Latin Continuers! (1 Viewer)

ajaxandacme

HSC
So, how did you guys find the exam?

No more pirate captains!
No more shields!

Methalos

HSC
I found the exam easy but am annoyed because I misread amens as amans and fere as forte. Such dumb mistakes.

Kikkoman

HSC
I found the exam easy but am annoyed because I misread amens as amans and fere as forte. Such dumb mistakes.
I found it pretty good too. No real complaints; only a memory lapse in the prepared (for which I ought to be shot). I wasn't sure what fere was in all honesty, nor amens, but I did at first mistake it for amans. I then thought to myself, (hang on; it's not ambulens... ergo, it's not amens). I was happy though; I remembered reading the Virgil bit in translation :)

mazarati

HSC
I thought it was a really great exam - waaay better than our school's trial paper ^^;. Virgil unseen was fantastic, Cicero unseen comparatively better than others...but as usual I spent way too much time on the comment section Dx. I tend to write essays unnecessarily for questions that aren't really worth that.... so yeah I was writing up to the final 5 mins cutting it pretty fine. Also, I forgot a couple of lines of the Cicero seen which I errrr..., made up on the spot lol.

Oh yeah and I did a trial paper from another school and the Virgil grammar questions were nearly the same!!! hooray!!!

Methalos

HSC
fere means around
amens means out of her mind
I knew both of these because they had come up previously for us in unseens and Caesar. So I'm rather annoyed with myself.

redfield

HSC
Commentary was v-good. Seens should be all good (I looked over the (b) virgil seen 5 mins before the exam, which was fortunate). Grammar unsure about a couple, but not bad overall. Messed up the unseens a bit though. Only left 30 mins for it, and they both didn't come out as 'cleanly' as I would have wanted. Hopefully won't lose too many marks overall.

Did anyone else look at one of the cicero grammar questions and think the answer was temporal, and then temporal wasn't an option? I think the question was on the 'quaererent' in the "cum... ut mos est, ut solet fieri, quaererent" phrase.

Kikkoman

HSC
fere means around
amens means out of her mind
I knew both of these because they had come up previously for us in unseens and Caesar. So I'm rather annoyed with myself.
Yeh, amens means that (silly of me; a-mens, not-mind...), but fere can also mean almost, usually, around etc. I translated it a bit differently; "he was usually in the kingly retinue for a period of two years"

Commentary was v-good. Seens should be all good (I looked over the (b) virgil seen 5 mins before the exam, which was fortunate). Grammar unsure about a couple, but not bad overall. Messed up the unseens a bit though. Only left 30 mins for it, and they both didn't come out as 'cleanly' as I would have wanted. Hopefully won't lose too many marks overall.

Did anyone else look at one of the cicero grammar questions and think the answer was temporal, and then temporal wasn't an option? I think the question was on the 'quaererent' in the "cum... ut mos est, ut solet fieri, quaererent" phrase.
I looked over it like that too! The Virgil seen, that is. Really thankful for that :)
The Cicero one, I thought it was temporal at first, but I think it made much more sense as concessive, even though I hadn't thought of it like that previously

Methalos

HSC
What do you guys think about nemini? Why was it dative? Clearly not predicative. Can't be agent because aspiciendi is a gerund not a gerundive. I thought it would have to be possessive because facio doesn't take a dative, but I wasn't sure whether that was what they meant by "dependant on verb" or whether that meant "indirect object" which would have been my first choice.

redfield

HSC
I was tossing both of those over for a while. I initially thought possession, but discarded that for agent I think. But now looking back it really doesn't seem like agent at all. I'm still surprised that temporal wasn't an option with the 'quaererent'.

Did anyone find the structure of the cicero commentary odd? 2, 4, 6 and 8 markers? Good questions, but having two longer responses for the one commentary section was a bit different. The Virgil commentary was very good as well. They gave you room to talk about lots of stuff.

Kikkoman

HSC
I don't think agent or predicative made sense at all. It was between the other two; I put possessive because there was the form of "esse", but then again that was more likely to have gone with the facta. Confusing, but at the same time, "facta" doesn't usually take a dative, so it would be absurd to say that it's dependent on a verb; not like after all forms of "esse" (abesse, deesse etc) that take the dative etc

ajaxandacme

HSC
I dunno. I put down it as dependent on verb because well, it didn't seem like any of the others for me. I think I'll ask my latin teacher for her opinion on the matter.
With quaererent, I thought that it was concessive, how I translated it anyway =D Grammar was pretty easy I think, not any real tricky ones except the nemini.

Unseens... well, they're always alright. Wonder how they mark it... hmm...

Comment = lots and lots of rambling and then linking back to the question. Fun.

I think that there's about 100 or so people doing Extension... I think.

redfield

HSC
Yeh, the nemini I mucked up. Out of curiosity, how much did everyone write for the commentary questions? I know I tried to keep it concise with plenty of analysis. But I'm not completely sure of the length they expect for the commentaries, particularly the 7/8 mark ones.

mazarati

HSC
Yeh, the nemini I mucked up. Out of curiosity, how much did everyone write for the commentary questions? I know I tried to keep it concise with plenty of analysis. But I'm not completely sure of the length they expect for the commentaries, particularly the 7/8 mark ones.
I wrote a booklet each for the 7/8 mark ones. It's really hard to know how much they want and hence where to stop.

Kikkoman

HSC
One booklet each?!?! A booklet being 4 pages? I wrote like, 2 for Cicero 8 marker and 1.5 for Virgil 7 marker, roughly.

Methalos

HSC
For 6 marks I wrote 2.5 pages for 7 marks I wrote 3 pages for 8 I wrote 3.5. But I thought that was over the top, but I had the time so I used it.

Methalos

HSC
185 people did continuers.
102 people will do extension.

redfield

HSC
A booklet for each of them? That's quite incredible (assuming you filled an 8 pg booklet). Perhaps a bit of overkill there. I wrote 2 for 6 marks 4 pages for 8 marks and 3 for 7 marks.

And I thought I may have overdone it...

Last edited:

ajaxandacme

HSC
I did 3 pages each for the Virgil-7 / Cicero-8 marker.
2.5 pages for the Cicero 6 marker.
And my writing's pretty small so I'm happy with that.
I kept on referencing the question. Hehehe.

Also, Redfield, I just have to say this, you're a freak =p Great results!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)