Because Howards time is up, RETIRE GODDAMIT!!)

M_J987

Banned
Actually, I support u, Howard all the way. After reading through this thread and seeing the scum who support Latham I would vote for Howard, mainly to prevent such losers as those who actually think Latham could win an election!

M_J987

Banned
Thats because his a liberal and represents the upper class!!

Latham is labor and supports such scum as yourself.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The 'economically progressive' and the socially conservative are who the Liberals tend to represent, while the Labor Party generally represents those who lean towards the left (note the lean). The upper and lower class divisions are no longer as evident as before (although you could argue that Howard is seeking to reintroduce such classifications).

T

timbk2

what do we think about the Latham's super cuts scheme.. ?

i personally think its a great idea.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I think it's hilarious that Howard's adopted it, of course he won't go the step further and reduce his own scheme.

It is a good idea overall, in a democracy the government is meant to be there because of an alturistic belief that they are there to serve society, when they start getting extreme amounts of money that's corrupted as many will go into it for the simple goal of scoring a job that'll give them security for ages to come. That isn't to say they should be underpaid or not paid at all because that will lead to corruption, but a reasonable balance should be struck.

The SMH had a good cartoon in it with Howard saying something like "Why vote for Latham when I can implement his policies before the election?"
Fantastic stuff.

2003HSC

the super stunt was definately a smart move by latham, and howard knew that he would probably be worse off if he were to oppose it. I think Latham is doing a really good job of handling his profile and image and its obvious many australians are warming to him. Of course the average person is going to say they support the super scheme, it sounds good anyway you put it. But seriously, its hardly an important or profound issue that should decide the next election result. My personal view is that Latham will not be a good AUstralian leader. If you watch question time you will see Costello pwning his arse everyday with his previous policies and proposals.

And its not as if Latham's current policies have been made any better. Most of them contradict previous arguments he has made as member for werriwa and shadow treasurer. Then look at his policy 'masterpeice' to focus on family support, community and education. Most of these proposals lack any real benefit at all to the country but they sound really progressive to the average aussie joe who watches ten news and reads the telegraph.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Ever heard of flexibility?

It may not have been a "core" issue, however, it is an interesting demonstration of """""democracy"""""" (haha) at work, and the real idea of a government and opposition (not to mention the leaders of each).

P.S HAHA Costello and Abbott got shot down because they were defending the super/attacking Latham the day before Howard did one of his prize backflips, and now they're in the shit.

Howard moved because Latham had hit the mark. Analysis by Mark Riley.

Mark Latham had his first taste yesterday of what it's like to be Prime Minister. For the first time in eight years of opposition, he got to change the law.

After two days of ridiculing the Labor leader as "Mr Flip-Flop", John Howard executed a spectacular backflip of his own on MPs' superannuation.

Howard explained his decision at a press conference late yesterday as being in keeping with the positive new air pervading federal politics.

He said he had always maintained that if an Opposition leader came up with a good idea, he would act upon it. Apparently, neither Kim Beazley nor Simon Crean had one in the first seven years and eight months of Howard's prime ministership.

But it has taken Latham just two months to produce one so persuasive that it forced Howard to swallow his Government's collective pride and act immediately.

Howard had told a different story to his Government colleagues at a special party room meeting earlier in the afternoon.

Latham had tapped into a rich vein of community disquiet about the enormously generous nature of the MPs' super scheme and the Government would wear the consequences if it did not act immediately to shut him up.

Several Liberal MPs disagreed on the grounds that it would dissuade good quality candidates from entering politics because they could earn more elsewhere.

But that missed Latham's point entirely. His argument was that people should seek public office for the currency of altruism and not the dirty folding stuff.
(My bolding)

Howard conceded in a television interview last night that part of the reason for his move was that the issue risked becoming a diversion. By backing down he was ensuring the debate could focus on "more important issues" like the free trade deal.

He said he would cop one day's bad headlines if it meant he could get back to the real business of government. It didn't seem to matter that two prime ministerial aspirants on his own side of the house suffered in the process.

Peter Costello would be feeling a little worse for wear after being trotted out on Wednesday to defend the super scheme, then hung out to dry the next day by Howard's about-turn. So would Tony Abbott, who attacked Latham's "populist campaign" based on "the politics of envy".

It is now clear the only envy that John Howard felt was for Latham's ability to take a benign issue and turn it into a political weapon.

SMH, 13/2/04

beyond the arc

john howard and the liberal party all the way. no second thoughts or doubts bout it.

forever LIBERAL

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
On the whole I like Latham.. young, energetic, just what Australia needs. Certainly kicks Howard's saggy old ass that's for sure. His policies on immigrants aren't the most humanitarian, but he's still by far the best we've seen for a loooong time.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by jim_green
On the whole I like Latham.. young, energetic, just what Australia needs. Certainly kicks Howard's saggy old ass that's for sure. His policies on immigrants aren't the most humanitarian, but he's still by far the best we've seen for a loooong time.
yep, and i like the fact that he's prepared to sacrifice 2 million dollars of his super. :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But wont Howards super stay the same if Latham wins, so all your doing is incresing super annuation as Latham comes into power due ot his increased salary but Howards is fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)